Talk

Advanced search

DH is emailling old friend, 10 times in three weeks......

(34 Posts)
ThePosieParker Wed 05-Oct-11 08:12:42

He left his fb page up, in fact mine was up at the same time and they merged....so I could see my profile picture and wall but his name on the right and his messages, was weird. So in his messages, which I thought were mine until I clicked, were 10 exchanges from him and an old school friend. Lots of smilies, ggl (not lol which was cringeworthy enough) and little mention of me.

Now I wouldn't put cheating passed anyone, let alone my DH...rumours have not exactly never mentioned him, even on the internet. We have had many an issue in our relationship, but cheating would be the end if I ever found out for sure. I'm not sure I'd be heartbroken, just wouldn't ever forget.

So AIBU to sit him down and have a talk about the route to cheating and how one minute your marriage is dull, you catch up with an old friend, you reminisce and then hey presto you're having to decide whether or not you'll kiss.....

ThePosieParker Wed 05-Oct-11 08:15:02

In one line he tells her he'd love to see her strutting her stuff on stage and could she post a link on youtube.....

ffs.

ThePosieParker Wed 05-Oct-11 08:16:09

Oh and how a dodgy night was made up for by her company.....

KaFayOLay Wed 05-Oct-11 08:23:45

Speak to him about it, you'll only fester over it otherwise.

If it were my dh, I'd be bloody furious about it tbh!!

ThePosieParker Wed 05-Oct-11 08:25:48

they haven't seen eachother for twenty years.

LeBOF Wed 05-Oct-11 08:26:42

It's funny how straight people never seem to exchange as many emails with "old friends" of the same sex though, isn't it?

KaFayOLay Wed 05-Oct-11 08:30:45

She's probably very far removed from the nubile young girl he remembers then grin.

Sounds like he's having that 'I hate getting old' feeling that creeps up on us at times, well it does me.

What are her mails like? Is she equally as deluded effusive as him?

rogersmellyonthetelly Wed 05-Oct-11 08:34:27

Um I dunno actually, I have emailed my ex (19years ago) 8 times yesterday, we didn't realise we live quite close now and even after splitting up we stayed good friends, so it can be perfectly innocent.

whatdoiknowanyway Wed 05-Oct-11 08:48:39

Not necessarily an issue. Many of my old friends are male (went to a predominantly male university) and we have a very affectionate relationship even 30 years on.
We don't meet regularly (group dispersed all over the world) but we email, are maybe slightly flirtatious but never did anything about it 30 years ago and certainly wouldn't now. It's just how we communicate.
Our partners know that we are really, truly, just good friends. Men and women can be friends you know hmm

queenrollo Wed 05-Oct-11 09:11:41

my Dh has recently got in touch with a woman who he was very good friends with all through his school years. They chatted a LOT in the first couple of weeks, they had a lot to catch up on.
I'm not bothered because I trust him absolutely, he has shared some of the conversation with me (like why he was suddenly laughing, she'd reminded him of an event he'd forgotten about) and I know if i text him now for his password to read the messages he wouldn't have a problem with it.

You do need to talk to him about it. It'll just fester and the resentment will grow if you don't.

ShoutyHamster Wed 05-Oct-11 09:14:04

'So AIBU to sit him down and have a talk about the route to cheating and how one minute your marriage is dull, you catch up with an old friend, you reminisce and then hey presto you're having to decide whether or not you'll kiss.....'

- Well no, I'd sit him down and inform him that the couple of snippets you've recounted here had already crossed a line as far as I was concerned, and I'd be asking him how he plans to rectify the situation. Sounds like you have as low a tolerance for not only cheating but also dickish behaviour as me, so I think you'd perhaps get more out of that approach smile

Clue: rectifying would most definitely include no more emails... Sorry, but what's the point of beating around the bush? He's flirting. He's being a tosser. Me would no likey...

ThePosieParker Wed 05-Oct-11 09:15:01

Trouble is it's just not like him....he's mailed old male friends with a paragraph in 10 weeks... And the smilies and ggls are eeeeewwww. Ffs when I was away with the dcs for 8 weeks hw didn't have as much to say. "did you go to the gym?" Is not catching up!

ShoutyHamster Wed 05-Oct-11 09:17:17

By the way - of course men and women can be friends. Me and DH have good friends of both sexes, no issue.

But neither of us would be messaging old schoolfriends that we hadn't seen for twenty years in those terms - that isn't good friends being affectionate and loving to each other, no. That's flirting. Disingenuous to claim otherwise.

Also, your first post suggests that at some level you don't trust him, already. That adds to the picture, for me.

ThePosieParker Wed 05-Oct-11 12:41:53

Shouty. There's stuff on the internet about him warning young girls in his company that he'll tell them about how his wife doesn't understand him and blah ablha..... all sounds feasible given everything else on the rumour site is real!! Although I think those behaviours are about 4/5 years old, possibly when I still thought I was madly in love.

StealthPolarBear Wed 05-Oct-11 12:48:11

TPP sorry to bring up my knowledge of previous issues you've had but isn't this one thing in a long line of issues?

I wouldn't have a problem with my DH chatting to an old school friend - I know he did it a little while ago and she came round to see us. I would have a problem with the sorts of comments you are talking about.

MissPenteuth Wed 05-Oct-11 12:48:58

He's on a rumour site? Is he famous then?

ShoutyHamster Wed 05-Oct-11 12:58:13

Posie - red flags everywhere, then sad

I don't know your backstory, but - how long have you been together? Do you have children? Do you love him? More to the point, do you respect him? It doesn't sound as if you do... you sound kind of resigned to his being a bit of a tit, you sound as if you've already girded your loins a long time ago and are kind of grim-faced about him. If that makes sense.

If that's the case...well, we only get one life. One that's too short to spend feeling grim-faced about living with a knob-end...

Proudnscary Wed 05-Oct-11 13:04:50

I am so confused

weejimmykrankie Wed 05-Oct-11 13:18:56

WTF is a rumour site??

squeakytoy Wed 05-Oct-11 13:22:35

posie, facebook has changed, and chat conversations now all appear in messages after you have had the conversation, so is it possible that this was a short chat conversation that they have had, rather than exchanging messages?

I was chatting to someone the other night for about an hour, and the next morning I read it all back... which I have to say was rather amusing as I was slightly under the influence the previous night...

blondie80 Wed 05-Oct-11 13:26:29

Shouty -more to the point, does OP respect herself?

ThePosieParker Wed 05-Oct-11 16:18:56

Rumour site is specific to the company my DH works for, some very disgruntled ex employees. Most of the claims are true about others, sexual harassment in NY office, affairs, drug taking etc....

And these messages are pms, and very very long....each is around four five long paragraphs.

ENormaSnob Wed 05-Oct-11 16:25:20

Posie, I remember a few of your previous threads.

With all due respect I think you are being played a fool. This man can't be trusted at all and will never change.

You are worth more.

gallicgirl Wed 05-Oct-11 16:28:48

Has he mentioned these chats to you?

I think that would be a big indicator of his state of mind for me. If he says, "oh I heard from friend yesterday, we were chatting about x,y and z" then I wouldn't be so concerned. Pissed off, yes, but not worried he was going to cheat so much.

But if he's kept the contact a secret then I'd be wanting to know why and letting him know how I feel about that.

ThePosieParker Wed 05-Oct-11 16:33:52

He thinks it's fine and I'm making a fuss, which I am not. I am simply pointing out what steps we can avoid to not cheat.....

I am no Angel and enjoy flirting with men, but it has to be in realistically distant parameters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now