Talk

Advanced search

to think this woman deserves some sort of certificate for magnificent overthinking?

(41 Posts)
CauldronsTrulyReign Tue 04-Oct-11 21:40:59

Dropped one to the Chaotics off at an activity tonight and crossed paths with another parent who I know from sight and from dropping off at this place.

She was paying as I was dropping off and her DC (about 6?) was nagging to pass the cash to the leader, and this woman would not let the child have the cash, and actually looked quite horrified at the thought.

As we both headed back to the cars, she started talking to me about the PassingOverOfCashIncident hmm and, told me that she never allowed her DC to pass money to adults as it would make the adult feel humiliated to be paid, and therefore subservient (her word shock) to a minor.

<<sniggers>>

AIBU to think this is overthinking on a grand scale?

zookeeper Tue 04-Oct-11 21:42:16

Utterly bonkers

ElderberrySyrup Tue 04-Oct-11 21:43:47

that's a bit crappy really as it implies she feels superior to people who she is paying.

mistressploppy Tue 04-Oct-11 21:43:51

YANBU. What a loon

Yes, Chaos. Nonsense on a grand scale of nothing else to think about.

SexualHarrassmentPandaPop Tue 04-Oct-11 21:44:08

YANBU. I used to work in a shop and always used to find it quite cute when little kids got their little coin purses out and counted their pennies!

TheOriginalFAB Tue 04-Oct-11 21:44:38

She feels she is doing the right thing but massively gets it wrong.

Kids love to feel grown up by handing over money.

unpa1dcar3r Tue 04-Oct-11 21:45:16

She's been reading too many Victorian novels!
Total fruit loop.

Ineedacleaneriamalazyslattern Tue 04-Oct-11 21:45:26

Utterly bonkers actually snorted at reading that.

That is major major overthinking. I worked in a shop and it never occured to me to feel humiliated serving minors hmm

CauldronsTrulyReign Tue 04-Oct-11 21:45:42

Elderberry, yup, that's what I gleaned from her attitude. sad

Vallhala Tue 04-Oct-11 21:46:23

Jeez I wish that's all I had to be mortified about! Yanbu she's a fruitcake.

emsyj Tue 04-Oct-11 21:46:33

That is weird. I used to work in a shop and kids just love paying and being given the bag. It's sweet and lovely to watch their faces light up as you say 'thank you' for the money, count out the change for them and hand over the bag for them to carry. Their chests puff up and they feel grown up and everything <weeps>.

It is very strange to view someone receiving payment for something as being subservient to the payer. Odd.

Trills Tue 04-Oct-11 21:47:33

YABU because it is the 4th of October

(haven't even read the OP, got distracted by the name)

Minus273 Tue 04-Oct-11 21:47:37

Overthinking? She is being a complete and utter snob, how pompous and ridiculous. I too think it's cute when a wee one pays.

YANBU.

I was really expecting you to say because there would be germs on the money or something. And if you had you would still NBU.

How weird of her.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 04-Oct-11 21:48:53

God, my DC fight over who gets to 'do the money' in the bakers, and they love getting the change too!

Odd woman YANBU

Trills Tue 04-Oct-11 21:49:15

YANBU to think that being paid does not = being subservient.

GreenMonkies Tue 04-Oct-11 21:51:03

My girls love paying for stuff, especially if it is something for them. When I worked in shops I never felt demeaned if a child paid for something, I thought it was lovely that they were feeling so grown-up.

She's got ishoos.

Oggy Tue 04-Oct-11 21:51:04

What is Chaotics??

unpa1dcar3r Tue 04-Oct-11 21:51:17

Also how will her children learn about money at a young age if she doesn't allow them to experiment...My girls used to count everything up at the till and I'd give them the money and ask how much change they should expect. Great way of getting them yo add up and take away.
But this loon actually uses the word 'subservient' FFS, this concept would clearly go over her head as she's too busy being bonkers.

Gotta ask though, did you reply and what did you say?

peeriebear Tue 04-Oct-11 21:51:25

How odd. I work in a toy shop and often the child gets to 'pay' for the toy they have chosen. I certainly don't feel subservient, what an idea!

Trills Tue 04-Oct-11 21:51:29

The exchange of money in return for goods or services is an agreement between equals, IMO.

Each has something that the other wants. They swap, and both are satisfied.

caramelwaffle Tue 04-Oct-11 21:51:38

One way I have stopped my child from clinging to my bloomin' leg gain confidence and independence when out, is to get them to pay, and take the change in shops.

The woman is barmy.

caramelwaffle Tue 04-Oct-11 21:53:07

That does not make sense ^

<shrugs>

She is still barmy...

CauldronsTrulyReign Tue 04-Oct-11 21:53:31

Do you think it's slightly different because we're paying for a service rather than goods? confused

I am trying to be charitable but struggling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now