Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to complain and if IANBU who do I complain to?

(9 Posts)

I was in the pharmacy today picking up some medication and got collared by the pharmacist about some new fangled scheme the government has set up for people with chronic conditions that means the pharmacist checks you're taking your medication properly and are on the right stuff.

Anyway I was taken into the consulting room where a computer had been left on and was full of patient information - names, prescribing doctor and medications. I think whoever had been in there previously was conducting a stock check or an audit or something or other. Either way. I should not have been privvy to this information - data protection and all that.

AIBU to want to let someone within the chain of well known branded shoe type pharmacists know and if IANBU who do I let know?

squeakytoy Tue 04-Oct-11 20:03:15

Were you left in there on your own?

I cant see that very much information would be visible on one screen tbh...

joruth Tue 04-Oct-11 20:04:01

Yes, write to the managing pharmacist of that store. I think that's dreadful re patient conf. the NHS spends billions on schemes to keep that sort of thing confidential

Deesus Tue 04-Oct-11 20:05:18

Well it's not great but sounds like a genuine mistake ie someone didn't log out when they should have. I would have just alerted the pharmacist to the fact as soon as I noticed it.

squeaktoy yes briefly but it was visible to me on one screen. It was in database form

Sirname, Initial, Prescribing Doctor, Medication

There were other bits of information on the screen but I didn't see, I was, tbh, scanning the screen to check my name wasn't on it blush as I wouldn't have been happy for someone else to see my medication!

I wonder if it was their pick up repeat prescription service.

joruth Thanks.

deesus I would have had the pharmacist I was talking to not been faffing around with bits of paper around the computer and could clearly see herself it was still logged on. She seemed utterly unconcerned.

ballstoit Tue 04-Oct-11 20:12:10

YANBU...I would not be happy for many people where I live to know the medications I am prescribed. This could, potentially, be really embarassing for someone.

I would probably ring and chat to the manager at the pharmacy...they need to review their IT system so that, if nothing else, the screen is only visible to the pharmacist, or the screensaver also closes down the patients record on screen after a certain period of time.

iklboo Tue 04-Oct-11 20:16:19

Could it have been a dummy screen with sample info on? Our training database has realistic looking names & info but it's all made up stuff.

LineRunner Tue 04-Oct-11 20:21:22

Oh dear Lordy. Just this year I've been sent someone else's prescription and someone else's bank statement.

Data protection my arse.

You can be kind and let them know they have an issue - or you could advise/complain to the Information Commissioner. If it's a large company, which I guess it is, I would be tempted to do the latter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now