Talk

Advanced search

to be really irritated that DH has passed on his love of pickled onions to DS?

(30 Posts)
mutha2two Tue 04-Oct-11 19:19:15

I have just got a whiff of pickled onion breath from my DS - he's been helping himself to DH's jar in fridge. DH has a fondness for some of my food-related pet hates: piccalilli, the aforementioned, licquorice and HP sauce - all revolting. Can't bear the thought of others indulging in my household.. or am I just being a food snob?

LetThereBeRock Tue 04-Oct-11 19:20:45

YABU re pickled onions.They're lovely.

YANBU re liquorice and HP sauce.

squeakytoy Tue 04-Oct-11 19:22:36

yabu.... pickled onions are heavenly.. and are such a short lived joy too..

As a child/teen I could eat a whole jar full.... now an adult, too many and I get that burning chronic indigestion.. so let him enjoy them while he can!!

mutha2two Tue 04-Oct-11 19:23:24

Would love to know what else everyone hates but has to tolerate the presence of in cupboards or fridge to keep DH/DC's happy. I could go on...

BatsUpMeNightie Tue 04-Oct-11 19:24:50

So with ya Mutha! I hate pickled onions, hate piccalili, hate HP sauce, hate mustard <<<boaks just thinking about that>>>. I bloody hate capers too. Filthy horrible evil little bastards. My friend likes all of those as does OH. Disgusting.

greenbananas Tue 04-Oct-11 19:25:50

YABU about pickled onions and HP sauce - they are so lovely smile
Liquorice is revolting and YANBU at all.

squeakytoy Tue 04-Oct-11 19:26:48

Its the other way around in our house Mutha.. I eat all sorts of weird stuff, but my husband is a bit more picky... he stole a slice of my home made pizza last night and was gagging after a mouthful of capers and anchovies!

champagnesupernova Tue 04-Oct-11 19:27:20

My Dh has passed his love of honey to my DS
Can't bear the stuff
Breakfast is unbearably sticky now.
UGH

mumsamilitant Tue 04-Oct-11 19:27:59

Well you are really but I am too. It irritates me when DP sloshes HP sauce all over my fab spag bols. It irritates me when my DS puts ketchup on EVERTHING. Boy could I fill a page! smile

Have a DS that is what I prefer to call a "super taster". Grrrrrr, BUT it probably saved his life as he has a moderate to severe nut allergy and carries an epi-pen.

mutha2two Tue 04-Oct-11 19:29:26

When I first met DH I made him pasta with puttanesca sauce (yes from Delia's summer cookbook circa. 1993) which has capers and anchovies. Have converted him to capers but anchovies he still heaves at. He never set a word about it BTW - god knows how he got it down.

Kayano Tue 04-Oct-11 19:30:07

I bet your DH and DS will LOVE A1 Steak sauce. Go get them some!

drools

mutha2two Tue 04-Oct-11 19:31:29

talking of sloshing sauces mumsamilitant, my DH insists on anointing almost everything (roast dinners excepted) with tabasco - even when there's fresh chopped chilli in it - WTF?

SheCutOffTheirTails Tue 04-Oct-11 19:34:58

YABU about pickled onions. My Dad passed his love of them on to me smile

The foodstuff (well beverage, really) that I think is revolting but have to suffer because of DH (and every other fucker in the world, it seems grin ) is tea.

Boiled leaves and mammary fluids - vom.

KatieScarlett2833 Tue 04-Oct-11 19:37:49

Warm pickled onions lightly tossed in chippy jus served with a melange of pommes frites

mmmmmmmmm

mutha2two Tue 04-Oct-11 19:40:54

Katie, sounds hilariously disgusting - no doubt served in a 'petit cone au papier'

deemented Tue 04-Oct-11 19:42:11

Manshape has passed his love of pork scratchings onto my lot. The hairier the better, apparently...

TrillianAstra Tue 04-Oct-11 19:44:36

You're not a food snob, unless you (wrongly) think that pickled onions are lower class, rather than just not liking them.

If DH ate anchovies for you and doesn't complain about them being eaten of being in the house then you can't fairly ask to ban pickled onions (which are much less offensive).

mutha2two Tue 04-Oct-11 19:45:15

Deemented have to confess I quite like those and have been known to furtively scoff a bag when a craving hits...

Chandon Tue 04-Oct-11 19:46:43

we eat capers, pickled onions and gherkins straight from the jar!

all of us.

Euphemia Tue 04-Oct-11 19:47:03

YABU - chez nous it's beetroot. The stuff turns my stomach; DH loves it and now DD loves it. angry

mutha2two Tue 04-Oct-11 19:50:24

Trillian - if I tried to ban pickled onions I'd be on a hiding to nowhere. It's that horrid vinegary tang that hacks me off massively. DH only put up with the anchovies because it was early dating and he was on best behaviour. Now as a seasoned couple he has no hesitation in telling me what he likes/hates - and is very blunt about my cooking (and not always in a good way). Luckily he cooks as well and when he gets it wrong I can be equally frank.

zukiecat Tue 04-Oct-11 19:55:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheGhostNotMe Tue 04-Oct-11 19:56:02

Quavers. They make me want to hurl. The smell, the texture. eeeew. But I every now and then let the children have them as they love them.

Pickled onions on the other hand, heavenly. The spicier the better.

TreeHouses Tue 04-Oct-11 19:56:38

Pickled onions are great.
YABU !

Splinters Tue 04-Oct-11 20:02:26

I used to think capers were of the devil.
Now I think they are amazing.

Happily DH and I agree that milk is vile and we don't want it in the house.

He can hardly bear even to look at my bottle of ketchup though, never mind bring it to the table for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now