Talk

Advanced search

To challenge my friend on what she is eating?

(61 Posts)
HullEnzia Tue 04-Oct-11 17:32:31

I think my friend is starving herself. She is totally in denial about her weight, says she's massive, fat, frumpy etc when the truth is she's about 5ft 10in and only weighs 10st. She is skinny, she just doesn't see that.

She makes out that she eats a healthy balanced diet but today for example she has eaten: cooked meat and grated cheese on a TEACUP size plate for breakfast. Nothing else until lunchtime when she ate a chicken salad (with nothing in it other than chicken, lettuce and cucumber) with a tiny actimal yogurt and for dinner she's had a small slice of pizza with more salad and that's all she's eat all day.

I am actually worried about her to the point where I feel I should say something.

usualsuspect Tue 04-Oct-11 17:33:53

She doesn't sound very underweight tbh

how do you know what she eats everyday?

KatieScarlett2833 Tue 04-Oct-11 17:34:29

Sounds fine to me.

worraliberty Tue 04-Oct-11 17:35:15

Doesn't sound underweight at all to me confused

StrandedBear Tue 04-Oct-11 17:35:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThePumpkinKing Tue 04-Oct-11 17:36:34

That sounds pretty O.K.

I think we're so used to stupidly large portions of everything in this country, that when we find someone who eats only what they need, it seems odd.

HullEnzia Tue 04-Oct-11 17:36:41

It's the portion sizes though, they're tiny like what you'd give a guinea pig. I know she isn't underweight but she keeps saying her goal is 9st and she is losing weight quite quickly.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 04-Oct-11 17:37:11

if she views herself as fat and frumpy at that weight and height then she does have issues with her body image.

worraliberty Tue 04-Oct-11 17:37:22

Meat, cheese, chicken, salad, yoghurt and pizza sounds like a pretty healthy balance to me.

GetOrfMo1Land Tue 04-Oct-11 17:37:56

Are you my mate grin

I am a little taller than that and that is what I weigh when I am at my 'fighting' weight.

As I have got older this has taken a bit more maintenance than when I was younger, so I would eat like your friend in the week, and more at weekends.

I think it is healthy tbh. That is not underweight for that height.

squeakytoy Tue 04-Oct-11 17:38:12

That doesnt sound too bad. Lots of protein. She doesnt sound at all underweight either.

Are you with her 24/7 to monitor this food intake? smile

MrsVoltar Tue 04-Oct-11 17:38:52

Don't think that sounds too underweight, slim yes. I would try not to comment on weight & size, unless she brings it up.

Just be positive towards her and challenge her when she says she's fat, perhaps she's a bit down/stressed.

worraliberty Tue 04-Oct-11 17:39:52

Hardly anyone is 100% happy with their body and not everyone eats large portion sizes.

I've always been a small portion eater and I never really snack between meals.

It's just the way I am, but a lot of people think it's strange because they eat way more than me.

Each to their own (avoids saying 'horses for courses) wink

LeBOF Tue 04-Oct-11 17:40:42

Well that wouldn't feed me, that's for sure. But it's still rude to comment if she isn't dangerously thin. Just file it under NOYB, and quietly roll your eyes.

usualsuspect Tue 04-Oct-11 17:42:12

I only eat small portions,I just eat a lot of them grin

KatieScarlett2833 Tue 04-Oct-11 17:46:11

Me too, usual I believe the term is "grazer" like the moo cow <that I am>

Serenitysutton Tue 04-Oct-11 17:47:24

I don't think she's underweight. slim people don't generally eat as much as overweight people, that's how she stays slim.

PetiteRaleuse Tue 04-Oct-11 17:49:01

Sounds fine!

Tee2072 Tue 04-Oct-11 17:53:04

Sounds like she's eating a very healthy amount of the right kinds of foods. Leave her be.

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 04-Oct-11 17:53:17

She's probably just got a small appetite.
I'm 5'4' and size 8-10. I can have days like that and other days when I'll eat more. You're not there with her all the time.

said Tue 04-Oct-11 17:54:17

Lots of calories in cheese though. She's low-carbing, which is supposed to be good for weight control/and providing enough calories. I feel hungry though, reading that

worraliberty Tue 04-Oct-11 17:55:40

It's great she's eating breakfast

I haven't been able to eat before lunch time since I was about 12yrs old...I'd have loads more energy if I could.

simonthedog Tue 04-Oct-11 17:56:53

It is a BMI of 20 so is ok. At 9st she would be underweight with a BMI of 18.
I'm 5' 10, the lightest I've been was 10st 3 on my wedding day and I was skinny then, but it would depend on your frame.

mickeyjohn Tue 04-Oct-11 17:57:12

I am that height and also weigh ten stone! I am by no means underweight - I am slim but there's still a bit of love handle there....even 9 stone is not REALLY thin for 5 ft 10 - it'd be thin, but i've been that thin before and no-one thought it was too thin (sigh....i'd love people to try and fatten me up, but no-one does grin I'd say leave her alone and let her get on with her eating how she likes - unless you're with her 247 you don't know that she doesn't go home and stuff herself with piles of pudding every night anyway!!

Ephiny Tue 04-Oct-11 18:02:49

I don't think we can really comment based on one day's meals. Some people prefer to eat small meals and snack/graze inbetween. Some eat lightly and healthily when others are watching and not so much when they're not! Some eat very little some days and more on other days, according to how hungry they feel.

10st sounds fine. It would be overweight for me, but as she's quite tall it's probably about right for her. The diet you describe doesn't sound like a lot of food, but it doesn't sound like 'starving herself' either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now