Talk

Advanced search

if I go through the green channel despite having something to declare?

(19 Posts)
Kladdkaka Tue 04-Oct-11 15:38:57

In order to avoid a load of unnecessary pointless beaurocratic red tape?

Tee2072 Tue 04-Oct-11 15:39:24

Just don't get caught.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 04-Oct-11 15:40:05

How shifty are you likely to look?

strandednomore Tue 04-Oct-11 15:41:39

You are breaking the law?

YusMilady Tue 04-Oct-11 15:42:14

YABU. Do the right thing. You'll feel better for it.

strandednomore Tue 04-Oct-11 15:42:18

Err so YABU.

Kladdkaka Tue 04-Oct-11 15:45:33

There's never anyone around. I'm talking about the ones on the motorways in Europe. It's like going through an unmanned toll booth. You have to go out of your way to declare something.

I'm travelling soon with my dogs. I am supposed to declare them as they are not allowed through without the proper vaccinations. They've had them all and all the paperwork is in order. But there is never anyone in the red channel and once you're there, you're committed. Last time there was a phone number stuck up on the window that we had to ring to get someone to come out. We then had to wait for 2 hours for the guy to come out (from home). He just counted the dogs, counted the passports then opened the barrier. He didn't even look at their vaccination records.

strandednomore Tue 04-Oct-11 15:47:54

Hmmm ok yes I see what you mean. Not sure then. I can't tell you what to do but I see why you might just go through the green channel....

Kladdkaka Tue 04-Oct-11 15:53:44

I wouldn't dream of doing it coming into the UK. It's obvious they take it very seriously and they check everything with a fine tooth comb. But these others just don't seem particularly bothered and I know that everything is correct and upto date (it has to be to get into the UK).

TheTenantOfWildfellHall Tue 04-Oct-11 17:24:26

Kladdkaka - ssh don't let the DM hear you say that. If it's so difficult to get dogs into the country, how come it's so easy.... and all that. wink

Kladdkaka Tue 04-Oct-11 17:41:14

Coz dogs kick off if you try hide them in the petrol tank.

TheSmallClanger Tue 04-Oct-11 17:46:20

You must declare, as if you are caught without the correct permission, they could be taken away from you (admittedly only temporarily) and you will be fined.

Are you able to ring and make an appointment at Border Control, or at least ring ahead to request the presence of someone from the Animals team?

Andrewofgg Tue 04-Oct-11 18:17:09

I have been in Blue - which should be even easier than Green - when a couple were caught with a tiny dog hidden in a bag - I think tipped off by cabin crew and rightly so. The man was shouting, the woman was howling and the dog was barking. But they dog would not be barking for much longer . . . and of course there is a sense in which the man and the woman were also barking.

Kladdkaka Tue 04-Oct-11 18:29:41

That sounds more like they were trying to sneak past with an undocumented animal, which I completely agree is out of order.

Border controls in Europe are either entirely absent, so even though you are supposed to declare animals, you can't. The only way you know you're passing the border as you fly down the motorway is a sign saying 'Welcome to Germany'. Other countries, like Sweden, insist on keeping their controls but can't be arsed to actually put anyone on them. One of my husband's colleagues was bringing in a legal hunting rifle. He had to declare this. Nobody there, rang the number only to be told by the inspector that he was 'at home, was having his dinner, had had a glass a wine so could he come back tomorrow? No? Well can you come here, the address is ...'. shockgrin

Andrewofgg Tue 04-Oct-11 18:46:13

Indeed Kladd that was the problem. Trying to avoid quarantine, I expect.

I know about the open land borders, having driven through them on many occasions. Interesting about Sweden. As far as Customs go you get the same effect crossing into France through the tunnel - never anybody there.

TheSmallClanger Tue 04-Oct-11 18:46:53

It sounds as if you've made up your mind on this one.

One thing I will say is this: do not fuck with Border Control officials. If you disobey the rules, they will come down on you like a ton of bricks. Although an Animals officer has the fewest powers of all of them, they can and will make your life difficult if you decide that the rules are too inconvenient for you.

I don't mean to be nasty, but it is true, and it annoys me when people get caught and use inconvenience as an excuse.

oopslateagain Tue 04-Oct-11 19:05:47

I came right across Europe with my cat asleep on the back seat. I blithely ignored all the Customs sheds as I had never, in four years of driving back and forth, ever seen anyone manning them.

I did stop at Calais though. grin

Kladdkaka Tue 04-Oct-11 21:50:19

Clanger, I haven't made up my mind, honestly. I'm an aspie, I'm pathologically predisposed to follow rules religiously, even if I think they're completely daft and everyone else is ignoring them. It just feels a bit like turning up at church on a Sunday so the vicar can supervise your archery practise.

Pedallleur Tue 04-Oct-11 21:58:37

You've decided to do it so go ahead. But should you get caught are you then flagged by Euro/UK Passport Control?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now