Talk

Advanced search

To return unwanted dolly given to DD?

(77 Posts)
HollyFP Tue 04-Oct-11 14:44:57

DD received a late birthday present recently from family friends, their 7yo DD chose it (she told me this). I do appreciate the gift and the thought but I just don't like what it is: a 'baby stella' dolly thing.
Not my cup of tea at all and my DD doesn't show signs of wanting to play with dollies yet.

They included a gift receipt with the package so I presume they are giving me the option to return it anyway if I want...I guess I feel bad cos it was chosen by their sweet DD who has taken a shine to mine, it feels a bit ungrateful.

Tbh they wouldn't know either way if we kept it or returned it unless they specifically asked. And who does that?! grin

HollyFP Tue 04-Oct-11 14:45:37

Meant to add, I'd of course choose something else instead, not pocket the cash blush

pocketfullofposies Tue 04-Oct-11 14:47:04

Does it matter if it's not your cup of tea if it's not for you?

valiumredhead Tue 04-Oct-11 14:47:07

If they gave you the receipt, why not?

KatieMiddleton Tue 04-Oct-11 14:47:13

YAnBU to swap it for something else.

Ywbu to return it to them which is what I thought you were asking before I read your op!

Whatevertheweather Tue 04-Oct-11 14:48:14

How old is your dd? No idea what a baby stella doll is but I would definitely keep it. Especially if the 7yr old comes to your house she might ask where it is

AKMD Tue 04-Oct-11 14:49:22

I thought the same at KateMiddleton and was about to say how shockingly rude that would be...

YANBU. They included a gift receipt and if your DD doesn't like it then it's no problem to return it to get something she would like.

TheTenantOfWildfellHall Tue 04-Oct-11 14:49:48

I'd never heard of baby stella dolls and when I just googled it, it was nothing like I expected it to be.

What is wrong with it?

What is your cup of tea?

I'm a bit hmm about a lot of toys, but really can't see the problem with that.

GooseyLoosey Tue 04-Oct-11 14:50:10

If they left a gift receipt in with it, I would say that is what they intended you to do if your dd didn't like it.

YummyHoney Tue 04-Oct-11 14:50:18

If they've included the gift receipt, then, clearly, they don't mind you changing it.

TheTenantOfWildfellHall Tue 04-Oct-11 14:50:50

How old is your DD?

NatashaBee Tue 04-Oct-11 14:53:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

catsrus Tue 04-Oct-11 14:53:42

I'd keep it - it's not particularly offensive IMO (seen a lot worse!) and your DD might grow to love it - esp as it's a gift from this older girl - little girls always tend to adore the older ones and it was sweet of her to choose it.

pocketfullofposies Tue 04-Oct-11 14:56:10

I've awlays assumed gift receipts are included in case either something doesn't fit (clothes) or you already have one. I've never included a receipt in case someone wants to buy something else, may as well just give a gift voucher or cash in those circumstances.

TheSecondComing Tue 04-Oct-11 14:56:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chocolatchaud Tue 04-Oct-11 14:57:03

Baby Stella is a lovely doll - I am quite surprised you don't like it! (And I am definitely not a doll fan)

If your DD has just turned 1, I would think in a few months she will really enjoy playing with it. My DD loves taking the dummy on and off, and you can add to it with accessories (which your friends will probably do for years to come - bit of a disaster if you no longer have the doll!)

I would keep it, and agree that the girl who chose it may well ask after it if she visits.

MissPenteuth Tue 04-Oct-11 14:58:41

chocolatchaud beat me to it; we bought DD a baby Stella for her 1st birthday. She's now 19mo and loves cuddling and 'feeding' her.

TheTenantOfWildfellHall Tue 04-Oct-11 14:58:47

I'm finding it difficult to be offended by Baby Stella tbh, and I'm offended by many, many toys.

Such as these <shudder>

chocolatchaud Tue 04-Oct-11 15:00:22

tenant - eugh!

HollyFP Tue 04-Oct-11 15:00:35

My DD is 14 months. It's not my cup of tea partly because im just not into dollies, but also cos DD prefers different kinds of toys atm, books, animals etc. I can't say I'm inclined to keep a toy for however many years on the off-chance she'll decide to start playing with it.
The friend's DD has never been to our house and is only likely to at DD's birthdays each year. I doubt shed remember the dolly next time.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Tue 04-Oct-11 15:00:49

I Googled it too - they seem very sweet. Your dd might not be terribly interested in it now, but she will before long.

They might have included a gift receipt in case it was a duplicate. I imagine the 7yo would be quite hurt if you returned it tbh - my ds would've been in the same circumstances. Choosing presents for younger friends/family is a big deal for DCs ime.

Hulababy Tue 04-Oct-11 15:01:51

How old is your DD? Is it something she is likely to want in a few months time?

Seems a shame to have to return it and swap it as it has been chosen specially by the little girl, if your DD is possibly going to like dollies in the near future.

Hulababy Tue 04-Oct-11 15:02:43

xposts.

TBH as she is only 14m I'd be tempted to keep it as chances are she is likely to like dollies in the reasonably near future - most children do go through a baby doll stage after all.

TheTenantOfWildfellHall Tue 04-Oct-11 15:02:48

The thing is, Holly, she might prefer different toys atm, but she is quite likely to like it at some point. I'd just keep it.

TheTenantOfWildfellHall Tue 04-Oct-11 15:04:23

I know, chocolatchaud they are awful! No idea who is buying those!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now