Talk

Advanced search

to feel disappointed my mum wont take doctors advice

(4 Posts)
filibear Tue 04-Oct-11 10:39:12

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

slavetofilofax Tue 04-Oct-11 10:47:31

YANBU to be upset about this. It's your Mum, and of course you want her to be as healthy as she can possibly be.

But what it comes down to is that it's her choice. How she treats her body has to be how she wants to treat her body. That sort of choice is a very basic right.

Plenty of people who have children smoke, it doesn't mean that they don't care about their children. That's a silly thing to say. I think Mothers with dependant children have a responsibility to be as healthy as they can be for those children, but when they are grown up and have children of their own, they have every right to do whatever they want to their own body.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Tue 04-Oct-11 11:31:47

YANBU to be upset about your mum's behaviour, YABU to think she should change it.
I gave up smoking a fortnight or so ago. I had been doing it for 35 years and smoked while I was pregnant <hard hat on>.
It is only in the past 3 months that I gave serious thought to stopping. Not because I don't love my DD, I do, but I had to be in the right place.
If she wants to but can't, I am not able to praise Champix enough.

SageMist Tue 04-Oct-11 18:06:05

Why don't you tell her what you said in your last paragraph?

Giving up smoking is really, really hard so she will need a good reason to help her do it. Yes she should know this already, but in my experience (I should have given up smoking much earlier than I did), she's probably trying not to think about it at all.

So, I think you will have to be really blunt and tell her how you feel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now