Talk

Advanced search

to wonder how many bras are there in a kilo?

(7 Posts)
HelloSweetie Tue 04-Oct-11 10:34:28

My gym has a bra collection thing on - donate your unwanted bras for recycling and raise money for breast cancer care.

All good I think until I read the small print (while stretching).

For each kilo of bras the recycling people will donate £1 to the charity.

One English Pound.

I shall experiment with a bra and scales and get back to you as to how many it takes to make up a kilo.

HelloSweetie Tue 04-Oct-11 10:37:50

1 bra (38D) underwired (M&S) is 80g.

12.5 bras make up a kilo.

that's an awful lot of bras for £1.

aldiwhore Tue 04-Oct-11 10:40:44

It is a lot. I prefer the bag2skool type drives where you're paid per tonne for items. Its not exclusively one type of item (shoes, bags, belts, clothes, fabrics) so its easier to get good weights. You can choose who you donate the money too. Seems a lot quicker and easier to get to target, though the 'bra' idea is topical I guess.

HelloSweetie Tue 04-Oct-11 11:36:33

i have decided to donate my bras to the hospice shop and stick a pound of my own in the collection tin.

aldiwhore Tue 04-Oct-11 11:37:21

I don't blame you.

TheControversialJessie Tue 04-Oct-11 11:52:36

Only donate positively ragged bras to that scheme, if your object is to raise as much money as possible! If they are not ragged, the hospice can likely raise far more!

notcitrus Tue 04-Oct-11 12:13:57

A local self-storage place is cutting out the charity bag business by offering people £5 per 10 kilos of clothes/clean rags/shoes/belts/handbags they bring in, and then selling them on and donating a quid per 10kg or so to charity.

So I suppose the gym deal is better than that or most of the charity bags, but still crap.
If bras are wearable, they can be sold on Ebay or some charity shops to raise money, otherwise I'd just dump in a charity's textile collection bin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now