Talk

Advanced search

to think my boss' comments about my house were very rude and unhelpful

(13 Posts)
whoneedssleepanyway Tue 04-Oct-11 09:16:55

we are trying to sell our house, had the details up on my computer yesterday and my boss asked if he could have a look, so I said sure.

The first thing he said was "Oh I didn't take you for the leather sofa type" swiftly followed up by "Oh and I really didn't imagine you having pine furniture", I asked him what type he thought I was then and he said "something more traditional", I said well DH wanted leather sofas and they are great with the DCs and our house has a lot of pine doors, skirtings etc so pine furniture suits the bedroom and is cheap

He finished off with "When you move I think your husband should let you redecorate"

Maybe that last bit was some kind of clumsy compliment but WTF....I just found his comments really weird (but then this is the boss who frequently comments on what I wear once telling me I was brave for wearing a particular dress on a wet day - it was black and I was wearing it with black opaques....)

Rude or just clumsy?

valiumredhead Tue 04-Oct-11 09:18:27

He's trying to flirt with you....... and failing miserably! grin

bringbacksideburns Tue 04-Oct-11 09:20:57

Tactless i'd say.

Reminds me of my brother -in-law, who is a builder, and whenever he comes in my house, starts loudly saying "If i lived here i'd get rid of that wall for a start! And what you should do is blah blah blah"

HeidiKat Tue 04-Oct-11 09:22:10

I don't see what's rude TBH, sounds to me like he was just making conversation a bit awkwardly.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 04-Oct-11 09:23:12

LOL! Obviously the tactful line would be to say nothing... but if he has a track record of speaking his mind, what exactly did you expect? FWIW I prefer people like that rather than the sort that coo 'how lovely!!' and then bitch about you behind your back.

whoneedssleepanyway Tue 04-Oct-11 09:25:25

I think you are right he is just clumsy, I am more of the "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" variety having had this ingrained into me as a child

PattySimcox Tue 04-Oct-11 09:26:29

I would say he sounds a bit clueless or tactless rather than rude.

Would be slightly annoyed IIWY just cos he asked for a look rather than you asking his opinion

whoneedssleepanyway Tue 04-Oct-11 09:30:07

Tact is probably not his middle name...he started a conversation with me the other day about middle class neglect and did mothers ever really need to work really..and I work for him and have two kids....

Oggy Tue 04-Oct-11 09:31:16

I don't think he was especially rude tbh.

He did imply he wasn't keen on the sofas and furniture but said nothing rude about them explicitly, and in fact he managed to turn his negative views on the decor into a compliment to you at the same time. Fair play!

Yes he would have been better saying nothing if he knows you're sensitive but those comments wouldn't have bothered me at all. Suspect maybe you are being sensitive because your not entirely keen yourself? - I may be way off mark of course.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 04-Oct-11 09:33:01

BTW... If anyone was on the receiving end it was your DH's crap taste in furnishings, not yours.

whoneedssleepanyway Tue 04-Oct-11 09:37:48

Oggy think I am just being over sensitive as desparate to sell my house and move ...

ljgibbs Tue 04-Oct-11 09:41:15

Show us your house and we'll critique it for you. <nosey>

fedupofnamechanging Tue 04-Oct-11 09:55:02

Taste is such a personal thing, and there is no right and wrong (apart from those Egyptian mummy video holders and the glass coffee table, which is held up by a dolphin or polar bear - those are indisputably bad). The things that your boss happens to like, are just things that appeal to his personal taste. No one could say that his style is better than yours, only that it is different.

Personally, I like leather sofas. They are very practical if you have a family who constantly spills stuff. I think he was rude, but didn't mean to be. someone could come and view your house tomorrow, who absolutely loves it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now