Talk

Advanced search

To glaze over at the term "mummy blogger"?

(67 Posts)
YoFluffy Tue 04-Oct-11 08:55:28

There are blogs and there are blogs. Some are a wonderful example of creative writing, or interesting content, some are informative. And others are mind-numbingly mundane.

AIBU to glaze over at the term "mummy blogger"? Who finds time to read about someone's child having another loose nappy, someone's DH working away for the night, someone deciding beside casserole or curry for tea? More to the point, who is interested? Is this where feminism has brought us? To furiously pen journals about the boring minutae of our day and expect audiences to hang on every word?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for keeping blogs as our own personal diaries, but surely we aspire to be more than (one of thousands of) "mummy bloggers"?

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 04-Oct-11 09:01:34

YANBU... Keep a diary by all means but why would you think anyone else would want to read it?

ForYourDreamsAreChina Tue 04-Oct-11 09:04:40

This is the second thread today where I've written "Emperor's New Clothes" grin

Totally agree.

Giving birth does not turn you into either an expert, or a beautiful writer. A crushing bore, possibly.

Blogging is a two headed monster...on one side wonderful writers who might not otherwise have been given a readership, and on the other, well, the other 99% of the populace.

MardyBra Tue 04-Oct-11 09:07:49

Well, they're fairly harmless and you don't have to look at them. But I don't follow any mummy bloggers regularly although I have dipped into a couple of MNers blogs to see what it is about.

you know this is going to turn into a "read my blog, I'm different to the rest" thread.

Makiko Tue 04-Oct-11 09:08:03

Message withdrawn

MmeLindor. Tue 04-Oct-11 09:09:57

It is one of my most hated expressions, even though I know and enjoy some great "mummybloggers" blogs.

There are some who bore on about the minutiae of their day, but there are also intelligent, insightful women who just happen to have children and get stuck with the "mummyblogger" badge.

So, YABabitU

elportodelgato Tue 04-Oct-11 09:24:05

YANBU I have 2 friends who are mummy bloggers and I find the whole idea nauseatingly self-involved. To be fair, one of them writes beautifully and expresses things I wish I could express and often reduces me to tears. The other one though is very much in the vein of 'oh my goodness I am the first woman ever to have a child, I must tell you all about it!' with seemingly no awareness that EVERYONE thinks their own kids are amazing, and we all worry about our DC and yes we all know about sleep deprivation and sore nipples... blah blah who cares? Her blog makes me feel slightly unwell. I don't understand why these women can't get on with just enjoying family life rather than having to write about it in quite such a self-conscious and attention-seeking fashion. Oh, and with half an eye always to a possible book deal bleuuch!

PetiteRaleuse Tue 04-Oct-11 09:24:13

I agree completely with MmeLindor

Makiko Tue 04-Oct-11 09:30:47

Message withdrawn

MmeLindor. Tue 04-Oct-11 10:05:11

elporto
I actually prefer the honest ramblings to the over-polished looking for a book deal bloggers.

Or the ones who do nothing but review countless pieces of tasteless tat cause they are getting sent stuff by PR companies.

and am not at all jealous that no one sends me free stuff

minipie Tue 04-Oct-11 10:11:06

I agree with you to a large extent. But I'm not sure why you are blaming this on feminism hmm.

CaptainNancy Tue 04-Oct-11 10:12:40

I am not sure if you are complaining about mummy bloggers or being pigeon-holed as a mummy blogger. Which is it?

MmeLindor. Tue 04-Oct-11 10:17:54

Oh, good point, CptN.

Lots of so called "mummybloggers" blog about feminism.

I could loosely be called a mummyblogger and have blogged about how much I hate the term mummyblogger.

<chases tail>

PetiteRaleuse Tue 04-Oct-11 10:25:15

Don't know if I could be called a mummyblogger. I have blogged about my daughter, but the vast majority of what I write isn't anything to do with her.

Would not appreciate being pigeonholed as mummyblogger.

FlossieFromCrapstonVillas Tue 04-Oct-11 10:35:15

No, the 'Look what I'm wearing today' blogs, THEY are the worst...(or best.)

Invariably they are wearing some awful dress from Sainsbury's and a long beaded necklace. Or a short skirt they should have thrown out a few years ago. Always good for a laugh...(Think I may have misunderstood the purpose somewhere along the lines...)

MmeLindor. Tue 04-Oct-11 11:07:11

Petite
You and I are more armchair ranters smile

PetiteRaleuse Tue 04-Oct-11 11:24:36

putting the world to rights smile

Blueberties Tue 04-Oct-11 11:30:41

I've never read any blog. The idea of reading a "mummyblog" makes me want to self-immolate.

Redbluegreen Tue 04-Oct-11 11:33:16

The SMUG ones, the ones that go on about how wonderfully creative they are, the crafts they do, the farms they visit, the things they make, the conversations where everything is a learning experience, where cooking isn't just about making food but about textures, motor skills, maths, colours, where the kids never get to just hang out and play on their own but everything has to be a learning experience with mummy. These are the ones I hate. I've never yet read a dad version of this, is there not a 'daddy blog' genre yet?

MmeLindor. Tue 04-Oct-11 11:38:50

There are a few Daddybloggers, but they men who blog are just men who blog.

Rather like there are no Daddypreneurs.

There is feminism for you.

Blueberties Tue 04-Oct-11 11:40:29

"These are the ones I hate"

May I ask how many you read? How do you find the time?

Redbluegreen Tue 04-Oct-11 11:48:21

Ha, Blueberties - they tend to only get one reading, I don't follow them! I like gardening blogs, and design blogs, and travel blogs, and find them by following links on other blogs usually, which then lead sometimes to good ones and sometimes to bad ones - and sometimes to smug mummy ones! I find the time by having an iphone to read them on and a bus commute to work.

Blueberties Tue 04-Oct-11 11:55:46

smile thanks the iphone explains a lot!

MmeLindor. Tue 04-Oct-11 11:59:43

My DH does that too.

I don't read magazines any more. I get a cup of coffee in the morning and go through the blogs I read.

Proon Tue 04-Oct-11 12:00:48

I think each blog should stand on its own merits (or lack of) and there are certainly some writers with the personality to pull it off, and the instinctive knowledge of what to say about being a parent, about the children without it going into mummyblogger territory. I'd say though that they are the ones who are telling another story, and family life is part of the backdrop to the story.

What I despise is, well, it's Cherry Menlove. I was going to try to write a description of her blog but I'll just be up front. Any blog like that makes me want to kill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now