Talk

Advanced search

trick or treat

(51 Posts)
devonshiredumpling Mon 03-Oct-11 22:15:43

aibu to take my son trick or treating for the first time this year he will be five in nov but will only take him to people we know

cookcleanerchaufferetc Mon 03-Oct-11 22:17:24

Where we live those who are happy to receive trick or treaters put a pumpkin or similar outside their front door.

Why would you think it is unreasonable?

devonshiredumpling Mon 03-Oct-11 22:20:50

cause of his age we have posters here that people put up to stop trick or treaters

cookcleanerchaufferetc Mon 03-Oct-11 22:23:26

Never heard of that! Surely if you are just going to people you know it is ok?

helpmabob Mon 03-Oct-11 22:23:50

I dont understand what posters? I think it is fine, you will be with him going to places you know. I take my kids to houses decorated with halloween as that seems to be the sign that they do trick or treating. Nothing wrong with that.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Mon 03-Oct-11 22:24:32

YANBU - take him he's a great age to go and he'll thoroughly enjoy it.

In my neighbourhood halloween is very good natured. All the neighbours kids just from this street and a couple of others all come out dressed up and I get loads of cheapy things in to give out to them. Most are little uns with their parents nearby but we occasionally have some teenage gangs.

In 20 years we have never had a minutes trouble. The worst thing that happened was one year a gang of about 5 boys kept changing their costumes with each other and coming back for more sweets but now I check the shoes lol!

lazylula Mon 03-Oct-11 22:26:27

I have taken mine for the last 2 years, it is not something I really like doing but they enjoy it and we only knock on houses with Halloween decor up or on pre arranged doors (my mum and her neighbour for example).

Oggy Mon 03-Oct-11 22:26:29

I know some people can be a bit uptight about the whole "begging" angle but if you are only taking him to people you know and they are happy for you to bring him to them I really struggle to see the problem personally.

Pandygirl Mon 03-Oct-11 22:27:37

We decorate the house every year to encourage trick or treaters, unfortunately we live at the end of a cul-de-sac so we don't get many people coming down the road. If you go with him surely it's fine?

devonshiredumpling Mon 03-Oct-11 22:29:48

the local police produce a poster with a pumpkin on it which states that they do not want visits from trick or treaters and they give them out to vulnerable people especially

lazylula Mon 03-Oct-11 22:30:01

Some people also put posters in there windows saying no trick or treaters, not sure if they were circulated by the police, or the local radio or newspaper but I remember seeing them advertised. I think these are what the op is talking about. OP, Iwould still only knock on doors with decorations up, people shouldn't have to advertise not wanting trick or treaters, those who want them will advertise it (we put a pumpkin out, then take it in when the children go to bed).

Sirzy Mon 03-Oct-11 22:34:11

Grr I hate trick or treating!! I refuse to open the door!

But as long as you only go to people you know and who are happy to receive trick of treaters then go for it

EmilyMurphyLegallyAPerson Mon 03-Oct-11 22:34:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

meditrina Mon 03-Oct-11 22:38:04

I'm one of the curmudgeonly ones who loathes trick or treating!

But if you stick to houses you know, or who are clearly advertising participation with lanterns etc, there really isn't a problem with it. Just keep away from my (dark) door!

Oggy Mon 03-Oct-11 22:40:32

Lol Emily - every year I get loads of sweets in for trick or treaters even though I am fully aware that in 5 years of living here no one has ever come trick or treatinf (due to our location). My cynical husband thinks I am using it as an excuse to get sweets in for myself - the bloody cheek shock

pigletmania Mon 03-Oct-11 22:44:37

I think its fine for only those people you know, not total strangers.

pigletmania Mon 03-Oct-11 22:46:13

I will get a plastic pumpkin grin i havent't the patience to carve one out

slavetofilofax Mon 03-Oct-11 22:48:21

He's the perfect age for trick or treating! If you have to, go to a different area with less elderly people in it.

And always go with the pumpkin rule. If there is a pumpkin outside (that isn't on a poster) then their door is fair game.

biddysmama Mon 03-Oct-11 22:49:26

i like trick or treaters, means my 2 year old can join in eating the sweets i buy giving sweeties to the monsters and i dont have to go out in the cold

MumblingRagDoll Tue 04-Oct-11 00:35:38

We just go to houses with decorations.....there' a particular street nearby with loads of kids and so they're prepared! We go there and then an hour later, their kids come here!

Look about for houses with decorations a day or two before...then target them! We only do about 8 houses because the DDs just get too many sweets otherwise.

We always say thank you.

I love it when the kids knock on our door....so do my DDs...it's lovely.

NorkyPies Tue 04-Oct-11 00:40:13

If I'm in the mood, I get sweets for them and demand I take a photo of them in return. I've not heard of the pumpkin signal, but it's a good idea.

lesley33 Tue 04-Oct-11 01:03:51

As I understand it people put up posters about not welcoming trick or treaters because of older kids who come round demanding money in a very unfriendly manner. Personally I feel very different about a group of 11 year olds trick or treating who seem to emphasise the trick - to a 5 year old trick or treating.

I think it is perfectly fine. Just prime your DC by explaining that not everyone will have for example sweets in and that she should thank people for anything they give her. And enjoy!

solidgoldbrass Tue 04-Oct-11 01:07:00

If there are Halloween decorations up then it's a clear indication that trick-or-treaters are welcome. If not, unless you know the householders it's best to avoid.
(I take DS every year, luckily there are a dozen or so households nearby who enjoy Halloween and have pumpkins everywhere and buckets of sweets ready).

madhattershouse Tue 04-Oct-11 01:09:57

Around here a light in the window or a pumpkin shows who is "up" for callers. We never go to un-lighted houses. My next-door-neighbour used to put out a strip heater that glowed orange! The thing that pisses me off is the teenagers, in normal clothes, who want a treat or MONEY when they can't even be arsed to dress up! It should be light-hearted fun. One word of caution, ration the sweets..late night sweet eating does not a easy bed-time make!

How many "!'s" was that??grin

sunnydelight Tue 04-Oct-11 02:14:29

I loathe the whole trick or treat thing, but when my kids were little we often did a circuit of "friendly houses" ending up with a bit of a party at someone's house and the kids loved it. I think nowadays it's quite clear which houses want you so it's reasonable to do it if you stick to those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now