Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To use ds's muslin to strain my raspberry gin?

(23 Posts)
ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 03-Oct-11 21:21:04

They are always boil washed, so it's clean, and he's not a vommer.

Also, if I were to use it, would it be acceptable to wash it and use again for ds?

grin

ChasingSquirrels Mon 03-Oct-11 21:22:33

sounds fine to me

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 03-Oct-11 21:23:25

i used dd to get the sentiment from my homemade wine, worked alot better than the disposable filters i forgot to buy and the wine tasted better smile

i wouln't use a rasberry one as it would stain

missorinoco Mon 03-Oct-11 21:27:28

Yes, yes, yes. Raspberry gin, that sounds divine. I want some. Wail.

Seriously, just use it. It's clean. You will wash it. It will be clean again. If it stains, stick it on the line the next sunny day. Dh stuck all my nappies and muslins in with a yellow duster one day by mistake and dyed the whole lot canary yellow. They sun-bleached out.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 03-Oct-11 21:30:08

It seems wrong on so many levels to use it, however if it adds sentiment wink to it, how can it be wrong?

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 03-Oct-11 21:33:40

Make it missorinoco, tis very easy. Gin, sugar, frozen raspberries. Shake once a week, ready after 6 weeks. Bish, bash, bosh. Bob's your Uncle, Fanny's your Aunt.

how much sugar? and one pack of rasps?

PenguinArmy Tue 04-Oct-11 14:49:22

YABU, it should be damson gin

missymarmite Tue 04-Oct-11 14:52:53

I used baby muslins for making crab apple jelly and they washed out really well. Made some sloe gin too, but that's still cooking.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 04-Oct-11 15:42:28

i used dd to get the sentiment from my homemade wine Much better to use her muslin, SS might frown on you using the child herself grin

sue52 Tue 04-Oct-11 17:14:19

That sounds lovely though I much prefer sloe gin.

any recipes to be had?

aldiwhore Tue 04-Oct-11 17:28:21

I've done this for my damson gin and I wasn't BU, so it won't be U for using it for Raspberries either smile

JennyPiccolo Tue 04-Oct-11 19:24:17

i bought a million bajillion muslins when pg cos mumsnet told me to and have barely used them. just moved them under the sink for cleaning the other day.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 04-Oct-11 20:22:43

Recipe raspberry gin

70cl gin
1lb frozen raspberries
1lb granulated sugar

Put everything in a clean 2 litre bottle and shake every few days, will be ready after 6 weeks. Strain through a muslin before decanting.

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Tue 04-Oct-11 20:33:25

Absolutely fine, I've just been up in the loft to find the box with the muslins etc in to grab one to strain my blackberry vodka!

missorinoco Tue 04-Oct-11 20:55:46

Yum yum yum. Shall add Gin to the shopping list. Does it make a difference how good the Gin is? (As in mulled wine I use cheap wine, but if it will make a difference I could push the boat out.)

NorthernChinchilla Tue 04-Oct-11 21:17:47

Nope, the rules are (for me)
- Expensive gin, cheap vodka, unless...

You're drinking the vodka neat, in which case go as expensive as possible, or you're making fruit gin, in which case you want something that burns your nose hairs off as you inhale.

Has served me well!

Not tried raspberry gin, I have to say, although raspberry vodka is marvellous

aldiwhore Tue 04-Oct-11 21:19:46

Pear drops vodka is marvelous too NorthernChincilla

Mostly my spirts are of the damson kind due to a huge damson tree...

Your rules make perfect sense. The damson vodka is given as gifts at Christmas, so cheap as possible vodka wink

AuntiePickleBottom Tue 04-Oct-11 21:28:49

that sound lovely, and it will be ready for christmas smile

sorry about missing the word muslin, did read back rather funny

Trills Tue 04-Oct-11 21:38:26

It's a clean cloth, it doesn't mtter what it has been used for in the past.

Trills Tue 04-Oct-11 21:39:04

You other people are all BU to not understand the simplicity of raspberry gin.

I have a friend who makes flavoured vodka by adding Kola cubes, or cough candy drops or blackcurrant and liquorice drops, I have heard you can do it with skittles too. Hmmm feel a trip to the supermarket coming on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now