Advanced search

AIBU To Insist DDs Read?

(107 Posts)
LeQueen Mon 03-Oct-11 20:12:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

reelingintheyears Mon 03-Oct-11 20:15:14

How old are they?

GetAwayFromHerYouBitch Mon 03-Oct-11 20:17:32

I sympathise with the frustration at the fact they don't seem to love books as much as you do, but I don't think you can force them to read. My DH is very bright, but does not really, and has never really liked to read fiction. DS1 is also like this.

You can tell them to turn off the TV/computer, and you can provide them with books, (and audiobooks worked in stimulating my DSs interest in stories, as did graphic novels, joke books and non-fiction), but beyond that I think you should stop worrying.

GetAwayFromHerYouBitch Mon 03-Oct-11 20:18:05

And continue reading to them

squeakytoy Mon 03-Oct-11 20:18:06

Most of my reading as a child was done in bed. It is definately preferable to having the light out.

GetAwayFromHerYouBitch Mon 03-Oct-11 20:18:46

yy - squeaky. DS1 now reads in bed.

I would let them choose when they read. After tea my dcs just want to veg in front of the tv before bed. They both read (well, dd looks at pictures - she's 3) in bed. Ds chooses to read during the day sometimes but I would never make him do it. He enjoys it just like I enjoy making cakes. If dh came home every evening and told me to make a cake I would very quickly stop enjoying it.

grumplestilskin Mon 03-Oct-11 20:20:39

if there's one way to insure that they DON'T have a love of reading, then surely having it as a forced structured activity is it?

Most people love to read because they can escape and do it in their own time don't they?

keep offering reading oportunities and materials, but being forced to sit with a book for 20 mins after tea every day would have made me hate it

LeQueen Mon 03-Oct-11 20:24:17

I love to read. But if it didn't interest me I would hate to be forced to read. YABVVU.

LeQueen Mon 03-Oct-11 20:27:09

squeakytoy Mon 03-Oct-11 20:28:57

7 & 8 is perfect for bargaining with reading in bed before lights out.. even now I cant get into bed and go straight to sleep, I have to read for a while first..

It is also harder to concentrate when you are being forced to do something and other people are moving about, talking etc.. which is why bedtime is much easier..

squeakytoy Mon 03-Oct-11 20:29:37

x posted there...

you have strange children grin

grumplestilskin Mon 03-Oct-11 20:29:38

well then as you were if you want them to READ
but not if you want them to LOVE READING as a relaxing/time out/personal chill out thing

reelingintheyears Mon 03-Oct-11 20:29:43

You could still be reading to them then at that age although i think i'd just about stopped by then.

My two boys are big readers especially DS2 whereas DD not so much and she reads crap when she does read.grin

I wouldn't push it too much....i always did the very opposite of what my parents wanted me to!

Dawndonna Mon 03-Oct-11 20:30:23

We have a ridiculous amount of books in this house, around the 3000 mark!
However, no Austen because I was locked in a bedroom and forced to read Northanger Abbey. I loathe Austen, despite being Lit minor at uni. l
Get them to read in bed, tell them it's a later lights out if they read.
Out of interest, do you still read to them at night? Maybe ten minutes of something will spark an interest in a particular book and if they like it and want more, they can read on for twenty minutes.

WhizziesMum Mon 03-Oct-11 20:32:22

How about making it more fun? Plan a treasure hunt for them where they have to read the clues, or award them 'points' of some sort for every book they read?

Do they choose their own books? I LOVE reading, and half the fun for me is browsing through book shops or the library for my next fix smile

reelingintheyears Mon 03-Oct-11 20:32:30

Dawndonna,Jane Austen is boring

SingingSands Mon 03-Oct-11 20:33:42

If you are pestering them to do something, they will see it as a chore. They won't see it as a pleasurable escapist activity like you did. I understand where you are coming from (we sound like the same child, books over toys smile) but like you said, your DDs are not you.

I'd let them see you "escaping" to read at points during the day (I do this whilst dinner is cooking, curl up with the Kindle or a book or magazine) and they will gradually relax about reading. They probably don't feel very relaxed enough to read around you - they must feel as though you are policing them!

grumplestilskin Mon 03-Oct-11 20:33:42

I loved being read to until quite a late age so that's a good idea. Have a "family book" that you all curl up and read together, one that's beyond their actual reading abilities so its more interesting. DH and I do that now, we'll have one we read together taking turns to read out loud, as well as whatever books we have on the go ourselves to read quiety. Usually they're funny books that we'ld just be reading passages out to each other anyway if we were reading it ourselves IYKWIM

reading in bed myself came later, at 7 or 8 I'ld rather potter about or be read to

LeQueen Mon 03-Oct-11 20:34:39

squeakytoy Mon 03-Oct-11 20:34:45

I would have hated my mum to read to me at that age... it would have put me off more than anything..

LeQueen Mon 03-Oct-11 20:36:45

squeakytoy Mon 03-Oct-11 20:36:51

And I know her name is usually mud on here, but I loved Enid Blytons Mallory Towers series at that age too.. they were brilliant books.

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 03-Oct-11 20:38:31

Are there any books that they like at all? IMO it doesn't matter what they read, more that they get in the habit of reading iyswim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now