Talk

Advanced search

To complain about my Grandads funeral flowers?

(23 Posts)
Sparklyblue Mon 03-Oct-11 19:50:21

My Grandad died on the 20th and so I arranged some flowers from myself and my sister's families for the funeral.
I thought an irish flag would be nice, the florist said that would not be a problem.
Got to the funeral and the colours were the wrong flippin' way round, it was an upsetting day any way and we didn't need that.
Would any of you complain?

LindyHemming Mon 03-Oct-11 19:52:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cottonreels Mon 03-Oct-11 19:54:55

Yeah, Id complain tbh.

BarbaraWoodlouse Mon 03-Oct-11 19:55:16

Sorry about your loss.

Before I opened your thread I assumed flowers were somehow substandard and was all set to say "yes, do complain even though the event is passed".

With that kind of simple mistake however I'd be tempted to let it go TBH. I don't expect they'll be doing an irish flag every week so they can't learn for the future.

Hopefully nobody was truly distressed by it. Perhaps this will go down in family history as a little heartwarming anecdote?

Sparklyblue Mon 03-Oct-11 19:56:50

No we couldn't flip it unfortunately, the florist had put a flag pole down one side and I had the word 'Grandad' put on the bottom [sad]

Mutt Mon 03-Oct-11 19:57:08

grumplestilskin Mon 03-Oct-11 19:58:37

yes complain, they may not do IRISH flags often but probably do flags or symbols in general and for a funeral they really should do a quick google at least to make sure its right - its so important!

Mutt Mon 03-Oct-11 19:58:42

OchAyeTheNooPal Mon 03-Oct-11 19:58:48

I think I'd have a wee word because it's something that's easy enough to get right. What way were the colours arranged?

Sparklyblue Mon 03-Oct-11 20:00:12

No, the florist is at fault, instead of Green, White and Gold it was Gold, White and Green. With the pole on the Gold side.

Vallhala Mon 03-Oct-11 20:00:25

Do you need the stress of complaining and arguing at this dreadful time?

I'd normally say sure, go ahad and register displeasure if you've received poor service but it may just add to your distress atm.

If you do complain, why not do so in writing - you can express how upset you were without having to deal with the florists face to face?

Either way, I'm sorry for your loss. Grandad are special people and having been where you are now I feel for you.

slavetofilofax Mon 03-Oct-11 20:02:55

I would complain.

Something like that shows appauling service when they know they are providing something at an emotional and sensitive time. They made a major cock up and caused distress at an already distressing time.

I'd be expecting them to make a very generous donation to your Grandad's (or your) favourite charity as a good will gesture to avoid bad publicity.

Is there any chance your Grandad would have seen any humour in it?

Mutt Mon 03-Oct-11 20:05:15

cottonreels Mon 03-Oct-11 20:05:33

I agree, a quick google search should have been worth the money you paid.

Mutt Mon 03-Oct-11 20:06:10

Crosshair Mon 03-Oct-11 20:08:49

I would also complain/point out the mistake, so hopefully it wouldnt happen again.

helenthemadex Mon 03-Oct-11 20:09:49

Yes I would complain its simple enough to google and check and flowers are not cheap!

slavetofilofax Mon 03-Oct-11 20:11:10

What's she going to do?

Tell people perhaps? If I ran a florisrty business I wouldn't want any of my potential customers to think I was too stupid to check which way round the colours on a flag go, especially when it's for such a sensitive occasion.

A flag made out of flowers with a pole and the word Grandad on it probably cost a small fortune. The Op deserves her upset at the florists cock up to be recognised.

KittyFane Mon 03-Oct-11 20:17:27

Yes, talk to the florist. I would probably tell them how disappointed you are at least.
My dad's flowers from me were dry and brown around the edges.
It upset me and I never said anything, but I should have done.
YANBU to be upset.

Sparklyblue Mon 03-Oct-11 20:29:34

Thank you every one, i'm in two minds what to do.
To be honest my Grandad was a right case, so would have seen the funny side, but I don't think that's the point, they cost a lot of money, and if I had been the florist I would have checked and double checked to make sure the flag was right, but maybe that's me.

grumplestilskin Mon 03-Oct-11 20:30:43

maybe they used a pic of a previous Irish flag they did, that noone complained about?

Mutt Mon 03-Oct-11 20:38:11

Boysrstupid Mon 03-Oct-11 20:44:34

My Mum passed away in August. At her Graveside I noticed the plaque on her coffin aged her at 63 not 64. Whilst I found this rather upsetting, I realise that actually my Mum would have been quite pleased with this little error. I have not mentioned it to the funeral director and I will recall this error with a smile, on my Mums behalf, each time I visit.

Some things are better left unsaid. HTH.

Many condolences on your loss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now