Talk

Advanced search

To think DH needs to take me seriously on this??

(54 Posts)
MarchOn Mon 03-Oct-11 19:18:52

I came in earlier to see a huge beef steak in the fridge. I told DH I was cooking duck for tea and he said that was ok, the steak was just a treat for him for afterwards hmm assuming he meant supper I grumbled about his so called diet and began cooking the duck. Anyway the duck turned out delicious grin but I've just gone into the kitchen to see DH tearing at this steak RAW with his teeth like an animal, blood on his face and hands. Surely this cannot be healthy and at the worse, dangerous?? I know chicken is dangerous uncooked, not so sure about red meat, I know some people have it rare but totally raw??

He won't discuss it and says he does it all the time (I didn't know this).

AIBU to think this is a bit gross/dangerous?

wellwisher Mon 03-Oct-11 19:21:06

shock

<looks out the window to check for a full moon>

<hides under the bed>

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 03-Oct-11 19:21:56

Don't think it's dangerous but agree it's a bit urgh. But he's not forcing you to join in, so I'd leave him to it.

troisgarcons Mon 03-Oct-11 19:22:15

I like raw steak - blue they call it in restaurants , 30 seconds each side

Scrummy!

PomBearAtTheGatesOfDawn Mon 03-Oct-11 19:22:36

Steak tartare. As long as it is from a decent shop and fresh there shouldn't be any problem - I am presuming he would wash his hands before and after and his face, at least before he next answers the door grin
Does he sparkle? Does he stay up late and sleep all day? Does he wear sunglasses in the house? Act oddly once a month?

MarchOn Mon 03-Oct-11 19:23:01

It was the blood running down his hands that almost made me throw up. I like my meat but jeez, it was like watching a wildlife program on Humans.

Flisspaps Mon 03-Oct-11 19:24:13

You can eat it raw with no problems - steak tartare and beef carpaccio are basically raw meat dishes.

I wouldn't particularly want to though.

PomBearAtTheGatesOfDawn Mon 03-Oct-11 19:25:04

So don't look. Leave the room and ask him to please clean up afterwards, including drips on your kitchen surfaces as those could be a breeding ground for germs and do need to be cleaned up properly.

catgirl1976 Mon 03-Oct-11 19:25:24

Am with pombear and wellwisher. You need to be looking for signs of lycanthropy or similar..........silver and garlic shoudl help smile

wonkylegs Mon 03-Oct-11 19:26:46

Steak tartare is made from minced raw beef and carpacchio (sp?) is also raw beef - it's fine in terms of health as long as utensils are kept clean and practice good food hygiene (washing hands etc) is used for prep
However your DH is still a bit odd in his choice of snack and way of eating it

olibeansmummy Mon 03-Oct-11 19:28:08

Oh my god... I'd be sick!

thisisyesterday Mon 03-Oct-11 19:29:19

that's really quite gross

have no problem with people wanting to eat raw meat if that's what they like.

but to stand in the kitchen tearing at it with his teeth? ffs.
point him to the crockery and cutlery

ScarahStratton Mon 03-Oct-11 19:30:07

confused

<looks at OFRS>

ThePumpkinKing Mon 03-Oct-11 19:30:13

Did he really manage to eat it in the way you've described - without using a knife?

That's quite cool, in a disgusting sort of way.

squeakytoy Mon 03-Oct-11 19:31:21

nothing wrong with eating it raw, but most people do eat it with a knife and fork, not tear at it like a dog!

5littleducks Mon 03-Oct-11 19:35:42

smile the thought of it made me laugh out loud. gross yes, dangerous no.

garlicScaresVampires Mon 03-Oct-11 19:36:03

Is he anaemic?

Either his system's crying out for some nutrient (iron's the likely culprit) ... or I can pop round with my garlic press and silver bullets ...

DoNotPressTheRedButton Mon 03-Oct-11 19:38:40

Tell him he's too early for hallowe'en.

Although you might be able to get a decent MN hallowe'en name change from this....

Raw steak fine (probably, never tried it)- but I prefer my men to have manners that preclude tearing at meat with blood running down their arms.

LadyBeagleEyes Mon 03-Oct-11 19:41:18

Did he eat the duck?

NeedToSleepZZZ Mon 03-Oct-11 19:42:28

NEVER MENTION IT AGAIN, wipe it from your memory.

An old house ate of mine used to eat raw, unwashed Morrisons tuna steaks straight from the plastic, I had to leave the room.

SkipToTheEnd Mon 03-Oct-11 19:42:56

If you wake up to find him standing over you with the salt and pepper you should probably worry.

SuePurblybilt Mon 03-Oct-11 19:43:47

He is clearly a Wolef. Have you tried Quorn?

AisforAcorn Mon 03-Oct-11 19:44:56

Oh my. That would make my stomach turn. I need my meat cooked until it is practically burnt.

As far as I know there isn't a food poisoning risk with beef. Something do do with the proteins.

Pandemoniaa Mon 03-Oct-11 19:45:17

Did he used to be a werewolf? Has he tried to convince you that he's alright NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW? Because he isn't.

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Mon 03-Oct-11 19:46:25

Yummm! I have eaten raw beef before and love it! Blue steaks are HEAVEN :-) A bit odd he was doing this straight after a lovely meal of duck though? You mentioned a diet - is it that you're more pissed off to see him stuffing his face after a perfectly good meal? x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now