Talk

Advanced search

To think it's never too soon to teach cinema etiquette?

(64 Posts)
MarchOn Mon 03-Oct-11 17:29:26

Took the kids to kids-club type thing at the cinema where they show older movies (stuff like Kung Fu Panda 2, not REALLY old stuff) for £1 each (and £1 for parents making it a cheap outing even for larger families).

Now I fully expect this kinda thing to be FULL of kids (and rightly so! that's who it's aimed at!) but AIBU to think that even young kids should be taught not to shout and run around in the cinema, even if it was only a quid to get in?

I expect a bit more noise and movement but there was a family having a full on conversation half way through the film and they were not whispering! Two kids behind us who seemed to need the toilet EVERY 5 minutes (thus giving them an excuse to run around wild as soon as they were free from their seats), two siblings sitting in different rows to each other shouting to one another(!!) and a little girl arguining with her dad (loudly) about the amount of sweets he was stealing from her bag!!

As I said, I expect more noise and movement than usual and I know we didn't lose much money-wise but AIBU to think parent should still teach their kids that the cinema isn't a playground??

On the other hand, there was a tiny little girl (must have only been about 4) who never spoke a word throughout the entire film so it shows it is possible!

Hassled Mon 03-Oct-11 17:34:04

I agree. I can't go to the cinema any more without leaving in a rage.

And and and - if your child cannot sit still and focus on a screen for an hour or so, maybe think about not taking them to the cinema. Yes, your child will be deprived of the opportunity to see <latest kids' fim>, but then everyone else in the world will actually have the opportunity to see it without constant, relentless interruptions.

kelly2000 Mon 03-Oct-11 17:35:53

Some people are just rude and obnoxious. I was in the cinema and the guy behind me got out his 'phone and called someone to arrange a facebook party, then when I turned around and stared made a big fuss about getting off the 'phone because some people were complaining.

Eglu Mon 03-Oct-11 17:36:00

YANBU. That would drive me crazy too. Children need to learn there are times to sit still and be quiet.

Hulababy Mon 03-Oct-11 17:37:16

YANBU

cocoachannel Mon 03-Oct-11 17:37:56

YANBU.

The Wittertainment Code of Conduct should be taught in schools.

Kladdkaka Mon 03-Oct-11 17:38:15

Isn't it like going to McDonald's and expecting decent table manners?

KittyFane Mon 03-Oct-11 17:40:54

When DC run about, need the toilet every 5 mins, talk constantly throughout a film - do their DP not realise that the DC may not be interested in the film.
I agree with you OP. Parents shouldn't let DC spoil films for others.

KittyFane Mon 03-Oct-11 17:41:41

Kladd? confused

squeakytoy Mon 03-Oct-11 17:46:58

This is why dvd's are made. grin

Kladdkaka Mon 03-Oct-11 17:47:09

What's confusing? If you go to a huge gathering of over excited children and expect good etiquette, then you are being unreasonable.

SecretNutellaFix Mon 03-Oct-11 17:51:21

load of rubbish kladdkaka. Good behaviour should be expected more so when there is a large number of people or people end up upset and hurt.

Excited I can understand. Ruining the film for everyone else? Not acceptable.

CustardCake Mon 03-Oct-11 17:52:07

No you're not being unreasonable. Unrealistic maybe but not unreasonable.

To be expected: shuffling, whispering, quiet talking, fidgeting, rustling, frequent trips to the toilet, kids being taken out bored or crying after 30 minutes

Not to be expected (and not reasonable): shouting between rows, full volume conversations and running up and down during the film.

KittyFane Mon 03-Oct-11 17:56:51

Disagree with that Kladd. huge gathering of overexcited children
that would include school discos, film nights, the theatre (pantomimes), sports days etc.
Just because they are having a good time doesn't mean DC should be allowed to behave like spoilt, rude, loud , obnoxious brats.
Good manners and etiquette can still be there.

Kladdkaka Mon 03-Oct-11 17:56:57

Well I think your view is a load a rubbish secretnutellafix. So there we go.

KittyFane Mon 03-Oct-11 18:00:33

Kladd, would you be happy if a DC talked all the way through a film and spoilt it for your DC?

Hulababy Mon 03-Oct-11 18:03:59

Have to disagree with you Kladdkaka. Equally if I take DD to McDonalds I still expect her to sit down at a table and eat her meal properly, not tun about shouting and squealing. I expect appropriate behaviour wherever we are and always have done.

Kladdkaka Mon 03-Oct-11 18:06:48

Other kids talking through the film wouldn't spoil it for my daughter. She'd ignore them. If anything, being the parent of an autistic child who will talk continuously through the film, we're more likely to be the ones being the brunt of all the judgmental threads on mumsnet and the catbum faces in the cinema.

MrsFruitcake Mon 03-Oct-11 18:07:45

YABU.

It was £1 FGS. I use these sessions to teach DS (3) about how to behave in the cinema and of course we had a few difficulties at first. Nobody in their right mind would visit the cinema with a 3 year old child and pay full price for a ticket. That's for when they can be relied upon to behave and not be a nuisance.

NacMacFeegle Mon 03-Oct-11 18:09:03

YANBU OP. Mine have been taught from a very early age how to behave in a cinema. DS2 is 2.8 and sits like an angel for fear of mummy RAGE unprompted. grin

Of course, I also take my children to entirely inappropriate movies, so what do I know?

KittyFane Mon 03-Oct-11 18:12:27

Kladd- are we talking about DC with SN? No, we're not.

Kladdkaka Mon 03-Oct-11 18:14:59

How do you know? Were you there with MarchOn? Did you ask the parents? No, you weren't.

AnyoneButLulu Mon 03-Oct-11 18:15:24

YABU, I started taking my DC to the cinema at the age of 4 weeks and I honestly don't think that a lecture on consideration for others would have stopped them screaming when there were big explosions on screen grin.

Past the age of 1 OTOH you have a point. Lesser standards are expected at Saturday morning screenings, but not no standards at all. Autism-friendly screenings present different questions, but actually even there I'd impose some sort of realistic code of conduct on my DS, because if everyone's going to scream non-stop then what's the point of going?

SecretNutellaFix Mon 03-Oct-11 18:15:26

Surely though it us up to you to educate your dd in how to behave at the cinema kladdkaka? When does it become unacceptable? age 5? aged 8? aged 33 and three quarters?

From the start you should be telling her that she shouldn't talk through the film- it disturbs everyone else. If she has questions she needs to wait until the end.

Kladdkaka Mon 03-Oct-11 18:16:22

... and you specifically asked about my child, so yes we were definately talking about a child with SN, because you brought that child up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now