Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be mad about the word "inappropriate".

(15 Posts)
Pakdooik Mon 03-Oct-11 15:37:58

It's been used in my hearing at work today to mean, on the one hand, criminal activity i.e. nicking stuff and on t'other hand mild swearing.

When my kids were at school, one boy hit another hard with a large stick. This was "inappropriate" so too was drinking vodka in the lunchbreak as was my complaint that it might be a good idea to have a first aid kit for a rugby match.

It's time to bin this mealy mouthed word!

Rant over - as you were

spookshowangellovesit Mon 03-Oct-11 15:52:03

yabu i love the word inappropriate, its such a delightfully british word.

Stoirin Mon 03-Oct-11 15:54:15

How can you "bin" a word? Don't be ridiculous and just use it appropriately instead.

worraliberty Mon 03-Oct-11 15:56:50

I'm having inappropriate thoughts about a KFC bargain bucket as I type this post.

ViviPru Mon 03-Oct-11 15:59:32

I love hoisting the judgey pants and declaring something "inappropriate" I enjoy the way it covers the whole gamut so YABU.

OP, would it be inappropriate to ask you to pass us the stolen vodka, you F*cker before I whack you with a large stick?

Pakdooik Mon 03-Oct-11 16:04:18

Vivi grin

ihatecbeebies Mon 03-Oct-11 16:05:10

You are being unreasonable and inappropriate to suggest banning the word just because you don't like how it's used grin what a completely inappropriate thread

YoFluffy Mon 03-Oct-11 16:06:20

At the kids nursery, the word was "challenging". Not naughty, not dishonest, not even evil little sod (though I guess that's what they muttered under their breath afterwards). It was all to do with not making the culprit feel bad about themselves.

God I hate namby pamby wet-fish political correctness.

Can't they at least qualify how inappropriate something is? Mildly inappropriate through to downright criminally inappropriate? Or doesn't that match the grade either?

I share your rant Pakdooik

Thumbwitch Mon 03-Oct-11 16:08:34

Inappropriate is a grand word and bloody useful - therefore YABU and utterly inappropriate, OP. so ner. grin

ViviPru Mon 03-Oct-11 16:18:27

Urgh "challenging" <gip> bin that one.

limitedperiodonly Mon 03-Oct-11 16:21:10

I love the word 'inappropriate' especially when applied to everything from not putting the recycling in the correct bins at work to coming back from lunch pissed and punching a colleague.

I also use the terms professional/unprofessional behaviour but when I do I always feel that someone's going to point at me and laugh hysterically.

5BottlesOfShampoo Mon 03-Oct-11 16:27:32

YABU and inappropriate in your innapropriate use of the word "innappropriate." It is an appropriately flexibe word which can be used to describe any innappropriate situation. Therefore, I find your dislike of the word "innappropriate" innappropriate...

grin

Sorry. Had to be done

Pakdooik Mon 03-Oct-11 16:31:22

5 Wonderful!

ViviPru Mon 03-Oct-11 16:36:40

haha limited me too - I like to pull up the dog on her 'inappropriate' behaviour.

I actually find that the most fun is to be had when using the word 'inappropriate' inappropriately, i.e. "That dog is looking at me in an inappropriate manner."

LimburgseVlaai Mon 03-Oct-11 16:52:03

The word "mad" in this context is inappropriate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now