Talk

Advanced search

to think the NHS wants me to have another baby?

(33 Posts)
Parasaurolophus Mon 03-Oct-11 10:13:59

I have been on a waiting list to replace my mirena iud for 5 months. It expires next month. Apparently I have an appointment next week that is a pre-appointment to refer me to the next 3 months waiting list. If I am very lucky, the GP (if he is present and feeling helpful) may change the IUD next week.

I am 37 years old. I have two kids. It will cost the NHS about £100 to keep me baby-free. I think they want me pregnant. Never mind the cost of my pregnancy, maternity leave, and the cost of a whole extra person!

I suspect this is the secret Tory plan to keep women out of work and running the schools and libraries for free. This will solve the unemployment figures and plump up the big society.

Okay, I don't really believe that the long waiting list for birth control is a Tory conspiracy. Well....not totally..........

horribledinners Mon 03-Oct-11 10:17:09

hmm i recommend condoms or abstinence til your new coil gets fitted

Dozer Mon 03-Oct-11 10:17:54

Yabu. Obviously the wait is too long, but there're other options for contraception and it is not mirena or pregnancy!

ShowOfHands Mon 03-Oct-11 10:20:28

Do you have a local family planning clinic? They'll do it quickly and often with more ease than a gp.

spookshowangellovesit Mon 03-Oct-11 10:20:28

no i am with you i think they want us all bare foot and pregnant i really do.

Parasaurolophus Mon 03-Oct-11 10:22:09

Well, yes of course we will use back up. I am not really serious.

But surely providing reliable long term birth control to families would save more money than it would cost. A long waiting list for long-term, effective birth control seems like a false economy.

Pills, condoms, and attempted abstinence are all less reliable than the coil. It seems a good place to spend-to-save.

Parasaurolophus Mon 03-Oct-11 10:24:22

This is the local family planning clinic. In my Trust the GPs don't do it, hence the long list.

Blueberties Mon 03-Oct-11 10:28:12

Gosh this is depending on the state to a ridiculous degree! Empower yourself and a woman and an individual by getting down to Boots.

Robotindisguise Mon 03-Oct-11 10:31:02

Oh for God's sake, I cannot believe that not a single poster has noticed the OP's tongue is firmly in her cheek. What's wrong with this place these days?

onehellofaride Mon 03-Oct-11 10:33:10

what Robot said biscuit

HelloSweetie Mon 03-Oct-11 10:35:16

i'm 37 and have 2 children. i don't have the time, energy or inclination to have enough sex to conceive. I admire your stamina and sex-drive.

ShowOfHands Mon 03-Oct-11 10:36:05

Crikey. Our local family planning clinic are extremely efficient. I went in for a leaflet for a friend and came out with a coil, a suitcase of condoms, a smear test done, an appointment for dh about a vasectomy and a loyalty card. Not really, but they're blooming quick when you want something done. They must vary quite a lot across the country.

2rebecca Mon 03-Oct-11 10:43:25

It's unusual for no GPs in an area to insert Mirenas. GPs are self employed and in small businesses in the main, with only a small (but increasing) percentage employed centrally. Perhaps all the GPs have collectively decided not to insert Mirenas but that is unusual.
2/5 of the GPs at my practice insert coils. They don't do implants though, partly because of the training hassle to remove them and partly because many women seem to want them removed after 6 months. Again this isn't anything to do with the trust but a practice decision. Agree it sounds a poor family planning service, ? write asking for more clinicians to be employed at it.

eaglewings Mon 03-Oct-11 10:56:09

More babies you have, the more people there will be paying tuition fees in 18 years or so and the more people paying tax as well

You have seen through the government secret plans. They will now tag you rather than replace the coil wink

BettyCash Mon 03-Oct-11 10:56:13

Whether it's tongue in cheek or not, it comes across pretty gauche.

eaglewings Mon 03-Oct-11 11:10:34

We are (rightly) assuming that the OP is fully aware of how she got pregnant the first few times and has the nounce to go to boots to buy the gear to cover the interim.

The serious point to this light thread is, what about those women who do not think to check when the coils is due to be replaced and leave it till the last minute, or chance sex without a condom, as the coil probably will we OK (in their minds)

By saving money on replacing coils the NHS will possibly spend far more on terminations, the government on supporting unplanned babies etc

Parasaurolophus Mon 03-Oct-11 11:15:40

Gauche? Really. How very, very serious many of you are.

Of course IABU to think they want me to have another baby. The NHS doesn't care if I have another baby.

IANBU to think it is a stupid economic policy. If I were to get pregnant I would have another baby. I don't want another baby now, but we would manage. Setting up obstacles to reliable birth control has just got to be a bad economic policy for the GPs, family planning clinic, and the Trust in my particular corner of the UK.

Tota1Xaos Mon 03-Oct-11 11:20:03

yanbu to think it should be a lot less hassle to get your mirena replaced. must save the nhs a packet compared to having to have six monthly GP appointments to get the pill for example.

curlywurlycremeegg Mon 03-Oct-11 11:28:36

hmm, sense of irony failure for some posters on this thread IMO. OP I do not think you should have to wait this long to get an appointment for a new mirena to be fitted. My local GPs are the same, they do not offer the service, however the family planning dept are great, very efficient and have lots of clinics. I think the service you are recieving is poor, just because it is free at point of access is not a good enough excuse for such a long wait, after all it's not something you could actually do yourself, unlike buying condoms.

eaglewings Mon 03-Oct-11 11:32:26

If my eldest relied on her ability to take the pill everyday I'd be on Gransnet shock

I find it hard enough to remember to take my folic acid everyday at any point, let alone the same time each day smile

SardineQueen Mon 03-Oct-11 11:41:33

Gawd that is a shocking waiting list shock

Totally U of them.

Also what robot said grin

ENormaSnob Mon 03-Oct-11 11:42:09

Yanbu

ChaoticAngelofSamhain Mon 03-Oct-11 12:53:35

YANBU but it doesn't surprise me.

worraliberty Mon 03-Oct-11 12:56:41

Keep your hand on your Ha'penny as my old Mum would have said grin

coccyx Mon 03-Oct-11 12:56:52

Get sterilised

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now