Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to really want a kitten as baby substitute?

(13 Posts)
kwinmum Sun 02-Oct-11 22:32:18

I have two lovely children, DD 11, DS 8. DH (43!) also great. We have a 14 yr old cat and hamster, and I am really desperate for a kitten. I know more (human) babies aren't possible or medically advisable, also that cat is likely to be upset by arrival of a kitten, but having v. v. strong maternal urge and think wd love kitten... I do still love them once they are full-grown. I do realise this is abominably trivial given the state of the world etc, but please if u don't mind the trivia and have any experience of introducing a kitten into a house with grown up cat, please advise!!!

BelleDameSansMerci Sun 02-Oct-11 22:38:47

My two spoiled old cats were horrified at the arrival of the kitten. Now she's curled up asleep with my old boy cat (and she's no longer a kitten). They'll cope...

BelleDameSansMerci Sun 02-Oct-11 22:39:31

Although you will need to ensure your old cat still gets lots of attention.

RIZZ0 Sun 02-Oct-11 22:46:21

I think there might be one roaming the B11 area.

RIZZ0 Sun 02-Oct-11 22:46:49

Sorry couldn't resist grin

AuntiePickleBottom Sun 02-Oct-11 22:47:35

go for it.

i'm getting a puppy for the same reason smile

issey6cats Sun 02-Oct-11 23:42:54

think its a great idea please go to a rescue center though to get your kitten and get one that is not climbing up the netting being as rambunctious as he/she can be, if you get a slightly calmer kitten it may not freak out your older cat by swinging on his tail every time he walks past and you shouldnt have too many problems

Salmotrutta Mon 03-Oct-11 00:07:50

Ooh - we got 2 rescue cats who were whirling dervishes for weeks. They were not cute little cuddly kittens but they are now hilariously ensconced in the family.
We did have a venerable old cat previously too - who was a cute little kitten/ball of fur when we got her.

sunnydelight Mon 03-Oct-11 00:24:39

I know a lot of women who got puppies within a couple of months of their youngest starting school grin Nothing wrong with a kitten/puppy/whatever as a baby substitute if it's going to be a loved addition to the family.

NorkyPies Mon 03-Oct-11 00:36:49

You could look at pictures like these itthing.com/worlds-smallest-and-cutest-animals instead

Whatmeworry Mon 03-Oct-11 00:37:51

It'll perk up the old cat no end (that was my experience anyway)

NestaFiesta Mon 03-Oct-11 08:29:17

Getting a pet is a more responsible way for channelling broodiness than having a baby you may not be able to afford. You sound like you look after your pets so I would say go for it.

I am in the same boat- no more babies for me but buckets of maternal love looking for an outlet!

MrsDistinctlyMintyMonetarism Mon 03-Oct-11 08:50:26

Oh yes. <nods vigorously>

When I get back to the UK (TM) I shall be getting a puppy and a kitten. My two labs will be fine with them. Will also be getting chickens again. I miss my chickens.

DD says that she wants more guinea pigs but have told her that she can have those when she's a grown up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now