Talk

Advanced search

to expect the hamster to have done something?

(27 Posts)
LindyHemming Sun 02-Oct-11 18:30:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Andrewofgg Sun 02-Oct-11 18:34:08

No, he's been sold a hamster.

When I was a child I built a little electric motor in Meccano and wired it up to the hamster's ferris wheel and all night long it kept a torch bulb glowing.

They could solve the energy crisis: they go on and on, eat next to nothing, and replace themselves with an enthusiasm which makes rabbits look chaste!

TidyDancer Sun 02-Oct-11 18:35:27

From memory, aren't they a bit like that when they go into new cages? It's like a hamster social phobia.

troisgarcons Sun 02-Oct-11 18:36:17

Hamsters are nocturnal.

Not brilliant pet for younger children, gerbils are so much more fun and daylight awake

CheshireDing Sun 02-Oct-11 18:38:03

Hammy is nocturnal, he will be up all night on his wheel, storing food and re-arranging his bedding.

Hence don't keep his cage in a bedroom because he will keep whoever's room it is awake.

Enjoy Hammy, they are lovely little chaps.

LindyHemming Sun 02-Oct-11 18:42:20

SparklyCloud Sun 02-Oct-11 18:44:25

Do you have plenty of activities and toys for it to play with, and things to climb inside, on, up, and over?

KylieG Sun 02-Oct-11 18:44:40

I have trained my hamster by tapping on his cage gently and then feeding him around 5pm. After a while he cottoned on to this and is awake for a few hours before ds goes to bed, then goes back to sleep and comes out a bit later.
Ds is happy and so is hammy as it doesnt mess up his nocturnal habits!

He prob needs abit of time to settle in to his new home too!

valiumredhead Sun 02-Oct-11 18:46:49

We did the same kylie we LOVE our hammy grin he is so sweet and we have got him so tame.

I though dwarf ones were meant to be sold in pairs only?

LindyHemming Sun 02-Oct-11 18:48:26

valiumredhead Sun 02-Oct-11 18:50:58

What about an exercise ball?

KylieG Sun 02-Oct-11 18:51:45

I thought the same valiumredhead, i thought it was only the syrian ones that were meant to be kept on their own.Im sure the rest prefer pairs or small groups!

LindyHemming Sun 02-Oct-11 18:52:13

LindyHemming Sun 02-Oct-11 18:52:56

KylieG Sun 02-Oct-11 18:55:06

My friend had an incident with a breeding pair. The female ate the male after she had he babies! Proper gross!!!

piprabbit Sun 02-Oct-11 19:01:55

It will wake you up every night running round it's squeaky wheel.

troisgarcons Sun 02-Oct-11 19:08:41

evening = night time = nocturnal

notlettingthefearshow Sun 02-Oct-11 19:16:48

I love hamsters! I've only had golden hamsters though. They don't do an awful lot but it's very cute to watch them stuffing their little cheeks, making a bed, chewing the bars and running on the wheel. You can also buy a ball for outside the cage so they can run around safely within the house. Make sure they have an interesting cage with a few things to play with. Don't both waking them up during the daytime as they will just wee on you.

dickiedavisthunderthighs Sun 02-Oct-11 19:18:55

As another hamster owner, they need at least 24 hours to adjust to their new surroundings, plus like any baby, they sleep like mad to start off with.
Theoretically dwarves should live in pairs but Chinese hamsters are little buggers when it comes to their own kind, and really territorial; it will be fine on it's own.

If this is your first one, it would be quite a good idea to join a hamster forum (don't laugh) - you'll get some amazing advice smile

LindyHemming Sun 02-Oct-11 19:42:19

fuzzysnout Sun 02-Oct-11 19:53:21

Please don't get an exercise ball. They're really not very kind as hammy doesn't have the option to get out & stop when he's had enough. There's also a risk of injury with them knocking around on the floor if it accidently gets knocked. It's easy to believe that hammy loves it& is having fun scooting around in it when he's actually just desperately scrabbling to get out of the thing. Hope you have fun with him, you sound like nice kind owners.

jenfraggle Sun 02-Oct-11 20:30:48

Dwarves tend to be more aggressive than Syrians. I've only had Syrians but have heard that it depends on the breed as to whether Dwarves are kept in pairs or singly so not sure which is which on them.

valiumredhead Mon 03-Oct-11 08:15:29

The excersise balls are fine if you don;t leave them alone and only do 10 mins at a time - which we do.

Callisto Mon 03-Oct-11 08:18:15

Why has your DH bought himself a hamster?

carabos Mon 03-Oct-11 08:26:31

Do something like what? Split the atom? Discover the missing link? It's a small nocturnal rodent with hyper- allergenic fur. The most likely things it will do are drive you mad rattling round it's cage all night and cause everyone to sneeze.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now