Talk

Advanced search

to want next door to get there dog to shut up!

(11 Posts)
MissWilde Sun 02-Oct-11 18:26:14

Our next door neighbours have a fucking massive large dog which NEVER STOPS BARKING! It will not shut up for hours on end and stops DC (and me) getting to sleep and working. It is also very scary for our DC. We live on a terrace so this animal must be pissing others off too.

So my question is WIBU to go and tell them to get it to be quiet? It is driving me slowly insane!

Euphemia Sun 02-Oct-11 18:31:33

Community Police job?

YouDoTheMath Sun 02-Oct-11 18:34:16

I'd report it, either police or local council. The people who lived in our house before us were reported by a neighbour - they used to leave their dog in the garden all day and it barked constantly. The person who reported it worked night shifts, and simply couldn't get any sleep during the day because of the dog.

Andrewofgg Sun 02-Oct-11 18:46:24

I have elsewhere been accused of having an anti-dog agenda; which I deny but people come first. This proves my point. You should not be keeping a dog unless your home and garden are big enough for it not to trouble other people. End of.

Flubule Sun 02-Oct-11 18:47:36

YANBU
I get that people love their dogs but a barking dog is a noise nuisance and that's all there is to it - might be a lovely dog, might be lovely owners, but the noise is intolerable.

Pagwatch Sun 02-Oct-11 18:48:27

I would report it. Noise like that drives you batty.

coccyx Sun 02-Oct-11 18:49:10

Are they always out? Poor dog, poor you

Nanny0gg Sun 02-Oct-11 18:49:57

Council dog warden.
We used to have 7 dogs next to us. They were let out into the garden (right under our bedroom window) every morning at 6.30am.
Thank the lord they moved...

We now have 4 with a different owner. No trouble at all.

foxtrottango Sun 02-Oct-11 18:56:32

We had people move in at the back of my house a few years ago. They had a collie but they would leave him in the garden all day while they were at work. He barked constantly, I work shifts and it drove me batty. I eventually had a word with them and found out that they had no idea he did this and no-one else had ever told them. They were convinced that he was quiet when they weren't there as he was generally quiet in the house. They immediately began keeping him in when they weren't there and there have been no other issues.

I was really hacked off and was convinced they knew about the barking and just didn't care. I went round ready for an argument but it seems that sometimes people genuinely don't realise that their dog is causing such huge problems for other people. Obviously your neighbours might be completely different in which case I'd ring the council and ask them to send a letter informing them that their dog is a bloody nuisance a bit of a bother!

LineRunner Sun 02-Oct-11 18:59:28

Years ago I had neighbours who had a dog who barked all day when they were out at work, and all night if they were out, and all day Christmas day when they were at relatives, and generally all day and night when they were not at home.

The dog was clearly very distressed, and they were shockingly poor dog owners.

I did speak to them eventually, after the lady a few doors up from me had a stand-up row with the dog-owners in the street about the awful racket. I suggested that if the dog was going to be left alone and barking and annoying the whole street ten hours a day minimum, then they might like to look into solutions such as a humane anti-barking collar. Not a zapper - awful things - but one of the ones promoted by animal welfare charities that squirt a little bit of water.

No substitute for actual caring and training, though.

Some people shouldn't own dogs.

belledechocchipcookie Sun 02-Oct-11 19:03:57

I'd call the dog warden. I agree that people shouldn't have large dogs unless they have a large garden, the couple on the front of my cul de sac have 2 alsations. The dogs spend most of the day in the garden which is about 8ft by 8 ft and all they do is bark! hmm It's cruel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now