Talk

Advanced search

to think everyone should know not to leave dogs in cars?

(63 Posts)
bebanjo Sat 01-Oct-11 23:54:07

To day, dog in car in tesco car-park, 2 windows open 2" each, full sun?
gave the reag to the staff, when we came out, a child was in the car with the dog, Windows now open more, child very red in face dog panting, no water in sight.
is it just me?

madhattershouse Sat 01-Oct-11 23:56:21

FGS did they really think opening the windows more and leaving a child in there would prevent the dog from getting fried??? They could have ended up with the RSPCA and SS on their backs for that! Stupid twats.

squeakytoy Sat 01-Oct-11 23:56:29

idiotic parents.. sad

I sat in the car yesterday with my dog, because it was too hot to wait outside the supermarket.. we had all the windows shut... and the air con running full blast smile

wherearemysocks Sun 02-Oct-11 00:01:45

I'm not remotely a dog person but even I know that that is beyond stupid.

Birdsgottafly Sun 02-Oct-11 00:02:25

How old was the child?

If they were gone a long time then YANBU, but my local park is by the Tesco and there are no toilets in the park, so we pop in to use them. Normally one stands and waits for the other with the dog outside, though.

Could there have been water in the boot, or they were buying water? just to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Mind you some people are fuckwits, end of.

Vallhala Sun 02-Oct-11 00:04:09

You'd have thought, wouldn't you, especially after last years well publicised cases - one where a police dog handler killed 2 dogs through doing so (having killed another a few years previously in the same way) and another where a woman left her SBT in a conservatory and came back to find her dead having tried to scratch and chew the doors and plasterwork to get out. sad

I'd have no hesitation in breaking the windows of a car if I found a dog locked in during a hot day. What's worse? Me in court for criminal damage or a dead dog on my conscience?

turtles Sun 02-Oct-11 00:08:32

i'd have phoned the police, especially with a child in the car as well! i don't see how you can give anyone the benefit of the doubt, there is no excuse unless they literally were gone for a few seconds.

Reported a dog locked in carin blazing sun, howling like it was being tortured to the security guy in morrisons car park last year, it was still there howling as we left.

I phoned the police on the walk home, just hope they did something.

Andrewofgg Sun 02-Oct-11 07:22:27

Vallhala the dead dog would be on the conscience of the owner, not hours. It is absurd to suggest that you could possibly have any business breaking the window over a dog.

Mishy1234 Sun 02-Oct-11 07:29:42

Complete idiots. Some people never learn do they.

Andrewofgg - I must admit I'd be hesitant about breaking a window, but if there was no alternative or help (police) weren't appearing quick enough I couldn't stand by and watch the animal suffer.

lifechanger Sun 02-Oct-11 07:30:18

Really Andrew? More important that the owner learns a lesson than that the suffering dog is saved? I'd break the window too.

Triggles Sun 02-Oct-11 08:26:22

I have to admit, it's these types of situations that makes me really miss my old job working for the police in the states. It was in the southwest, very hot desert area, and we simply called out the fire department on any report of a child or pet inside a car. If the parents/owner of vehicle were not present when they arrived, the car window was broken for access. No waiting around, no looking for owner. No chances taken on how long they had been in the car. Instant access through broken window, and THEN owner/parent located. grin On the first instance, there was no fine as long as child/pet okay as their "fine" was basically paying for repair of the window. And anyone that tried to claim it as vandalism needed a police report, for which they got a lovely report stating that the fire department had to break it to gain access as they had left a child or pet in the vehicle. And insurance then refused to pay. grin

Yeah, I know, I shouldn't enjoy that so much, but I really do. Serves them right for leaving a child or pet in the car.

Whatmeworry Sun 02-Oct-11 09:30:58

Trigges I think the UK could do with more of that sort of policing, probably more fun for the cops too.

borderslass Sun 02-Oct-11 09:38:33

When kids where little we where at a beach and 2 dogs had been left in a car was a few people around car DH found some thin plastic to put though window to raise the lock. Dogs where ok couldn't do that with most cars now as locks are recessed. Owners came back eventually they weren't that bothered.

TidyDancer Sun 02-Oct-11 10:07:06

Of course you'd break the window to get the dog out. I wouldn't even think twice. No owner in sight, suffering animal, I'd break it in a heartbeat.

OP, YANBU.

HeadfirstForHocusPocus Sun 02-Oct-11 10:15:01

It is absurd to suggest that you could possibly have any business breaking the window over a dog

So if it's not your dog then fuck it, it's not my business, let it die?

I'd be hsitant to break the window too, but if it were a choice between breaking it and letting an animal suffer...

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 02-Oct-11 10:21:05

You should always phone the police, thats what the rspca say to do.

People really are cunts.

follyfoot Sun 02-Oct-11 10:21:22

I'd smash the window too if the dogs were in distress, or at the very least wait around to check that the owners came back quickly. If not, then I'd break the window. I'd have thought most people would do that confused

noblegiraffe Sun 02-Oct-11 13:09:45

I'm just sat at motorway services and an announcement has been made that the owner of the car with the dog in and the windows closed needs to go sort it out. My car thermometer reads 28 degrees shock

CheeseandGherkins Sun 02-Oct-11 13:13:51

I'd be more concerned about the poor child in the car, children die in hot cars too...

pigletmania Sun 02-Oct-11 13:13:57

You would think that would'nt you? And to put a child in there too afterwards shock. Some people are just so stupid.

faverolles Sun 02-Oct-11 13:15:36

I'd smash the window too.
But having said that, how would you do it?
Do some people carry hammers with them all the time?

Tanith Sun 02-Oct-11 13:16:39

Risk the dog attacking you as an intruder? No, I'd phone the police rather than break a window.

brighthair Sun 02-Oct-11 13:21:48

I would ring the police and wait with dog. If dog got very distressed I would break window
Why don't people think - I wouldn't want to sit in a car like that and dogs can't cool down like us angry

pigletmania Sun 02-Oct-11 13:23:54

I would call the police, but like Tanith has pointed out, I would be a bit hmm about breaking the window you don't know the temprament of the dog, and if you have kids with you, could risk getting hurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now