Advanced search

help! neighbours drains are blocked and overflowing into my garden!

(31 Posts)
microserf Sat 01-Oct-11 21:27:44

sorry to post in aibu, but i'm really desperate. looks like our neighbours' drains have blocked and their grey water (definitely) and toilet discharge (possibly - BOAK) is running into our property and down our drain. we've only just realised as the problem was pretty well hidden, but we can now see the (papery) residue and we're really upset.

the neighbours are lovely tenants, and are desperate to get it sorted. They tell me their landlord was supposed to come round this week to sort it out, but "failed to show". does anyone have any expertise in this area? i'm minded to go utterly fucking nuclear on the landlord who has apparently been ignoring drains problems for months according to the tenants. I have toddlers running round my garden, it's a health hazard!

to make it more complicated, next door is divided into 2 flats and there are two owners, both of whom rent out the property. we're definitely getting BOTH of their bathroom discharge... we spoke to the ground floor tenants only.

fedupofnamechanging Sat 01-Oct-11 21:28:58

Phone environmental health?

rosycheeksandasmile Sat 01-Oct-11 21:30:01

Involve environmental health?

rosycheeksandasmile Sat 01-Oct-11 21:30:23

snap !!!

squeakytoy Sat 01-Oct-11 21:30:40

check your house insurance, you may have emergency cover that will send someone out to sort it straight away

squeakytoy Sat 01-Oct-11 21:32:51

we had this problem last year, and the stench was dreadful.. it was caused by the next door but one neighbours putting make up wipes and baby wipes down the loo.. and it all backed up.. we were at the beginning of the system, so we got the exploding manhole cover.. it was awful... but our house insurance did cover it..

M0naLisa Sat 01-Oct-11 21:33:18

Ring environmental health. Or local council.

microserf Sat 01-Oct-11 21:34:49

wow! ok, first call tomorrow is to environmental health! they are prob not in the office until monday right?

it is so disgusting, i'm beyond upset!

squeakytoy Sat 01-Oct-11 21:35:19

so you dont have house insurance?

microserf Sat 01-Oct-11 21:38:59

yes i do, but the problem is next door's drains, not mine. they are leaking from the drain itself, with unspeakable liquids running under a decked area, under my fence, across an area of my garden and into MY drains. i don't think my insurance will cover repairing their drains - which is the issue?

troisgarcons Sat 01-Oct-11 21:40:11

OP wont have buildings ins if she rents - just contents.

Op - you must have letting agents? emergency council/HA line ... phone that NOW - and get the emergency dynarodout

squeakytoy Sat 01-Oct-11 21:40:26

it is affecting YOUR property though.. and as you say, causing a health hazard onto your property too.. it might be worth you ringing them up to check

fedupofnamechanging Sat 01-Oct-11 21:41:03

If it's affecting your property, it's worth asking your insurance company for advice.

fedupofnamechanging Sat 01-Oct-11 21:41:22

x posted

squeakytoy Sat 01-Oct-11 21:41:38

Op may not rent Trois, sounds like next door is a private rent of one house split into two flats..

microserf Sat 01-Oct-11 21:42:28

ok, will call insurance company ASAP.... not happy as landlord has been ignoring this for months apparently, and it's all literally just started happening!

PoshPenny Sat 01-Oct-11 21:43:03

Buy some drain rods, rubber gloves, put on a snorkel and get rodding. Utterly revolting, but should solve the problem. Then you can invoice the next door landlords at the rip off rates charged by drain "specialists", and you will be ready for the next time it happens.

Me, I'm just happy I live on planet Septic, so I only deal with my own families stuff, not half the towns.

Good Luck!

microserf Sat 01-Oct-11 21:43:11

ps i don't rent, it's my first property - just bought a few months ago. am new to all this. next door is 2 flats both rented.

snice Sat 01-Oct-11 21:43:44

call your local water authority,tell them you have children and there is raw sewage coming into your garden. I think they will send a team to investigate and if necessary take emergency action

etyksm Sat 01-Oct-11 21:49:02

As of today 1st Oct 2011 the regulations have changed which I think means that the water company needs to deal with the drain.¶m=DG_10026174&utn=e9a36022313643beaa81201110012141

Links above Have more info.

squeakytoy Sat 01-Oct-11 21:50:09

your drain will link with their drain.. if you can lift the manhole cover, flush your loo, and you will see the water rush past, drain rods could work, but its a smelly horrible job to do, and when ours was blocked, even drain rods wouldnt sort it out, it had to be the high power jet that dyno rod use..

squeakytoy Sat 01-Oct-11 21:51:40

that link is only for sewerage pipes that are not on the property though Ety.. from OPs post, her drains and next door are within the boundaries.

etyksm Sat 01-Oct-11 21:52:09

Just re-read OP and I think it depends on if the drain in question is shared or not. May also depend on how the new rules apply to flats.

etyksm Sat 01-Oct-11 21:53:35

X-post blush

attheendoftheday Sat 01-Oct-11 21:57:04

This happened to us last year, environmental health came out quickly and were brilliant at getting the neighbours with the blocked drain to take action.

Agree with etyksm that there are new rules making the waterboard responsible, unless the neighbours are the first in the line of drains.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: