Talk

Advanced search

To take dc away for weekend

(9 Posts)
JentlyDoesIt Sat 01-Oct-11 18:34:33

Ok, been invited to a party next week in southampton. We're in Colchester & I don't drive so about 3 1/2 hrs by train each way.

My lovely friend has offered to pay for our train tickets & I'm seriously considering going but we couldn't leave til gone 3 on Saturday, then back again at some point on Sunday.

So, AIBU to put the 2 kids (DS - just about 5, DD - 3) through this much travel for 1 night? They won't get much out the party but we'll go to the harbour & things on Sunday.

Help!

Kayano Sat 01-Oct-11 18:38:29

Do it! Get
Out of the house, play train games grin

I love travelling to anywhere with anyone. Kids might enjoy the adventure!

troisgarcons Sat 01-Oct-11 18:45:44

go....go....go....it'll be an adventure!

Foxymona Sat 01-Oct-11 19:14:36

Sure won't they love being on a train? Bring colouring books and play 'spot the wally' ie people wearing socks with sandals grin

TidyDancer Sat 01-Oct-11 19:15:15

If they are anything like my DS, the train itself will be the big treat! Go for it and have a lovely time!

JentlyDoesIt Sat 01-Oct-11 19:30:47

Oh go on then, you twisted my arm grin They will love the trains, just boring practical mummy worrying about replacement buses, bedtimes, food etc blush

We go to Norwich & back a lot but that's only an hour. This will be my first "big trip" on my own with them- will be an adventure for us all smile

Will stock up on colouring books etc during the week wink

Anyone got any travel tips?

Kayano Sat 01-Oct-11 19:36:22

If you were driving I would say spot the Stobbart grin

But as it is on the train try and get the table seats and spread out. Don't go on the quiet coach grin

zipzap Sat 01-Oct-11 21:11:14

We took dc (6 & 3) to Disneyland Paris this summer, first holiday away with them. We drove so I put little rucksacks on their car seats as an extra treat /surprise. Also let me pack them before we went so was handy for me too. Got a pack of 8 mini colouring books from the pound shop so put a couple of those in each, a plain notebook each (again from a pack of 10 from the pound shop), a 30p pencil case from tesco with some of their own crayons in and a little car that cost about 30p on the sale. Plus a cd and dvd each, no surprise from supermarket bargains.

Whilst they enjoyed the holiday, the thing they loved the most were the little colouring books hmm and ds2 loved his cd, he still carries it around from room to room demanding that it gets put on! (Disney classics like bear necessities and supercallerfragi etc, I am now word perfect in them all). I also gave them a little pack of sweets that they were allowed to eat when they wanted but they didn't get any more so had to decide when to eat them.

Which is a very long way of saying that a couple of little surprises that will also keep them busy went a long way to keeping them busy and happy!

squeakytoy Sat 01-Oct-11 21:13:30

Kids love parties... even adult ones.

I remember sitting with my cousin, when we were about 4, hiding under the table and sneaking as many cocktail sausages and vol au vents that we could until we both felt sick!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now