Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be cross with my sister?

(76 Posts)
mogs0 Sat 01-Oct-11 17:19:18

We've been to town today to have photos taken of ds, my two sisters and me.

I had one shop that I wanted to go to, to buy a couple of things but didn't want ds to see so had arranged for him to go and browse the shelves in Game with one of my sisters. I had a lengthy conversation with my sister about him just going to look and not purchasing anything as he's just had a birthday, I'm already dreading christmas due to the sheer volume of stuff that'll be bought for him and also because we were in town to have photos taken not for shopping.

We got halfway home and my sister said she'd bought him a play station game but that it didn't count because it was really cheap hmm.

I'm really cross because she totally disregarded what I'd said but worse is that ds told her he wasn't supposed to buy anything and she's told him it doesn't matter and that she'll take the blame.

We've got home and realised the game is a 12 so too old for him anyway. I feel crap now because he's upset he can't play it.

AIBU?

Hassled Sat 01-Oct-11 17:22:42

Aunts are there to spoil their nephews/nieces. Unless they have their own kids, in which case that goes out the window. My kids would have nothing if my rich childless brother didn't spoil them.

But yes, I can see why you're cross. But also - cut her some slack. Let her indulge him a bit. To sum up - I'm on the fence.

valiumredhead Sat 01-Oct-11 17:23:52

YANBU but it's nice she wants to treat him. Difficult one.

valiumredhead Sat 01-Oct-11 17:24:26

Yeah what hassled said! grin

banana87 Sat 01-Oct-11 17:26:51

YAB a bit U.

You should never have sent them into Game. It's like sending a child into a sweet shop and telling them they can't have anything hmm. It was a nice day today, could they not have gone to the local park, or even the library?

mogs0 Sat 01-Oct-11 17:39:18

I know ds and I are very lucky that they're such devoted aunties but I was really cross because my sister specifically asked whether he was allowed anything so that he'd know in advance of going into the shop.

mogs0 Sat 01-Oct-11 17:43:24

Banana - they weren't sent to Game. He asked if he could go and look in there before we even left home to get ideas of which games he'd like to buy when he's saved some dosh. We were in a large city centre with an itinerary and the time they had to fill was approx 10mins so not enough time for a park or library.

squeakytoy Sat 01-Oct-11 17:49:43

You are being a bit unreasonable.. she is his aunt and wants to spoil him.

How old is he? "12" games are usually very very tame.

squeakytoy Sat 01-Oct-11 17:51:26

Oh, and your exact words were

didn't want ds to see so had arranged for him to go and browse the shelves in Game with one of my sisters which sounds to me very much like you did send them there... grin

mogs0 Sat 01-Oct-11 17:56:20

I know she wants to spoil him but why ask in the first place whether he's allowed anything if she was going to ignore me and get him something anyway.

He's 9.

bluelaguna Sat 01-Oct-11 17:59:07

YABU I think.

I can't think why you sent them into Game. It was rather like dangling a juicy piece of meat in front of a tiger and expecting the tiger not to eat it.

Forget about it, tell your DS he can have the game when he is older.

bluelaguna Sat 01-Oct-11 18:00:14

OK I see he wanted to go into Game - same outcome however the trip to Game came about.

snailoon Sat 01-Oct-11 18:01:39

YABU
It doesn't sound like he's spoilt and demanding if he was telling her not to buy anything. I think it's lovely to have people occasionally do something unexpected and forbidden. I still remember one of my mother's friends buying me a jelly doughnut; I had never had one as it wasn't something my parents would have condoned.
What exactly is in the 12 game? Is it something really terrible?
He is lucky to have a both a thoughtful mum who will stick to good principles, and indulgent aunties to make exceptions to the rule; that's the best of both worlds.
Don't spoil his treat.

Journey Sat 01-Oct-11 18:04:02

Agree with Hassled

ImperialBlether Sat 01-Oct-11 18:04:10

I think Friends is classed as 12 on DVD isn't it?

Would you let him watch that?

I think you're being quite mean, really, OP. Your sister was just being a nice aunt to her nephew. You sound as though you've spoiled the day, not her.

squeakytoy Sat 01-Oct-11 18:05:20

I cant see any reason for a 9 year old not to be allowed to play a 12 game to be honest.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Sat 01-Oct-11 18:09:15

I agee with IB - it sounds like you've needlessly spoiled a very enjoyable day.

So what is the game?

mogs0 Sat 01-Oct-11 18:15:08

I don't see how I have spoiled the day.

Whether anyone else thinks my 9 year old can/should play a 12cert game is irrelevant.

BeerTricksPotter Sat 01-Oct-11 18:19:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Iggi999 Sat 01-Oct-11 18:20:23

You do sound rather grumpy. Not much to get upset about, really? Wasn't your sister doing you a favour by minding ds while you bought your "unmentionables", and then buying him a bargain game (many are only a few quid if not just out). Sounds like a reward for having to sit through getting his photo done! Laugh a minute round your place.

banana87 Sat 01-Oct-11 18:26:54

I think this is another thread where the OP has decides she's NBU and will flame anyone who thinks she is rather than taking it constructively.

OP, if you don't want him playing the 12 game then exchange it for one he can play.

pictish Sat 01-Oct-11 18:33:56

Yabu.....lighten up.

pictish Sat 01-Oct-11 18:34:40

Oh ok. You expected complete agreement.
Never mind.

squeakytoy Sat 01-Oct-11 18:39:41

You actually sound like a bit of a control freak. Most people look forwards to christmas and seeing their childs joy at getting gifts... confused

5BottlesOfShampoo Sat 01-Oct-11 18:40:39

YABU. And again, most 12 games are quite tame anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now