Talk

Advanced search

would DD be BU to not tell future employers (Sat job) about forthcoming surgery?

(17 Posts)
paranoidandroidwreckmyownlife Sat 01-Oct-11 16:58:50

Have posted in health about DD's leg problems. See here...
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childrens_health/1306785-Femoral-Anteversion-Operation-for-17yr-old-DD-Any-experience-anyone

She was also made redundant over the summer from her saturday job and is not completely broke, and was applying for saturday jobs elsewhere.
She's now on the waiting list for the first of 2 (possibly 4) operations. Each will have her off work for 2 weeks, then on crutches for another 6, but able to go to school/work. Each Op at least 9m apart.
Should she be honest, she won't get a job if she is really will she?

slavetofilofax Sat 01-Oct-11 17:17:25

She should be honest.

She might still get the job, I have just been offered a term time only job after telling them that I would need time off when my dh has an operation. There were loads of other applicants.

ImperialBlether Sat 01-Oct-11 18:24:37

I'm sorry she's going to need the operations, but she wouldn't be able to work in a shop if she had to have crutches, would she? School is different as they can make allowances and she will be sitting for much of the time, but shop work would be impossible.

PiggyMad Sat 01-Oct-11 18:40:54

Our Saturday girl broke her ankle and couldn't work until it was healed (I work in a clothes shop) so it would be likely she wouldn't be working for weeks. The job is, after all, standing up all day and running up and down stairs to the stockroom and running around after customers. Same in a cafe or restaurant.

How soon are the operations likely to be? If imminent, I would say she shouldn't bother to get a job until they are all done and she is able to work continuously as she wouldn't get sick pay anyway for just a few hours a week. Or perhaps seek babysitting-type work where she won't be on her feet continuously.

If she does decide to seek work then I think she should inform the employer if offered a job.

5BottlesOfShampoo Sat 01-Oct-11 18:46:35

Honesty would be preferable. FWIW, a close friend was given a job recently, and she'd informed them at the time she'd need 2 weeks off less than 3 weeks into said job for an operation. They did everything they could to accommodate her. Depends entirely on the employer, but honesty is the best policy.

FabbyChic Sat 01-Oct-11 19:03:54

Why would your child need money? She lives at home does she not, she has a resident parent. Money should be the furthest thing from yours or her mind, getting through the operations are more important.

It is wrong not to tell a prospective employer, besides they don't have to keep her job open whilst she is off, no retail establishment will allow a person to come to work on crutches.

I suggest she does not even consider looking for work until at least the first operation is over and she is recovered, in the meantime if she needs money you supplement her. She is after all your child.

paranoidandroidwreckmyownlife Sat 01-Oct-11 19:37:55

Hmmm, why does a 17yr old girl need money, I'm sure she could give you dozens of answers to that one?grin
You've all answered as I'd thought. It's probably best she gives up on the idea of another job for the foreseeable future. We give her what we can to help her enjoy life, but can't pay for all the extra nights and days out that her working friends can. DH has just taken a mobile contract out for her with unlimited texts. That will help her, no more top ups to pay and as long as she doesn't go over her free minutes we'll cover the monthly bill.
Just seems like she's going to have some pretty shitty teenage years yo be honest. Hope to goodness it ends up just being the two Ops and not four.

cory Sat 01-Oct-11 19:44:44

It may seem tough right now, poor girl, but she'll come through it and hopefully without the humiliation of an employer finding out she has lied to him.

My parents didn't allow me to work in my teens because I wasn't very strong: it felt hard at the time, but was an enormous advantage when I got to uni as I had never got used to spending a lot of money. My money went further than anybody else's.

TheDailyWail Sat 01-Oct-11 19:55:03

If it's a Saturday job in retail then (and it's VERY rare for me to go against the grain) I would not tell them. I wouldn't think that they would keep her on and re-employ her after the op anyway. This has been my experience with working in a few retail shops. 5 different companies all with a lack of respect for their workers. And thus was 15-20 years ago, I doubt things have changed for the better. sad

SenseofEntitlement Sat 01-Oct-11 19:59:31

How about a sat down job? (eg telesales)

Telesales isn't the nicest of jobs, but it is better paid than most teenage jobs, and I know a lot of places will basically take anyone on. They do sack an awful lot after the training as well, mind, but then she could try somewhere else.

Or agency work? That kind of thing is set up for people to have time off.

TheDailyWail Sat 01-Oct-11 23:03:56

That's a better suggestion.

paranoidandroidwreckmyownlife Sun 02-Oct-11 08:39:52

Will look around for different types of jobs, thank you.

FabbyChic Sun 02-Oct-11 08:43:31

No employer will allow a worker to work when on crutches, health and safety prevails.

I have an 18 year old he managed dandy on the £30 a week given by the state whilst he was at college, that still runs for a year. If you earn too much for her to get that then that is not her fault and you should be giving her that a week. Besides like adults she can only afford to go out X amount of nights so that is all she should do. She will be laid up for a while so its not like she will be spending when she does go out.

My son 18 has had a contract phone for 3 years I paid it even whilst on benefits because that is what parents do.

troisgarcons Sun 02-Oct-11 08:49:17

Well, Fabby - not everyone gets "benfits" but that's a whole diferent thread.

I have an 18 year old he managed dandy on the £30 a week given by the state whilst he was at college, that still runs for a year. If you earn too much for her to get that then that is not her fault and you should be giving her that a week

let me think about that for a moment - £30 a week? £120 a month - multiply that by two children ..... I think not - you want, you work. Babysitting, dog walking, gardening.

Massive sense of entitlement to assume everything is handed on a plate.

EvilTwins Sun 02-Oct-11 08:56:57

EMA might still be in existence, but the £30 has been cut to £20, and anyone who was is receipt of less than the full £30 now gets nothing.

I think it's admirable that the OP's DD wants to get another Saturday job- it's more than money- learning to be reliable, responsible and to interact with different sorts of people are all valuable skills. Good for her.

troisgarcons Sun 02-Oct-11 09:00:59

EMA only applies to existing applicants. This crop of Y12's are not entitled to it - I believe there is a hardship bursary that can be applied for.

But EMA was thoroughly abused. It only took into account the income of the principle household. Children were having their school records altered to live with the "poorer" parent to enable full rate EMA. It also didnt take into account that a large proportion here work in the local shopping centre (which is open 'till 10, plus weekends) and were taking home £250-300 per week. One boy was actually working full time in effect and taking home nearly £500 a week.

paranoidandroidwreckmyownlife Sun 02-Oct-11 11:16:11

Fabby, I've never been one to encourage my children to sit back and take 'what's due' to them. Yes, we will give her what she needs of course, but we have other children and are not made of money as we support them ourselves.
As a long time lurker I've often respected your point of view, but you are coming across a bitt OTT on this to be honest.
My original question was answered the way I was feeling, just wanted to know if everyone else would have kept quiet as my own moral compass can be OTT at times. (Was always a goody goody at school.)blushgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now