Talk

Advanced search

To ask them to split this between us? Garden/Neighbours.

(10 Posts)
GalaxyWeaver Sat 01-Oct-11 11:55:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MindtheGappp Sat 01-Oct-11 11:57:53

I think it is your responsibility to pay for the shoring up.

Their fence panels and slabs should be secure, though.

Can't you do the work yourselves? It is basically some low cost materials and labouring.

Rosa Sat 01-Oct-11 12:02:09

The neighbours have to secure the fences and slabs etc ... However as it is your side that is making them slip then you are in a catch 22 so maybe try it and see.

ChippingIn Sat 01-Oct-11 12:03:01

I guess it depends why their garden is higher than yours. Have they built them up or have you dug yours out?

notabankersmum Sat 01-Oct-11 12:05:47

"their fences and gardens have started slipping"

I don't think you are BU to ask to split it since it's their fencing.

diddl Sat 01-Oct-11 12:06:45

I would have thought that if it´s there gardens that are "slipping", then the responsibility is theirs.

I assume that they know?

sausagesandmarmelade Sat 01-Oct-11 12:07:08

If their fences and gardens are causing the problem then it's fair enough to ask them to chip in.

I believe it's their responsiblity to ensure that their fences are secure and don't pose a danger to anyone else.

BionicEmu Sat 01-Oct-11 12:19:21

My mother has a similar situation - neighbours' gardens are 20-odd feet higher than hers in places. Her solicitor said it's the responsibility of whoever owns the boundary, just like any normal fencing/boundary maintenance issue would be. So if I were you I'd be looking at deeds etc to try & find out who owns the boundary (& praying it's not you!) If they own it they are liable for any injury or damage etc caused by their negligence to maintain, if you own it then unfortunately you are liable for damage to their property if anything happens. NB: I'm no expert, just what my mum was told by her solicitor. Good luck!

EllaDee Sat 01-Oct-11 13:30:31

I agree, check the contract and it will probably say if the boundary is theirs or yours.

valiumredhead Sat 01-Oct-11 14:36:24

Not sure fences can be replaced on insurance, can they?

I don't think YABU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now