Talk

Advanced search

To be upset that something of mine has been broken and want to replace it!

(14 Posts)
Atwaroverscrabble Sat 01-Oct-11 00:06:46

ok. A little while ago i decided to treat myself to the diet plate and bowl on a groupon deal... I dont go out and so rarely spend any money on myself.

I need to lose weight and thought this would help with portion sizes. At present i use the bowl dail and the plate once or twice a week... I was plamning on really using it this week as i have signed up for a run...

Tonight however, DSD (16) was doing the dishes and of all the dishes which one did she break? Yup my diet plate! Arghhhh

I was calm and said dont worry it was an accident etc but i am upset and i want to get a new one... Dh is saying i am stupid for being upset and that we are not wasting £20+ on a new one... Aibu??

springydaffs Sat 01-Oct-11 00:10:23

No, you are not BU at all. he is imo

worraliberty Sat 01-Oct-11 00:10:35

I don't know because I don't know what it is really.

Is it necessary or is it a gimmick type thing?

backwardpossom Sat 01-Oct-11 00:11:48

It depends really. Can you afford the £20 easily? If so, fuck it, buy a new one. Why is your DH dictating to you what you can/can't spend your money on?

squeakytoy Sat 01-Oct-11 00:12:27

It is a complete gimmick!! It doesnt stop you piling the food higher!

Rubyx Sat 01-Oct-11 00:13:37

i have a fridge magnet with the sizings on it and would be happy to send you one. ( it will take a day or two for me to find it lol)

AgentZigzag Sat 01-Oct-11 00:15:21

You're not stupid for being upset, because it obviously meant something to you for getting your head round changes in your diet.

I'm trying not to be facetious, but could you make one yourself?

£20 does seem quite a lot for a plate, but like I said, it could also be about how the plate made you feel, which if your DH knew the depth of that, would he gladly pay only £20 to help you feel more in control?

ChippingIn Sat 01-Oct-11 00:15:33

Have you tried eBay?

zipzap Sat 01-Oct-11 00:17:29

Could you haunt groupon and see if the offer comes back? Lots of them seem to return...

Alternatively do you still have the bits or a picture of it? Get a cheap plain plate from ikea or the supermarket and one of the craft poems that allows you to paint on porcelain, bake it in the oven and the n use as normal. Get paint in a nice pen form rather than needing to be applied with a brush do you can write on it easily.

Et voila - your very own plate at a fraction of the price. Just make sure it's as close in size as possible to the other one and get your markings in the right place...

Atwaroverscrabble Sat 01-Oct-11 00:18:52

It is alot and thats why i only bought it on a groupon deal after i had sold some stuff on ebay...

The one for £20 is on ebay on a buy it now...

Its not necessarily about a specific item its the fact that something of mine, that i dont have to share with dh or the kids has been broken and i am upset about that and would have appreciayed some empathy from dh...

pictish Sat 01-Oct-11 00:24:28

Yanbu - you deserve and should have £20 to spend on yourself. It's not a very tall order. Buy your dish.

AgentZigzag Sat 01-Oct-11 00:26:48

So as you worked to get the cash together to buy it, I don't see how your DH thinks he has a right to call you stupid for wanting to replace it.

He should be offering to get you another one sorted, if he could acknowledge it's not just a bit of crockery.

AgentZigzag Sat 01-Oct-11 00:28:10

Tell him you've seen a handbag you're going to get, a snip at £450, before you tell him the plate's being replaced wether he likes it or no grin

AhsataN Sat 01-Oct-11 01:02:08

YANBU replace the plate! dh should be a bit more understanding and be willing to help you pay for another one. do something for yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now