Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want a wasps' nest removed?

(13 Posts)
Cathycomehome Fri 30-Sep-11 22:17:31

I am severely allergic to wasp stings and have an epi pen in case of disaster.

There are lots of sleepy, grumpy murdererswasps around, and there is a nest next door to my workplace, meaning that 4-5 a day come into the room I work in each day, and more in the area I have lunch in.

I want the nest removed (which apparently costs), but have been given a can of wasp murdering spray instead (so I'm meant to get rid of them one by one??).

Is this OK? Do I have to live in fear until it finally gets cold again?

HSMM Fri 30-Sep-11 22:19:24

Call Pest control at the local authority and see if they'll do anything about it?

Cathycomehome Fri 30-Sep-11 22:20:18

They will come and do it, apparently, but it will cost money.

Bogeyface Fri 30-Sep-11 22:26:16

I think, but you need to check, that this is a H&S issue. My dad is an H&S consultant and there was a similar issue that he had to deal with. Iirc the bosses didnt want to pay for removal of the offending nest but when dad told them that as the employee had informed them of her allergy, if they chose to do nothing then the employee may be able to sue them if she was stung and had a bad reaction.

Do check because this is vaguely remembered from a couple of years back, but in the meantime put in writing what the problem is and what the ramifications would be if you were stung and what you would like them to do about it.

Cathycomehome Fri 30-Sep-11 22:34:28

Ah! Thanks. They know I am allergic and we have actually had epi pen training at work, because both I and another person in the environment have severe allergies (the other one is peanuts, and that is taken VERY seriously).

Maybe his is taken seriously because he is 6 and I am 33, but I'd be no less dead if one got me, even if I am more capable of risk assessment!

skybluepearl Fri 30-Sep-11 23:08:48

can you ask them to get pest control in? say you are not happy with just the spray

Cathycomehome Fri 30-Sep-11 23:12:23

I think I'm the only person in the UK who is unhappy about the Indian Summer! I relish the wasp free months!

nancy75 Fri 30-Sep-11 23:12:27

If it is next door to your work place do you mean it's in another building? Is the building owned by your employer?

Cathycomehome Fri 30-Sep-11 23:14:59

It's in the swimming pool which is owned by our building, but the kids aren't swimming at the mo, so it is unused.

hidinginthecupboard Fri 30-Sep-11 23:24:45

I don't know where the nest is obviously or how hard it is to get to but I got one dealt with in the guttering today for £48 and others I saw online were about £40 (I had to book in a hurry so went with first one that answered and could do it asap) Not to say I think you should pay for it - but bit shocked your boss won't, how much do they think it will cost?

Incidentally the council would have charged £40 but wouldn't do it because it was too high up apparently.

serin Fri 30-Sep-11 23:30:51

Yes, £40 is about the going rate. We paid £45 to have one removed back in June. It is a very insignificant amount when you consider the after effects of you being stung (they would have to get replacements in to coveryour sick leave for one thing....) Your boss is a numpty.

Inertia Fri 30-Sep-11 23:31:50

I think you need to email whoever is responsible for employee health and safety and out line exactly what the risks to your health are. YANBU. Are you in a union, could they give you more specific advice?

Cathycomehome Fri 30-Sep-11 23:41:49

I was stung about three years ago and experienced serious respiratory (sp?) difficulties and also swelling of lips and eyes.

Was considered life threatening reaction.

Glad IANBU as I can't teach with the buggers angrily flying round my room!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now