Talk

Advanced search

To think there's something...well...just plain WEIRD about someone whose ambition is to be a dentist?

(51 Posts)
AgentZigzag Fri 30-Sep-11 20:33:13

I know they want to help mankind with their oral hygiene advice, gently chide those who smoke too many fags/drink too much coke, and frighten little children improve the nations dental health...

...but who wants to go poking about in peoples' mouths??

And possibly cause pain to them?

Maybe they get a secret thrill out of their scary reputation, and like the look of horror on peoples' faces when they're introduced as 'Vladimir the DENTIST mwahahaha' <cape swish> at cocktail parties.

(Can you tell I've got my check up in a couple of weeks? grin)

madonnawhore Fri 30-Sep-11 20:35:10

What about proctologists? Or even gynaecologists?

I wouldn't fancy rummaging in people's malfunctioning bumholes and fanjos but someone's got to do it.

Anyway, being a dentist is basically like having a licence to print money.

AgentZigzag Fri 30-Sep-11 20:35:39

It's a bit of a thread about prettypurpledaisys thread.

Brave, brave lass smile

SinicalSal Fri 30-Sep-11 20:36:48

great pay, great hours. could be worth it

StealthPolarBear Fri 30-Sep-11 20:36:57

Well you learn something new every day. I had no idea there are doctors just for bumholes.
DH's dad is a dentist. But he always wanted to be a doctor - I think his parents told him dentistry was more secure and settled, and he regrets it slightly sad

AgentZigzag Fri 30-Sep-11 20:37:09

Mmmm, good bloody points madonna.

Baggy not me do it.

<pushes madonna forward for bum rumaging duties>

madonnawhore Fri 30-Sep-11 20:38:25

Oh that's a weird coincidence because I went to the proctologist and the gynaecologist today for my malfunctioning bumhole and fanjo. Spooky.

grin

madonnawhore Fri 30-Sep-11 20:39:02

Oops, x posted with a few of you. Now I look like I'm over-sharing.

MurunBuchstansangur Fri 30-Sep-11 20:39:06

I think I'd like it.

I have a little being a dentist fantasy.

SmilingHappyBeaver Fri 30-Sep-11 20:39:28

YABU.

All the Dentists I know earn over £100k... seems a pretty sensible ambition to me. However they all wanted to be Dentists because of the money rather than for any passion for oral hygiene.

Mummawummadooda Fri 30-Sep-11 20:40:55

Seriously, don't worry about those wanting to b a dentist but those who wish to be a hygienist! Cleaning teeth for a living? Good grief why people?

MonkeysToesAreTickly Fri 30-Sep-11 20:41:34

YABU dentists earn a lot, and don't have the same crazy hours as hospital doctors.

Perfectly sensible, plus I'm not that icked out by mouths or teeth, so it doesn't always bother people.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 30-Sep-11 20:43:53

I had a brilliant hygienist who counselled me back from a 20 year dentist gap and I asked him why he did such a weird job and he said it was people like me. No major dental work involved, no drills or scary stuff, but a good descale and clean made shedloads of difference to the scared. He was right smile Then he left and I got scared to go again sad

AgentZigzag Fri 30-Sep-11 20:44:41

Are you all saying you'd cause pain to other people - for a price?

Oh.

What else would you do for money?

Torturers!

ladywithnomanors Fri 30-Sep-11 20:45:26

My DS (6) told me recently that he wanted to be a 'doctor for teeth'. I'm bloody overjoyed - great career, great money, great hours - what's not to like!

Andrewofgg Fri 30-Sep-11 20:45:38

In 1968 a well-known proctologist died and the Daily Telegraph remarked in an obituary that he liked to be thought of as the Augustus John of the arsehole!

AgentZigzag Fri 30-Sep-11 20:46:42

I've always found the majority of dentists (and I've not had that many in my life) have been really sympathetic if you tell them you're a bit nervous Gwen.

Even if some of the sympathy was blatently through clenched teeth grin

thefurryone Fri 30-Sep-11 20:48:37

Well as all the dentists I know work less than 5 days a week and earn a fortune, I'm not sure that wanting to help mankind really enters into it.

WannaBeMarryPoppins Fri 30-Sep-11 20:49:05

I always say the same and people just stare at me like I am crazy, muttering that dentists are important. Of course they are but I just wouldn't want my work place to basically be in peoples' mouths. Just looking at some peoples teeth makes me feel grossed out, not even talking about bad breath. And the whole pain thing...

Maybe they are all like the dentist in Little Shop of Horrors? (NOT for squeamish people!) Dentist Song

trixymalixy Fri 30-Sep-11 20:51:45

YABU, I wish I'd been a dentist. The money and hours are fantastic.

exoticfruits Fri 30-Sep-11 20:52:03

YABU. My DS was friends with several trainee dentists at university. They are doing wonderfully well now-have bought lovely houses and have a great lifestyle. (much better than DS who isn't a dentist).

Vallhala Fri 30-Sep-11 20:52:04

YANBU. I used to know a lot of drunken pot smokers dental students. Odd lot... they learn their trade on dead bodies. [nvy] <--- vom emoticon

No wonder one of their number was known as Cosmo - AKA "Cosmic Colin", high as a kite most of the time.

I resolved never to have dental treatment at London's Guys Hospital after meeting that lot!

mountaingirl Fri 30-Sep-11 20:56:18

We have dentist friends who live nearby who retired in their late 40's. I wish I had listened to my old dentist who told me to consider dentistry....My dentist works a few months a year, gets a locum to replace her, and spends her free time travelling all over the world. ladywithnomanors I agree with you.

WannaBeMarryPoppins Fri 30-Sep-11 20:56:24

They learn on dead bodies? shock I would have thought they use old teeth/plastic stuff till they are ready to train on patients.
The uni here offers cheap dental treatments so the students can practice

IWantWine Fri 30-Sep-11 21:00:24

I am bragging unashamedly but my dentist is really amazing. He is so gentle, and really good at his job.

People say I have nice teeth and that is all down to him, and into the bargain, he is absolutely gorgeous! If you want his name PM me! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now