Talk

Advanced search

To put a sunbathing on dd but not on ds?

(10 Posts)
rogersmellyonthetelly Fri 30-Sep-11 16:47:31

Ds (almost 7) has olive skin and tans quickly without burning. Dd is 5, with very fair skin and burns easily. I have packed them both off to mil for a sleepover with swimsuits, paddling pool and factor 50 suncream as always. Found dd's hat no prob, couldn't find ds's anywhere, it's probably mouldering on up a tree on the playingfield as he takes it off as soon as I'm out of range anyhow. I just know I'm going to get a phone all from mil about the lack of sunhat, but its October FFs, not July! Chances of him getting burnt with factor 50 at this time of year is slim I think. Am I being unreasonable and a lax parent?

rogersmellyonthetelly Fri 30-Sep-11 16:48:11

Sunhat FFs! Bloody autocorrect!

worraliberty Fri 30-Sep-11 16:49:34

Do you mean not to put a sun hat on him?

Well hats are normally to stop heat stroke rather than to stop burning if you have sun cream anyway.

I've never bothered with hats on my boys much past the age of about 7 but then I wouldn't let them stay out in blazing heat all day.

worraliberty Fri 30-Sep-11 16:50:06

Sun stroke!

And I don't even have auto correct blush

valiumredhead Fri 30-Sep-11 16:52:21

Hats help stop burning the tops of ears - where my grandfather had awful awful skin cancer through years of gardening with no hat. YABU.

It's meant to be 30 in some parts tomorrow so hotter than July!

worraliberty Fri 30-Sep-11 16:55:38

I always sun block their ears and noses

October has nothing to do with it OP, obviously it's about the sunshine.

I can't believe how weird it is to be laying in the garden baking, with the Autumn leaves falling off the tree and sticking to my sun tan lotion shock

minibmw2010 Fri 30-Sep-11 17:04:14

YABU I'm afraid, it's boiling hot out there and I went a bit pink even with SF50, the fact it's end September has nothing to do with it.

rogersmellyonthetelly Fri 30-Sep-11 17:06:12

Oh bugger. Maternal guilt trip here we go.

DooinMeCleanin Fri 30-Sep-11 17:07:39

YABU. DH is extremely dark, most people ask if he is mixed race (is that still the right term? Sorry if I offended anyone) he is that dark. He believed he wouldn't need a hat when we were in Spain earlier this year, the temp was about the same as it is now, he became very ill and spent the first three days of his holiday in bed with sunstroke.

tyler80 Fri 30-Sep-11 17:27:48

The fact that it is September does make a difference although not passing comment on whether that means sunhat or no sunhat. Even if the temperature is the same, the angle of the sun relative to the earth means the suns rays are comparatively weaker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now