Talk

Advanced search

pension

(15 Posts)
livinginaparadise Fri 30-Sep-11 15:52:13

One of my friend who is married said her husband's ex-wife has received her husband's pension every month.
Is a wife entitled to receive her husband's pension(private pension+state pension) if she divorces? Do most husbands know about this?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 30-Sep-11 15:53:56

Pensions generally included in the divorce settlment, yes.

In some cases, yes. After a short marriage, no.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 30-Sep-11 15:57:55

I don't know what the rule are, but if the blokeruns off after the wife has raised the family and probably buggered her own pension prospects, then I should bloody well hope so.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 30-Sep-11 16:10:33

Presumably if exW has both H's private and state pension he must be living on something.....

Andrewofgg Fri 30-Sep-11 16:15:30

Usually included in settlement by claim being dismissed because the judge won't award the entire house and half the pension - quite rightly in most cases - and wife prefers bricks and mortar now.

If the divorce was issued before a certain date in 1996 there was no power to split the pension. I had a male colleague whose wife's solicitors issued the petition on the last day before it became possible - and there were no assets except the pension. I hope she sued the arse of them.

LittleOneMum Fri 30-Sep-11 16:17:53

My Mum's DH pays most of his pension to his ex-wife. Seems very odd because ex-wife is remarried to a really rich bloke. But I have said to my Mum that she did raise his 3 kids for 20 years so it seems fair to me.

LeninGrad Fri 30-Sep-11 16:19:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SpanishPaella Fri 30-Sep-11 16:20:51

yep, my old man is due an enormous lump sum relatively shortly and i would be quite miffed if after putting up with him for hundreds of years, I didnt get some recompense if we split up

Andrewofgg Fri 30-Sep-11 16:26:19

It is odd that if a man is paying maintenance and his ex remarries the maintenance stops; but if he is sharing his pension it goes on. Bt that's how it is.

livinginaparadise Fri 30-Sep-11 17:50:55

How about marriage under 5 years and no kids? She will get none?

livinginaparadise Fri 30-Sep-11 17:54:27

And can he arrange pension without invloving solicotors?

If a husband doesnt think his wife is right to have his pension or doesnt want to give his pension does she have to find a solicotors?

dreamingofsun Fri 30-Sep-11 17:58:39

as people say its true. just happened to my brother who's wife was too lazy to get a job and claimed she gave up a career (working in a shop) to slave away watching TV

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 30-Sep-11 17:59:14

The 'right to the pension' is all part of the discussion on how the marital assets are split and is totally dependent on the individual circumstances of the people splitting up. If you're relatively young, have been married for 5 years, have no children and haven't sacrificed a career etc you're not normally entitled to a share of your exH's pension because you have plenty of time and opportunity to make your own provision for old age. Anyone can arrange a pension without involving solicitors - don't understand that question.

Agree with cogito. But pension sharing on divorce has to be done with a court order so solicitors have to be involved. There's nothing to stop someone paying their ex directly without needing a court order, but pension adminstrators can't make payment to anyone else without a court order.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now