Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed at mobile hairdresser [prepares to go to grip shop]

(48 Posts)
fit2drop Fri 30-Sep-11 15:42:05

She is a very good hairdresser(she does exactly what I want and knows my hair)
However today I had organised for her to be here for 11am, it normally takes 1 & 1/2 to 2 hrs so I would be free by 1pm ish.

Great , that meant I could go to work and catch up after almost three months off due to major surgery. I am returning next Tuesday and was going to use this afternoon to play catch-up (obviously it will take longer but it would be a start and a chance to speak to manager re any important changes I needed to be aware of. I work in MH so situations and peoples conditions, treatment etc can change.

So I ring work and arrange a meeting with Manager who thinks this would be a good idea and actually cancels her arrangements to accommodate me .

Hairdresser did not turn up so at 11.30 I rang her, no answer, so I left a voice mail to contact me asap.

NOTHING, So at 12. I decide I will get ready and go to work as arranged for 1.30pm

1:00PM she turns up... I am then thinking shit!! I will now have to cancel manager, which will look bad , after all she cancelled other arrangements to make room for me. So I didnt really want to do that.

I told Hairdresser I would have to rearrange as I had a meeting at 1.30. But I needed an appointment before next Tuesday as that was when I was returning to work and I would still need the full colour and cut as it hadn't been done since before my surgery.Yep it was THAT bad

She said she could not fit me in as she does not work weekends and was fully booked on Monday.

So I cancelled with my manager who was politely OK about it (but I got the sense she wasn't really iykwim) I felt really shit at messing her around.
She is too busy on Monday and obviously does not want to cancel anything after to-days fiasco.

Trust me though my hair seriously needed doing , it wasn't something I could put off till after returning to work.

Hairdresser has not really given a reason other than running late and mobile reception was crap where she was hmm
She is a lovely girl and I do not want to fall out with her, certainly not over this but I feel really cross now that she has gone and its too late to do anything about it and to be fair you don't need to fall out with someone who is just about to do your hair , do ya confused

I just think because it was her tardiness that caused this it wouldn't have hurt her to offer a late hair cut (ie after her last client) or even to come at the weekend. But then I understand that she needs her time off too..

arghhhhh why am I so pissed off with her. Would you be?
How would you have handled it? Taking on board she is good, reasonable priced and I have an almost pathological fear of hairdressers but have built up a trust relationship with this girl over the last 3 years

My hair looks bloody great though grin

hophophippidtyhop Fri 30-Sep-11 15:46:31

I think I would have pushed for a weekend app - after all, it was her that was late, not you, she should have been a bit more willing to accomodate you really.

SnapesMistress Fri 30-Sep-11 15:47:14

YANBU but if she is usually good no need to annoy someone who makes your hair look great.

Blu Fri 30-Sep-11 15:50:53

I would have stuck with the person who put herself out for you (at work) not the person who let you down.

Gone into work, all the while contacting friends for an alternative hairdresser who could do your hair, just this once, before you go back to work.

You've only got one manager, but there are loads of hairdressers out there.

I would have been v pissed off if I was your manager - esp if I knew it was over a hair appt.

Glad your hair looks good though!

ViviPru Fri 30-Sep-11 15:54:20

I'd have been massively peed off too, OP. You're not overreacting. I hate letting people down/reneging on plans so its massively frustrating when someone else's lack of professionalism causes you do do so. I'm also hugely fussy about my hair.

I probably would have cancelled the hair and gone to the meeting, and maybe just got an appointment elsewhere (easy to say - p'raps not so easy to do in practice - I am MASSIVELY fussy) I don't think there's anything else you can do now except enjoy your new hair do and unexpected free time in this lovely sunshine, and realise that while your manager was temporarily inconvenienced, she/he's probably making the most of some unexpected time available on a Friday afternoon to finish up.

fit2drop Fri 30-Sep-11 15:57:20

I know, I just hate the way I feel, Its like I am getting more pissed off the more I think about it .
Im not sure if I am even more pissed off with myself for not being a bit more ballsy demanding a proper explanation/apology.
Its because I trust her with my hair isn't itconfused I feel almost blackmailed into accepting any behaviour just because I rely on her .
Is that how vain we become, rather than standing up for what is morally right , we accept crap service for a good end result.
If this had been any other service I would not have sucked it up so easily, I would have been very verbal, demanding answers, apologies and rectification on my terms .

ViviPru Fri 30-Sep-11 15:58:41

Yes, I hear you OP. I turn into an acquiescent gibbering fool in the hairdressers chair.

makachu Fri 30-Sep-11 16:01:41

Yanbu to be annoyed at the hairdresser, but I think you should have got your hair done somewhere else instead of letting your manager down- you were let down, so you let down someone else and still got your hair cut in the end? How does that work?

mumsamilitant Fri 30-Sep-11 16:01:46

Well I would be a tad annoyed but not really growling about it. Maybe another appointment overran. Started off wanting a cut then decided to have a bunch of highlights to boot. Give it a day or so and all will be calm. I for one wouldn't want to loose my hairdresser who knows EXACTLY how I like my hair cut.

buzzskillington Fri 30-Sep-11 16:06:25

I think you should have skipped the hair - I'm surprised you messed your manager about for the sake of this hairdresser! shock

upahill Fri 30-Sep-11 16:11:59

I can't believe that you let your manager down. I would be hugely pissed off with you!

cat64 Fri 30-Sep-11 16:12:52

Message withdrawn

cat64 Fri 30-Sep-11 16:14:08

Message withdrawn

Lulumama Fri 30-Sep-11 16:16:09

I can't believe you let your manager down over a hair appt.

the hair dresser was out of order for being so late, but oyu can't prioritise hair over work !

surely your hair could have waited a week??

did the hairdresser grovel??

Shutupanddrive Fri 30-Sep-11 16:27:18

YANBU to be annoyed about her being late
You are BVVU to cancel work for a hair appointment though hmm

KaraStarbuckThrace Fri 30-Sep-11 16:27:55

Sorry to hear about your surgery and hope you have made a good recovery.

YANBU about your hair dresser being late, I would have been pissed off too!
But YABVVVVU and frankly unprofessional to let your boss down for something as petty as a hair do, and I would be very annoyed if I had been your manager.
Even if you look like you have been dragged through a hedge backwards, it won't affect how you do your job. And you could have found another hairdresser at the weekend to just do a basic tidy job until you could rearrange your other hardresser. Perhaps she has childcare issues that prevent her doing weekends?
Good luck with your return to work but if I were you I would tread carefully with your boss on Tuesday, and prepare a grovelling apology!

worraliberty Fri 30-Sep-11 16:29:36

OMG I really don't know why I burst out laughing at the thought of anyone cancelling their work to get their hair done...but I did! blush

YABVVU, not a great work ethic at all.

Icelollycraving Fri 30-Sep-11 16:44:46

If I was your manager I would be v pissed off,it puts your professionalism into question. I seriously hope you didn't explain the real reason!
I think if you asked your hairdresser for a recommendation for someone else,she would have squeezed you in!

ZillionChocolate Fri 30-Sep-11 16:49:11

SWBU turning up so late, without a good excuse and proper contact.

YWBU prioritising a haircut over a meeting that was already arranged. That makes you almost as bad as her.

MurunBuchstansangur Fri 30-Sep-11 16:50:52

Do you have to face customers? That would be the only reason I would think you'd have to get your hair done before going into work, if you genuinely looked a state...

Groovee Fri 30-Sep-11 16:53:58

I think that you should have sent the hairdresser away and gone to work TBF. If I'd cancelled things to fit you in then I would think you were taking the piss. Yes we all need our hair done desperately at times but in this case work would come first.

cjbartlett Fri 30-Sep-11 16:54:57

I agree with the others
Imagine if someone started a thread about an employee who had been off sick for 3 months who said they were coming in so they cancelled appointments to meet
And then the employee rang and cancelled because of a hair cut
Really not on, you could have got your hair done at a salon on saturday

fit2drop Fri 30-Sep-11 16:56:04

You are all right I guess, I suppose I thought that as I am still legitimately on sick leave and didnt HAVE to go in to do work as such, it wasn't the same. The manager certainly was not expecting me in , until I rang her and asked if it would be a good idea,.It was me who asked Manager if it would be ok to go in, not the managaer asking me.
I realise her time is important though and me not turning up was spectacularly not on.

I have just spoken to manager since and she is fine with it and said its no big deal, this afternoon was not a necessary part of my job , just something I had suggested to make my return to work easier.She was trying to accomodate me, which was good of her considering her schedule .

I accept I have wasted managers time and I apologised for it.blush

Yes I am lucky to have a good manager and I realise that.
I am truly shocked at my own vanity and lack of balls because I wanted to have my hair done before my official return to work date.

For those that say I could have gone to the hairdressers just this once, No I couldn't, medical reasons prevent this (one of the reasons I need a mobile hairdresser) as well as my pathalogical fear of them.
Unreasonable yes , but it is what it is.

slavetofilofax Fri 30-Sep-11 16:56:49

Never mind getting a grip, you need to get your priorities straight.

worraliberty Fri 30-Sep-11 16:58:52

You need to get another hairdresser to keep on the side lines just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now