Talk

Advanced search

in making my teenage DS help his aunty move house tonight??

(16 Posts)
idobelieveinfairies Fri 30-Sep-11 13:03:56

DS 16 has had the whollleee summer off, since May infact because of GCSE's...he is now at college til 3 o'clock. After college he wants to go to the beach with his mates as it is a beautiful day and very hot.

He had forgotten he said yes to helping my sister move house tonight with his other 2 brothers and dad. I told him he has to help out, as she is family and hosts BBQ's, get togehers in her garden all summer for us as we don't have a garden.

I can understand he wants to go out with his mates, but he has done all summer..and it is meant to be a stunning weekend in which he can spend both full days at the beach with them.

He is in a right strop now and has gone off to college with a feeble goodbye.

I'm not being unreasonable am i?

aldiwhore Fri 30-Sep-11 13:07:52

Well Summer's been crap her so I'd let him go on condition that he makes himself available first thing in the morning until say 1pm, then he can go to the beach again.

OR let him to go the beach but be at your sister's at sundown to help.

YANBU, but neither is he. There's room for compromise.

PissesGlitter Fri 30-Sep-11 13:11:01

YANBU
if he says he would help then i would make sure he did

as you say he has had all summer with his friends and it will only be a few hours of help
he can hang out with friends tomorrow

idobelieveinfairies Fri 30-Sep-11 13:13:27

I can see what you are saying but they stay at the beach til gone 10 o'clock...he doesn't get out of bed until noon..and she has to vacate her old house by 11am so the new couple can move in. Tomorrow morning is a matter of cleaning the old house...all the moving has to be done today.

DP is also workign until 1pm in the morning..and both other brothers have school footie matches...so all the 'muscle' is needed at the same time.

Tbh..the summer over here has been fine....teenage boys live at the beach regardless here smile

bumpybecky Fri 30-Sep-11 13:14:52

how about he gets all his mates to help too and they get to go to the beach after an hour or so of helping?

aldiwhore Fri 30-Sep-11 13:15:52

Then YABVU for having such nice weather.

In that case, he should help out. Ignore his strops. I have a feeling I'm going to find the teen years really difficult, I'm too damn soft.

idobelieveinfairies Fri 30-Sep-11 13:20:24

Oh my!!!!!that would have been the ideal situation bumpy!!!!! why the frick didn't i think of that!!!??????? Too late now as they all have plans for the beach.......i don't think they would change them for DS auntie now....

AllGoodNamesGone Fri 30-Sep-11 13:22:03

Well, if you were in the UK, I'd say let him go to the beach as he'll only be young once and the current nice weather won't last long.

Since he's got a good chance of nice weather all weekend then, on balance, he should help his Auntie. I'd probably get him to go round straight after college and then let him go to the beach about 7 ish as long as he's worked hard without complaining until then!

cat64 Fri 30-Sep-11 13:24:55

Message withdrawn

bumpybecky Fri 30-Sep-11 13:25:16

I bet they'd change them if you offered a few cans of beer.....

<awaits flaming at suggestion of offering alcohol to under 18s....>

cat64 Fri 30-Sep-11 13:25:45

Message withdrawn

ZillionChocolate Fri 30-Sep-11 13:26:12

I think given that he agreed, he's committed to it and you're right to insist.

PonceyMcPonce Fri 30-Sep-11 13:26:59

Sense of beach entitlement I fear!

Poor aunty

NorksAreMessy Fri 30-Sep-11 13:30:35

envy about beach
envy about finishing at 3pm
envy about being 16
envy about having loads of mates to ahng out with for 7 hours

sad that he does not WANT to help his aunty. I would be upset about his lack of consideration rather than what else he chooses to do with his time.
I am afraid I would have had the 'I am not cross, just disappointed' talk with him before now

idobelieveinfairies Fri 30-Sep-11 13:33:43

i do think he feels torn tbh!!! He is usually helpful and considerate....i think he generally forgot about the moving so he has to get adjusted to the idea that today isn't a beach day!

TBH i am suprised any of them are going to the beach as it is FIFA 12 day!!!! They must be quite sensible to be enjoying the weather while it lasts.

SecretSquirrels Fri 30-Sep-11 13:33:47

"teenage boys live at the beach regardless here"

Sounds idyllic. Wish my teenage boys and their friends could do that.envy

<I always wanted to live near a beach>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now