Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think that Waverley Council ^shouldn't^ be charging

(206 Posts)
CardyMow Fri 30-Sep-11 07:57:07

Blue Badge holders to use a disabled parking space??!! Apparently they will get a concession of getting one hour extra for their money. Are Waverley council Tory by any chance??!! AIBU to think that this is well out of order?

IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Fri 30-Sep-11 08:02:36

Does everyone else have to pay for parking too? If so YABU, if not YANBU.

Catslikehats Fri 30-Sep-11 08:02:38

I prepare to be flamed but why shouldn't disabled drivers pay for their parking?

I have never understood it.

See, the problem is that most people think that disabled spaces are all about the extra space required (sometimes and depending on the disability) or about the reduced distance to the facility.

And if that was all it was, then yes, charging for those spaces would be fair. After all, all you need is for them to be close to the facility and have space.

But that is only part of it.

The other part of it is ensuring equality of opportunity.

Opportunity - To Go To Town
Not disabled? - walk, bus, take car and use park and ride, take car and park in free parking at edge of town and walk into town.
disabled with a blue badge (as in having a disability that meets the blue badge mobility criteria) - the above options are very probably not available to you or at least not without a tremendous struggle.

So in order for you to have the same opportunity (going to Town) there must be an inequality (free parking) to reflect the need and the lack of choice.

x-post

People without disabilities have choices that people who have mobility problems severe enough to qualify for a blue badge do not have.

If you have free parking for blue badge holders you are acknowledging their lack of choice.

CardyMow Fri 30-Sep-11 08:08:15

Exactly Hec. I am just shock at this. If you are disabled enough for a blue badge - then you can't park further away and walk in, or walk from home.

If you make blue badge holders pay then you are making them pay for having a disability that means they have no choice but to use the parking.

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 30-Sep-11 08:08:58

Queen of Denial

You really can't think why blue badge holders shouldn't pay for their parking ?

I know, Hunty. I think people just don't understand that it is about lack of choice. If you have massive mobility problems you just can't walk into town from the free parking! or walk from home. or walk to a bus stop. Or wheel yourself into town etc etc. So you HAVE to use the car and park in what are the premium centre of town / front of the shops spots.

Other people have a choice and it is right that they pay if they decide they want to park in premium, close, spots.

If you are disabled, that isn't a choice you are making - it is a necessity and you shouldn't have to pay for it.

- this is something I feel very strongly about, can you tell? grin

Catslikehats Fri 30-Sep-11 08:30:17

I take on board the point about lack of choices and will be honest it is not something I had considered so you have enlightened me but having said that those lack of choices apply to many sectors of society.

My elderly grandmother would not be able to walk into town; the mum at school with 3 DC's under 3 would not be able to walk into town. Both of those people would also struggle on the bus (if there even was one in the semi rural location that I am thinking of).

I can see how the issue of "premium parking" is problematic but most don't most councils outside of London operate a fairly fixed price parking policy that is not dependent on location? I am prepared to be told that I am wrong but for example where I live parking costs £1.20 an hour in all council run carparks.

Andrewofgg Fri 30-Sep-11 08:31:15

Hecate We'd never have guessed.

Whatever the theoretics of this, charging a BB holder for parking is wrong, wrong, wrong.

NinkyNonker Fri 30-Sep-11 08:35:05

Very wrong. I'd love to hear rationale otherwise.

aldiwhore Fri 30-Sep-11 08:36:17

So long as the council make it easy for disabled people to pay then I think its fair, and as long as the parking isn't extortionate like it is here (cost me £15 the other week!!) then its right a fair that parking should be charged to all.

I agree that true equal opportunity requires some inequality. That is found in the very fact that a blue badge holder has spaces available close to the city centre, wider spaces etc., rather than further out of town. The COST is irrelevent, many people struggle financially, both abled and disabled.

To treat the disabled with respect, is to treat them, sometimes in some ways, as the same as everyone else. So apart from the convenient spaces (which is absolutely correct) there is no reason why they should be free.

CardyMow Fri 30-Sep-11 08:40:01

I personally don't have mobility problems (my issues are different), but this is just awful. And tbh - why can't someone with 3 dc under 3yo catch the bus? I blooming used to - ok my dc weren't all under 3yo - but my 5.5yo had mobility problems, and my other two were 18mo and newborn, and I did 4 x 1hr bus journeys a day.

Really?

ok. So let's say that you want to do something.

In order for you to do it, you HAVE to pay.

Someone else can choose to do the same thing but they can do it in a way that means that they don't have to pay.

You, otoh, don't have that choice and your choices are pay - or don't do it.

They get to choose pay and do it or don't pay and still do it.

You can't see?

CardyMow Fri 30-Sep-11 08:43:01

aldiwhore - I disagree. The able-bodied person could CHOOSE to walk to the town centre. The able-bodied person could CHOOSE to park their car further afield in a free car park and walk into the town centre. Both of which are free. The blue badge holder has neither of these options. Therefore blue badge parking should be free.

CardyMow Fri 30-Sep-11 08:43:27

x-post, Hec.

grin How to make people understand that it is the lack of choice in the matter, eh?

By making someone who has no CHOICE pay, you are not treating them the same as everyone else. you are taking advantage of people whose options are use the parking that they have to pay for or stay at home. and ignoring the fact that the others have a variety of choices that they simply don't have.

CardyMow Fri 30-Sep-11 08:49:49

I heard about this on my local news this morning, and me and DD both sat there with a shock face. Still wondering if Waverley Council is Tory-run?

Catslikehats Fri 30-Sep-11 08:50:17

As I said in my last post there isn't actually a bus our location but that aside I would think that it would be an enormous struggle to get three under three's on a bus, possibly dare I say more of a struggle than for some blue badge holders.

Hecate there are numerous things in life which people have to pay for that others don't, depending on oportunities, talents, skills, location etc etc.

I would imagine their are numerous people who couldn't afford the bus fare or parking fees into town and the distance is just too far to reasonably walk so they don't do it.

We will have to agree to disagree, Queen. I think that free parking is a small enough thing to do to assist someone with a serious disability to have some semblence of an independent life. And it can make the difference between leaving the house or not.

There are other circumstances when someone might, from time to time, find themselves in a tricky situation. These are rarely 'whole life' situations.

NinkyNonker Fri 30-Sep-11 08:58:14

I also think that ability to earn comes into it. My parents are financially comfortable, however if they weren't this could be an issue. My mother can't work because if her disability and hasn't been able to since becoming disabled. As such she has no earning potential and any benefits that some may be able claim don't go far.

Faithless12 Fri 30-Sep-11 08:58:27

I disagree and my view maybe skewed due to living in a town where there isn't any free parking unless you want to park in the next town and walk along the motorway.

Disabled people DO have a choice, there is the bus. My uncle gets a taxi as he had to give up his driving license due to age and illness and no one near him drives or is available during the day. If he can get on with it I'm in no doubt most other disabled people can.

borderslass Fri 30-Sep-11 08:59:13

In lots of areas of Northumberland there's no disabled parking all car-parks are private and everyone pays. Was quite shock when I realised.

NinkyNonker Fri 30-Sep-11 09:00:30

My mother certainly would struggle with the bus, were there to be one than ran near them. hmm And how would she then carry the resultant shopping or whathaveyou?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now