Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

It's silly but I'm a bit frightened

(23 Posts)
GodKeepsGiving Thu 29-Sep-11 22:12:08

My house has always been a bit strange. It was originally built as a shop and I have never liked the upstairs landing. I put DS3 to bed tonight and it was going dark and the light switch is round the corner, after going up a few steps. I have a porcelain doll that is on a bookcase next to the switch and for some reason I didn't want to go near it, it seemed hostile somehow - bizarre I know. Anyway, I turned on the switch although there are three light bulbs, only one came on and flickered off again. I thought the bulbs had gone and popped to the loo. As a force of habit, I switched the light back on when I left the bathroom and this time all three lights started to flash and the dolls face seemed to be glaring at me. The bulbs are all working fine now. Tell me I'm overtired and irrational. Please.

bluelaguna Thu 29-Sep-11 22:13:53

Get rid of the doll if it worries you. More than likely irrational, but if you don't like something in your home, chuck it out.

BatsUpMeNightie Thu 29-Sep-11 22:13:59

I'm not sure what you want to hear but if I were you a nice cup of tea and then put the evil doll in the back garden where it can't see you!

worraliberty Thu 29-Sep-11 22:14:26

Bin the doll, they're horrid things anyway.

ElectricSoftParade Thu 29-Sep-11 22:16:52

At the best of times I find those dolls quite unsettling. Agree with Bats put it outside, at least for tonight. Hope you are more relaxed very soon.

Tinkerisdead Thu 29-Sep-11 22:17:20

Ooo there was a spooky thread not long ago and dolls cropped up loads. Im sure its expat who point blank wont have dolls in the house because of spooky things surrounding them.

GodKeepsGiving Thu 29-Sep-11 22:17:35

Thanks everyone. I have loads of them - this particular one was a gift from my MIL, she actually bought me two identical ones. I'll get a bin. Thanks everyone.

hiddenhome Thu 29-Sep-11 22:17:38

You've been watching too many Chucky movies grin

Just stick the doll in a drawer or the bin if it bothers you. Dolls are pretty creepy at the best of times.

solidgoldbrass Thu 29-Sep-11 22:19:19

Don't tell her to put it outside, it will be back in the morning...
OP, there is no such thing as ghosts, spooks or spectres. Or haunted dolls. Have a nice cup of tea and watch something really brainless on the telly. If you are religious, say a prayer to yourself, it's comforting and harmless.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 29-Sep-11 22:20:11

I always think people with decorative dolls must have dubious taste like freaking themselves out. Doll eyes ooze malignance. Chuck it out.

blackeyedsusan Thu 29-Sep-11 22:20:39

it is probably one of those things, but if you don't like the doll, get rid of it. it is more likely that you were scared by the sudden lack of light and the doll was just there. things look weird in the wrong light.

i was scared of the turn at the end of the very long upstairs landing at one lodgings where the light from the one bulb did not seem to penetrate the darkness effectively. nothing to do with anything other than being scared of the dark and not being able to see round the corner in an unfamiliar house.

buzzskillington Thu 29-Sep-11 22:20:46

I think the doll is trying to tell you you have a loose connection.

GodKeepsGiving Thu 29-Sep-11 22:21:31

I am very religious, but I just felt caught off guard. It's going anyway, along with the others. Spooky or not, I don't like feeling uncomfortable. Life's tough enough.

GodKeepsGiving Thu 29-Sep-11 22:23:33

Thanks buzzskillington, you may well be right!

Tinkerisdead Thu 29-Sep-11 22:23:34

Heres the last thread i cant link on my phone but expat is renowned for her experiences and she had some tales to tell.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1239819-To-ask-if-anyone-has-had-any-paranormal-encounters-experiences

Hopefully someone can convert to a link

GodKeepsGiving Thu 29-Sep-11 22:25:55

Thanks DoctorsWife, I'll read those tomorrow after a good sleep in my doll free home.

thunderchild Thu 29-Sep-11 22:31:37

dolls, unless deployed by small children in play, are creepy anyway. And clowns..what the F*&K are they about?

But theres often a rational explanation for creepy experiences in houses, such as drafts or dodgy electrics.

Get rid of the doll and have a good shufti about.

GodKeepsGiving Thu 29-Sep-11 22:38:54

Thanks all - they've all gone and I'm having a cup of tea. Feel better now, but it was odd. Tomorrow is a new day, goodnight all.

Cloudbase Thu 29-Sep-11 22:39:11

Bin the doll, leave the lights on, stick the telly on (nice rational 21st century noise!) and tomorrow, change the bulbs. If you think this might 'stay' with you, get the wiring checked. My grandma's house was old and victorian and had lots of staircases, and corners and corridors and I used to be really scared when I went to bed upstairs, but could never exactly explain why. Even now, I sometimes have bad dreams about her house. Please don't feel as though you are being silly, the most important thing is that you feel comfortable in your own home.

Jaquelinehyde Thu 29-Sep-11 22:39:35

converted linky

Get rid of the doll. If you keep it you will probably be scaring yourself with it every time you lay eyes on it.

I've managed to scare myself before. I once got rid of a painting because I'd convinced myself that owning it was unlucky. I was going through a very bad time, and I felt a bit better to have something to focus on and get rid of. Painting probably didn't have anything to do with it, but I felt superstitious anyway. I felt better when the painting was gone.

notlettingthefearshow Thu 29-Sep-11 22:46:13

OMG I'm going to have nightmares just after reading that!

Get rid! Get rid!

Salmotrutta Thu 29-Sep-11 22:47:06

All dolls are creepy.
All dolls look like they are "glaring" in the right light (or lack of)
Haunted dolls are rife in Ghost Stories.

Your mind jumped ahead and made an association.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now