Talk

Advanced search

To think that Gillian Mckieth has a point?

(98 Posts)
toptramp Thu 29-Sep-11 17:55:37

I don't get why she is so universally vilified (aside from her jungle antics.) Ok the poo thing is a bit much and she is too skinny which isn't the best advert BUT I think she does those morbidly obese people good on You are what you eat. It is definately better to be on the thin side than morbidly obese.

When you see their diets laid out on the table and there is NO fruit and veg but tons of greasy fast food, I think she does them a great service telling them to sort their diets out. It could greatly reduce their chances of disease and even death.

I think she is vilified because people don't like to be lectured or rather they don't want to face up to or change their crap lifestyles.

I have started thinking about this recently as mum recently died of cancer so I am taking an avid interest in health and fitness and I do think that there is some sense in the notion that you are what you eat.

toptramp Thu 29-Sep-11 17:56:13

I am not a raving fan either but I do think sometimes people need tough love and stern words in order to change.

Madlizzy Thu 29-Sep-11 17:56:43

I think she's vilified more because she called herself Dr when she's not medically trained.

NorksAreMessy Thu 29-Sep-11 17:58:36

she is a loon and a fraud.

Just read Dr (properly acquired by studying for it, at a recognised University) Ben Goldacre on the subject. He gets quite heated

CristinadellaPizza Thu 29-Sep-11 17:59:03

I don't know about anyone else but I think she's as big a piece of poo as some of the ones she examines in her programmes because she has no medical qualifications whatsoever and so should not call herself a doctor, and also sells a load of rubbish claiming it will improve your sex drive or whatever. She's a modern day snake oil salesperson.

I'm sorry about your mum btw

amothersplaceisinthewrong Thu 29-Sep-11 17:59:10

I agree Madlizzy, she is passing herself off as something she is not, which very often riles people.

Of course, she is right to point out the wrongs in the diets of the morbidly obelse, but she is very patronizing and judgemental, not what she is saying but the way she is saying it...

SecretNutellaFix Thu 29-Sep-11 18:00:02

She's vilified because she claimed to hold qualifications she did not. She's a liar and a loon.

MardyBra Thu 29-Sep-11 18:00:36

She's also vilified because she is RUDE. There is a difference between giving support/tough love and ridiculing overweight people, which is what they used to do on her programme.

MartyrStewart Thu 29-Sep-11 18:00:41

I agree with all of the above, although it does make me grin that the 'before' table in her program always looks like the Iceland adverts.

GoogleBun Thu 29-Sep-11 18:00:49

What Madlizzy said. I think it was all going ok for her till she was exposed as a quack.

I remember seeing this once which sums her up nicely:

"If you are what you eat, Gillian McKeith ate Gollum".

TheRhubarb Thu 29-Sep-11 18:02:22

There is a certain look of pride on some of those faces when their weekly diet is laid out on the table.

Anyway she ain't saying anything new. It's a well known fact that if you eat lots and lots and don't exercise you will put on weight. No little pill will cure that. She just says it in an extravagant way for the TV, making herself out to be a bona fida doctor and selling shit seed bars that she made from boxes of Trill.

chicletteeth Thu 29-Sep-11 18:02:53

She is neither a medic, nor does she have a PhD.
She is a total liar and she puts people on exlclusion diets, which whilst containing a lot of good things, are also missing a lot of good things too.

She is also very patronising and rude to her "patients"

MadameCastafiore Thu 29-Sep-11 18:03:10

She has a pointy nose but other thanthat no point at all IMO.

I could make these people lose weight and I don't have nutritional qualifications but just have common sense.

LineRunner Thu 29-Sep-11 18:03:13

Gillian McKeith may have a point, but she doesn't have a PhD. smile

Actually, she doesn't have a point either.

LineRunner Thu 29-Sep-11 18:04:08

Googlebun grin

chicletteeth Thu 29-Sep-11 18:06:14

Ha ha google

MartyrStewart Thu 29-Sep-11 18:06:50

It's also interesting to note that Gillian is the same age as Nigella. So it seems it's true that at some point you do have to choose between your arse and your face.

minipie Thu 29-Sep-11 18:07:15

She does have some good points (junk food is bad for you). But the problem is, she loses credibility for those good points by the bad points she makes (incl calling herself Dr) and by her miserable attitude.

Surely they could have found someone who was a real doctor, and who was friendly and nice, to make the same points about junk food being bad for you.

Oh but then it wouldn't have made such interesting TV, would it hmm

MadameCastafiore Thu 29-Sep-11 18:07:42

Hand me the cake Marty.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 29-Sep-11 18:08:02

As well as being a fraud she's a bully. The programme wasn't informative, it was just another Channel 4 freakshow.

KatieMiddleton Thu 29-Sep-11 18:10:21

She is a purveyor of snake oil and a charlatan.

Sorry about your Mum OP sad I can understand you wanting to take preventive steps but Gillian McKeith does not have the answers. You'd be better to look to what proper medical researchers and academics have to say about factors that increase/decrease the likelihood of developing cancer.

I think it can also be helpful to know that many cancers are just down to pure bad luck or environmental factors beyond the suffer's control with the exception of carcinogens which can be controlled.

Pakdooik Thu 29-Sep-11 18:10:28

She's a fraud - end of story

Itsjustafleshwound Thu 29-Sep-11 18:10:49

I am sorry to hear about your mum - cancer isn't a disease that can be pinned down to any particular thing, but is a mixture of a whole lot of lifestyle and genetic elements.

I just don't like Gillian McKeith for her hectoring and lying <<like others have said>>

I just think there are many ways to do things and she chooses a way that I know will not work for many

KatieMiddleton Thu 29-Sep-11 18:10:53

or genetic factors which can't be controlled I meant to include.

faverolles Thu 29-Sep-11 18:13:25

I can't stand the woman. She makes me shudder.
Martyr - from where I'm standing, "Dr" McKeith got neither the arse or the face, so not quite sure what went wrong there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now