Talk

Advanced search

to give the horses over the road a bucket of water?

(32 Posts)
ZeldaUpNorth Thu 29-Sep-11 15:22:42

Over the road to me there used to be houses, but the were knocked down a few years back and now some people keep their horses on the grass there (not sure if the housing association allow it or not)

Anyway today has been really hot and they have seemed really unsettled and i noticed one of them hasn't got a water bucket (whether its been blew away or nicked i don't know) So i sent my brother over with a bucket of water (then another) which it drank straight down. (dd gave it a few carrots too)

I'm hoping the owners dont mind, but surely they should be checking on them at last daily to make sure they have water esp when its so hot. My brother's going to check the others' bucket to see if there's any in there in a bit.

HerHissyness Thu 29-Sep-11 15:23:45

good idea! they wouldn't drink it if they didn't want to...

you can lead a horse to water and all that... grin

GlitterySkulls Thu 29-Sep-11 15:25:08

yanbu at all- the owners, on the other hand, are out of order, the poor thing should be regularly checked sad

zingzillachinchilla Thu 29-Sep-11 15:26:38

Well done you! Shocked that the owners haven't been round to do this but those horses will thank you for it.

eaglewings Thu 29-Sep-11 15:28:31

No water in this heat is serious. Would you consider calling the RSPCA as they can monitor the situation or give you advice.

ZeldaUpNorth Thu 29-Sep-11 15:28:54

I am a big worrier and am thinking maybe there's a reason why they have given the other a bucket but not that one, like when my cat goes for operations she is not allowed to eat or drink.

I used to see them at least twice a day tending to them but i think the novelty wore off sad (or i just don't see them)

Nixea Thu 29-Sep-11 15:28:57

Good for you for giving water! It's a lovely move that no sane horse owner would ever complain about, or indeed be anything but shockingly grateful!

Just be a little careful about feeding them. It sounds like something you could only make up but one of mine have a fairly severe allergy to carrots. I seem to always end up with the "problem" ones! smile

worraliberty Thu 29-Sep-11 15:33:42

Did he check to see there was water in the other buckets?

You say one of them didn't have a bucket...but surely a thirsty horse would just drink from the others?

ZeldaUpNorth Thu 29-Sep-11 15:37:21

They are not close enough to drink each others (they are tethered-if thats the right word) He has gone to pick dd1 up for me and he's checking on the way back.

Can you raise concerns on the rspca website? (i'll look in a bit cooking tea-or dinner if you're down south wink) If the owners are nowhere to be seen by tomorrow i may report??

Shutupanddrive Thu 29-Sep-11 15:38:00

Surely they don't have a bucket each though? They either have water or they don't? I don't think they care which bucket they drink out of!
YANBU for giving them water though on a hot day so well done smile

Shutupanddrive Thu 29-Sep-11 15:39:12

Sorry x-post! Yes tethered is the right word! Maybe one knocked it's water over so YANBU either way

eaglewings Thu 29-Sep-11 15:51:53

You can use the web site or phone

0300 1234 999

The website says that tethered horses should be checked every 6 hours, have access to water and food and be let off the tether for exercise every day (among other things)

gailforce1 Thu 29-Sep-11 15:52:29

Horses should be checked twice a day and never left without water unless under the care of a vet. I thought that tethering had been made illegal! Terrible way to keep horses which, in the wild, would cover a vast amount of ground whilst grazing.
please report to RSPCA or World Horse Welfare (used to be International League for the Protection of Horses), sorry dont have IT skills to link.

Thank you for caring about them.

eaglewings Thu 29-Sep-11 16:08:14

Sadly not gailforce, it can still happen. The RSPCA make it plain they don't like it but give a very long list of what is necessary to make it Just About OK

loudee Thu 29-Sep-11 16:42:37

Please call the RSCPA, to leave any animal without water is awful. Thank goodness you were able to help them today. The owners need a kick up the arse from RSPCA

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Thu 29-Sep-11 16:47:30

Ok. YANBU. But, you need to take into consideration the overall condition of the horses. If they look happy, are well covered without sticking out bones, and nice feet, then one has just lost its bucket. Or are they thin? Do they have long hooves? Are they swimming in poo, on nearly bare ground! If they are, they are being neglected.
This will sound awful, but I they look neglected, you need to leave them, and contact Redwings, and/or The RSPCA. I have been involved in a horse welfare situation recently, and the welfare societies can respond more quickly if the animals have no food or water, and are in bad condition. Feeding and watering will, in the long term, prolong suffering.

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Thu 29-Sep-11 16:49:58

If you have any doubts, contact the RSPCA immediately. You can do it anonymously, and they will investigate. Better to be wrong, than to have done nothing. The same with the other societies.

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Thu 29-Sep-11 16:55:49

P.S. Tethering, in certain circumstances is fine. If you are onsite, and they have food and water and are exercised regularly, there is not a problem.
Tying a horse to the floor at the side if the road is not ok.

ZeldaUpNorth Thu 29-Sep-11 18:27:38

Yeah, thats what they are tied to a bit of grass where houses used to be, near a road. They seem well looked after (but tbh i dont know what im looking for) They are changing places on the grass every other day or so, so someone must be seeing to them. I may send rspca an annonomous email/message tomorrow is no water bucket appears (it may of been nicked, this isn't the best neighbourhood) Thanks for the replies.

catgirl1976 Thu 29-Sep-11 18:29:49

YANBU - PLEASE ring the RSPCA. Tethering is not ideal and horses need a lot of grass if this is their main food source. Water is obvioulsy essential. One bucket a day on a hot day is nowhere near enough

maddy68 Thu 29-Sep-11 18:43:54

it may have had colic or recieved a sedative in which case it is dangerous to be given water. If the others have water I would imagine that it hasnt been given water for a reason. One of my horses cannot be given carrots either, please dont ever feed horses anything.
If it is changing patch regularly then it is being looked after

Tchootnika Thu 29-Sep-11 20:41:46

maddy has a point - there may be a good reason why this horse had no water...
BUT - were the horses in shade? Are they checked regularly?
If you're in any doubt at all then please call the RSPCA. What you've described sounds quite worrying.

TurkeyBurgerThing Thu 29-Sep-11 21:12:17

The RSPCA won't do anything because you are giving the horses water, and they see that as it being cared for. However if the horses look like a toast rack and are in a terrible state of neglect then they will act.

Try the WHW (World Horse Welfare). They're a lot better and actually know what they're doing.

MissVerinder Thu 29-Sep-11 21:27:03

That sounds a very familiar set up with the horses; there are 2 near DD's school- I am also up North!

Do we need to get some Mumsnet badges?!?!?

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Thu 29-Sep-11 21:38:43

TBN I dont think there is any reason that a tethered horse in full sun should be without water. They dehydrate very fast. If it had colic or a sedative there would probably be an owner present. it's not that the RSPCA is useless as such, it's just that every welfare centre is full to bursting. I was talking to someone who volunteers for Redwings, apparently they have facilities for 35 equines, it currently has 70! they have to prioritise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now