Talk

Advanced search

To leave a forum for a grammatical reason and not just because its crap!

(28 Posts)
elisadoeslittle Thu 29-Sep-11 10:53:57

Im in a mums forum where they post online about various things. Like MN but local. The main crap items this week have been :

* Walkers are dangerous. Better to leave child strapped in highchair with toys.
* Whole grapes are fine because you can practice not choking at 10 months old. Better to be there when they choke, than remove the danger altogether.
* New members have put up links to really good free offers etc and no one has mentioned a thing, while old members have put up a pic of a second hand primark dress or information about a marrow festival and gotten over 30 replies!

Anyway, despite all that, Im leaving because they don't know the difference between His and He's. AIBU??? wink

AuntieMonica Thu 29-Sep-11 10:56:47

yes, YABU because you've missed a few vital apostrophes of your OP.

worraliberty Thu 29-Sep-11 10:57:42

Why don't you tell them all this or do you think they won't be bothered?

savoycabbage Thu 29-Sep-11 10:58:50

Who is Im? wink

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 29-Sep-11 11:00:35

YABU... it's crap. First rule of ranting about grammatical errors..... make sure your post doesn't have any.

Proudnscary Thu 29-Sep-11 11:00:50

This is a joke, right?

AuntieMonica Thu 29-Sep-11 11:01:23

i thinks shes serious grin

Deflatedballoonbelly Thu 29-Sep-11 11:03:04

Crikey! At you, OP. Not them.

valiumredhead Thu 29-Sep-11 11:07:20

YABU... it's crap. First rule of ranting about grammatical errors..... make sure your post doesn't have any

Exactly!

GrimmaTheNome Thu 29-Sep-11 11:12:39

YANBU. You should certainly ditch that forum, and stay with MN where you can be sure that as well as rich and varied discussions, your grammar will improve whereas if you stay there you will descend into bad habits. Its not too late, so long as you are willing accept carping constructive criticism. grin

minimisschief Thu 29-Sep-11 12:44:46

lmao ^

MissVerinder Thu 29-Sep-11 13:12:42

You should of just pointed there mistakes out to them.

babybarrister Thu 29-Sep-11 13:12:55

very droll grin

GrimmaTheNome Thu 29-Sep-11 13:14:43

>You should of just pointed there mistakes out to them.

Thus: You should have just pointed out their mistakes to them.

Whole grapes are fine because you can practice not choking at 10 months old. Better to be there when they choke, than remove the danger altogether.

Not heard of baby led weaning then op? I'd better tell my 10.5 month old to stop chomping away merrily on whole grapes.....

wildhairrunning Thu 29-Sep-11 13:56:10

Erm... vallium you are not one to talk about grammatical errors when you don't understand the 'points of elipsis' rule of only three dots...

And from what I have seen, hardly anyone on here gets this rule! Sooooo annoying

And auntiemonica off not of...

meditrina Thu 29-Sep-11 13:56:11

And baby walkers are dangerous. They're banned in Canada.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 29-Sep-11 14:05:59

Wildhair: Valium was only quoting, blame Cogito. Perhaps if you're going to cavil at an over-long ellipsis, you should ensure that you remember not to leave the end of a sentence devoid of any punctuation?

We could keep this thread running a long time if we make sure no error goes uncorrected!

RhinoKey Thu 29-Sep-11 14:09:29

Does anyone actually care about this shit?

WilsonFrickett Thu 29-Sep-11 14:10:20

Try 'I'm a mum in a mums' forum' before we have a chat about grammar OP. hmm

chill1243 Thu 29-Sep-11 14:10:45

I think the good part about Mumsnet is that it tolerates all sorts. It would be daft to need a degree in English to post on a message site.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 29-Sep-11 14:15:34

>I think the good part about Mumsnet is that it tolerates all sorts.

Yes, indeed, including pedants. grin

meditrina Thu 29-Sep-11 14:18:40

Yes, but pedants should stay in their corner...

chill1243 Thu 29-Sep-11 14:18:48

Grimma you have the freedom to wear a pendant if you wish. So long as you are not playing football under FA rules.

ExitPursuedByaBear Thu 29-Sep-11 14:18:51

Could you provide a link to the marrow festival please.

Thanks

(gotten - ffs)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now