Talk

Advanced search

More a WWYD regarding trapped cat, help needed

(24 Posts)
Zacsbird Wed 28-Sep-11 23:48:24

Hi

This is my first post so please be kind, really just posting here to get the most traffic.

My cat went missing last night, he was nowhere to be seen this morning either which is very unusual.

He has however gone missing once before, 6 months ago, after 3 days me and my youngest DD went calling him and heard him in a neighbours garage. They were out at the time but eventually came back later that night and he was returned to us safe and sound.

So tonight after getting home from work there was still no sign of the cat, so me and the DD went calling him again, really couldn't belive it when we heard him crying from the same garage!

I was mortified that he had done the same thing again, particualarly as they have an aviary in the garden so assumed they would be really anti cats.
Anyway the lady let me and DD in the garage to try and get him out but he refused to come down at all, we were there for over an hour, tried food, tried calling him but nothing.

However during this time the lady who owns the house tells me that her hubby has terminal cancer and only has 2 wks to live, I was obviously symapathetic but good god I didn't know what to do.

I left the cat in the garage in the end and after about 20 mins both DD's went along to try again. They were told to go back tomorrow.

I am really at a loss at what to do, the youngest has been realy upset that she can't have her cat back, and said the lady seemed angry when she went back tonight. I really don't want to hassle somone at such an awful time, but again can't leave a cat to possibly die if he can't get down from the garage roof.

Any suggestions ladies?

HenriettaFarthingay Wed 28-Sep-11 23:50:40

Zacsbird in my experience, if they have a way out, cats will get themselves out of trouble when nobody's looking. If the garage door is now open enough that he can get out of the garage, you'll probably find him at your back door in the morning piteously looking for some food.

squeakytoy Wed 28-Sep-11 23:54:12

How big is the garage???

If you leave some food on the floor, and water, he will come down, thats for sure, he wont be stuck.

WilsonFrickett Wed 28-Sep-11 23:54:48

He's not going to die overnight so the first thing to do is stop worrying. Is he stuck or just up on a roof - your OP wasn't clear?

If he's still there in the morning then a wee note through the door to say ' I'm really sorry to disturb you again, my cat is still on the roof, I will attempt to get him down with some ladders today, please don't be alarmed if you see me/DD/DP in your part of the garden but obviously I wouldn't dream of disturbing you again at such a difficult time. Also, can I do anything to help you?' Should do the trick, ie sort it out yourself with a little bit of trespass....

Zacsbird Wed 28-Sep-11 23:55:52

But the garage door isn't open, when the lady went to bed it got shut, she actually refused to re-open it for th DD's when they went round second time as she was off to bed then.

squeakytoy Wed 28-Sep-11 23:59:10

He will be fine for one night, he would probably be fine for quite a few days (but I very very much doubt you will get as far as worrying about that), as he will get hungry and come out of his own accord.

How did he get in? Is there a small gap somewhere that he has sneaked through? If so, then he will sneak back out again.

Zacsbird Wed 28-Sep-11 23:59:10

Sorry, he is actually inside the garage but in the rafters, not mega high and obviously he got up so should come down. It's more the issue of disturbing someone who had a lot on, I'm also in work tomorrow so hoping he will be out by the time I get home.

Zacsbird Thu 29-Sep-11 00:00:42

Haven't got a clue how he got in, assuming somebody left th garage door open.

Birdsgottafly Thu 29-Sep-11 00:01:32

The cat will be fine.

My kitten gave me the fright of my life when she got stuck up a fully grown pine tree, i had my boyfriend climb it, for the kitten to leg it down the other side and back to my house.

Perhaps go round tomorrow with chocolates or flowers and say how sorry you are?

Don't send the children, it is an emotional time for the couple, for all you know the children might knock and the husband has passed away.

kelly2000 Thu 29-Sep-11 00:02:26

If I only had two weeks with my husband would probably rather not be spending the time with the neighbours trying to get their cat so try not to keep going around to get the cat.
Leave some food for the cat, and let it find its own way out. As last resort I suggest a ladder, and a pair of gardening gloves and a sack and going up their and grabbing the cat whilst accepting you may get scratched to pieces.

I would also ask your neighbour if she needs anything - shopping doing etc. Perhaps drop a note in asking about the shopping etc, and apologizing for the cat rather than going around in person again as she might want to be left with her husband.

WilsonFrickett Thu 29-Sep-11 00:04:37

Sorry, just reread my post - when I said 'he isn't going to die overnight' I meant the cat, not the person. Of course.

squeakytoy Thu 29-Sep-11 00:09:37

I agree with Kelly. And if the lady seems stressed, it is perfectly understandable too.. a stuck cat is probably the last thing she wants to worry about, and she is most likely very sleep deprived at the momnt as well.

I think a note through the door, with your mobile number, and offering her some support with an errand or anything could be a lovely gesture too.

But please dont worry about the cat, he will be fine, they are very resiliant creatures!.

Zacsbird Thu 29-Sep-11 00:09:58

TBh I only sent the DD's tonight because the eldest is 5 inches taller than me and thought she might have more luck getting him down! Plus I'm scared of heights so wasn't much use up the ladder either.

Zacsbird Thu 29-Sep-11 00:20:12

I appreciate your comments but trust me if I could've grabbed him I would have, he wouldn't scratch me, just could'nt reach him. I am really aware that this is the last thing she needs at the moment, I feel trully awful that this has happend, but really want him out so I know that I don't have to bother her. Not really sure she needs practical help, sadly only in her late 40's early 50's and plenty of family around.

WilsonFrickett Thu 29-Sep-11 00:22:40

No-ones giving you a hard time OP, how could you have known the situation? But offering a bit of help will go a long way even if she doesn't take you up on it she will never forget it. Which might be helpful the next time the cat goes for a wander, no?

squeakytoy Thu 29-Sep-11 00:26:40

Take an old duvet for him to land on, get a broom and poke him off.. seriously, cats can jump quite well! he wont hurt himself! smile

It will save a lot of pussyfooting around. ... scuse the pun grin

Zacsbird Thu 29-Sep-11 00:39:22

I'm not sure Wilson, I really get where you are coming from but tbh she wasn't the friendliest last time before her hubby got ill. Tonight when we were at the gate, before we even attempted to open it she hammered at the window like you would at kids about to come in IYSWIM even though it was obvious one of us was an adult?

I'll see how it goes tomorrow, would be happy to offer just think it might be taken in he wrong way, not sure I would trust some random stranger offering help if I'd only met them once before due to their wandering cat.

squeakytoy Thu 29-Sep-11 00:43:17

Its very likely that 6 months ago when this first happened, her husband was seriously ill already. I really wouldnt take it personally. My mum was in a state when my dad was in his final days, she was barely eating or sleeping herself, and the smallest things would push her temper to the edge without her being able to rationalise things.

I doubt she would take the offer the wrong way. She is probably just shell shocked at the moment. early 50's is so young to lose your husband. sad

kelly2000 Thu 29-Sep-11 00:50:11

Not your fault OP, you were not to know. But i think you should leave it the cat will come down when it is hungry. It is difficult for a cat to hurt itself jumping from heights, their skeletons are designed to absorb shock.
Even if she has family around a nice note through the door thanking her, saying sorry, and asking if she needs errands as a way of thanks will be a nice gesture. You might also want to make it clear that you will of course clean up any mess your cat has made.
I woud stick to plain paper and envelope rather than a card, in case it seems like a pre-emptive sympathy card.
It might also be that her husband has had cancer for years, but only recently did it become so severe Some people can live with cancer for years. I can imagien it would wear you down.

complexnumber Thu 29-Sep-11 01:52:49

Hmm, you know I have never seen a cat die of starvation after being stuck in a tree.

Leave the poor family alone.

garlicnutty Thu 29-Sep-11 02:20:30

I know you're worried about your pussy, OP (blush) but, honestly, a cat that got in will get out again. I've had cats for 25 years, they've been stuck under floors, locked in cars and gone missing for a week, the whole bit. They're extremely resourceful.

The couple next door are going through hell and I agree, an offer of assistance will go a long way, even if they don't take it up. Ask if she wants any shopping done, or help with the garden - stuff you wouldn't have time to do in her position, but would still worry about.

If the cat is trapped, the cat will start yowling very loudly and persistently when the cat wants out grin

MsWetherwax Thu 29-Sep-11 22:21:05

I wouldn't worry too much, in his younger days my cat once spent 4 days up a big old chestnut tree. A dog scared him up it and everytime anyone tried to get up to him with a ladder he just climbed higher. He eventually got down to the lowest branch by himself and the BT engineer fixing my broadband got him down the last 15ft or so with his ladders. He was fine, just very hungry and affectionate for a few days. (BT engineer is now DH so it was a good thing in the end.

As for your neighbours, I think they have a bit too much on their plate to worry about a cat, but have to agree with the other posters, maybe you could offer the hand of friendship? Sounds like the poor woman is going through hell at the moment.

Zacsbird Fri 30-Sep-11 23:32:06

Thanks again for your replies, he came back yesterday morning safe and sound. Can't really say much more really.

Zacsbird Fri 30-Sep-11 23:42:02

Apart from Complexnumber, read the post hun, he was in a garage not up a tree!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now