Talk

Advanced search

To think taking sleeping medication is not a good idea

(16 Posts)
AuntiePickleBottom Wed 28-Sep-11 21:09:48

been to the doctors today about my lack of sleep, I am going to sleep approx between 12 and 1 am every night.

He prescribed sleeping Meds, but I think I may get to sleep but if the dc wake I will not hear them or sleep through the alarm

AuntiePickleBottom Wed 28-Sep-11 21:11:34

The alarm goes off at 5.15 so need more than anaverage of 4 hours sleep

Dirtydishesmakemesad Wed 28-Sep-11 21:13:12

I may be wrong so hopefully someone can correct me if I am but I thought that most meds wont actually knock you out totally so if the dcs cry or the alarm goes off you will still wake? My mother took alot of sleep meds but i dont remember ever having to do more than poke her to wake her.
If you relaly are having trouble sleeping I would give it a whirl

Riveninabingle Wed 28-Sep-11 21:14:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

aldiwhore Wed 28-Sep-11 21:15:14

Same knowledge as above... they don't knock you out as such, but are more to ease you into a natural sleep. Those I've known who've been on sleeping pills and taken the prescribed doseage at the right times have not had a problem waking in an emergency or when 'pre-programmed' (ie., children).

wobblypig Wed 28-Sep-11 21:16:10

Are you using any stimulants - coffee, tea etc. In first instance I would switch to decaff and use either hot milk or a small alcoholic beverage before bed. Before goign to bed do soemthing boring - not reading a good book - try a realy boring book on algebra or latin or something , or ironing.

Try some lavender oil on your pillow ; can you get a massage before bed. Important not to lie in bed trying to get to sleep - if not asleep get back up again and do soemthing dull again.

Could also try herbal nytol.

slapshead Wed 28-Sep-11 21:16:20

I took them for a brief while and never had a problem waking to an alarm. I'd feel groggy, but I would wake. Just take them early enough in the evening that they've worn off by morning.

But not, being on sleeping meds for long is not a good idea. Are you getting lots of exercise? I think that can reset your sleep quite well.

therugratref Wed 28-Sep-11 21:16:20

What are they? I had got myself into a cycle of insomnia and was prescribed a two week course of zopiclone. I got back into a normal sleep pattern and never slept through alarm.

AgentZigzag Wed 28-Sep-11 21:17:19

I would be worried about not waking up for the DCs as well, but surely the doctor must know you have children and so wouldn't give you enough to knock a horse out?

I would say taking it might be a good idea for a short term problem, ie if you haven't got a long term medical problem that's stopping you sleeping.

Do you normally sleep OK?

If you do, have you got any idea why you're not getting more than 4 hours sleep a night?

AuntiePickleBottom Wed 28-Sep-11 21:23:40

Not sure what they are called, I do exercise and only drink 1 cup of coffee a day.

I just can't switch off

herbietea Wed 28-Sep-11 21:28:24

Message withdrawn

purplepidjinawoollytangle Wed 28-Sep-11 21:30:09

9pm Hot bath, with book/radio/cd and lavender bubbles.

10pm Bed with hot milk (contains a trace of melatonin, the hormone that tells your brain it's night) and a book. Take 2 Kalms/equivalent

10:30 lights out. Count to 100, preferably in a foreign language you only studied at school. Regulate your breathing - in for four, out for four. I find radio 2 very very quietly gives my mind something to focus on that isn't whatever random anxiety has raised it's ugly head

If you're really struggling, take a dose of Kalms at lunch and tea time. No caffeine after 4pm, no internet/computer/anything that emits electro-magnetic radiation after 8pm.

Obviuosly timings can be adjusted to suit wink

And no, I don't follow my own advice every night!

purplepidjinawoollytangle Wed 28-Sep-11 21:31:26

Ooh, and Dr Stuart's Tranquility Tea type things are very good if you don't like milk. Stuff with Chamomile boak is magic i cover the taste with honey and it still works

dreamingbohemian Wed 28-Sep-11 21:37:58

This may sound crazy, but after having trouble getting to sleep for years, I am finally able to by taking some magnesium tablets when I go to bed. My osteopath suggested them as helpful for 'racing thoughts' insomnia and while i was very sceptical they are actually working really, really well.

I had tried everything else suggested so far and nothing worked, I don't know why magnesium does for me, but it's worth a try.

AuntiePickleBottom Wed 28-Sep-11 21:38:05

Sounds a good idea purple

mosschops30 Wed 28-Sep-11 21:42:41

Paul mckennas 'i can make you sleep' download is fab, you can put it on your iphone/ipad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now