Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be annoyed at myself?!

(11 Posts)
MaryPoppinsMagic Wed 28-Sep-11 20:17:27

So i have allowed myself to be walked over.. I have just registered as a childminder and have had 2 parents lined up for a few weeks, i have been to soft and i don't know how to get out of it!

Parent 1 - the college are paying me for the childcare, they apparently pay at the start of each term so i have had to figure out the childcare costs for the rest of the school term - fine done.

the problem is, one of the children has learning difficulties so the school cannot confirm when they are taking him on full time - the college are saying they are with holding my payment until it is confirmed what hours, this is no good to me as i need to be paid for the hours i work and not 'wait and see'

they basically want me to work for nothing for this term and pay at the end of it! urmmm no?! but stupid me because i need the kids to mind i say 'ok then' How do i solve this?!

Parent 2 - Firstly wanted me to pick her son up from school and drive him home (10 miles) to his grandparents house every day, i said i cannot do this because i have other children to consider, then she wanted me to look after her son after school for 2.5 hours, on investigation i have found most if not all CM's charge full hours and not half hours, but i have already given her the costs worked out based on the half hours, i told parent i require a month upfront and she said ok and then...

I am supposed to be starting with this child from monday and tonight the parent has said she wants to pay me weekly by cheque!! I do not want to accept cheques as it means a treck into town and waiting for it to clear while i mind her child!

she then tells me tonight her son may be getting transferred to another school in a few weeks, i told her my contracts require 4 weeks notice but i will do 1 week notice contract on this occassion, so basically i am a stop gap..

AIBU to feel a little walked over? how can i avoid this in future? i am so stressed worrying about money and trying to work out when i will get anything! Popping this into childminders aswell!

CailinDana Wed 28-Sep-11 20:20:08

YANBU I'm afraid. Remember that you're running a business and put your business head on when talking to clients. It's fine to be somewhat accommodating as it will help you hang onto clients but you've bent over backwards for very little reward.

Consider it a lesson learned, don't be too hard on yourself, and be tougher the next time!

MaryPoppinsMagic Wed 28-Sep-11 20:25:39

i think i have tried to be softly softly as i do not want parents thinking i am a hard faced cow grin

would ibu to change my system for any new parents or do i need to be consistent?

rhondajean Wed 28-Sep-11 20:30:01

Work out what is going to work for you re charging full hours, being paid weekly/cash etc, and type it up into a little info sheet. Put down nice stuff too - like what you will do with the kids and your interests and pets etc, also where you will pick up from, notice periods etc.

Then you can give people it and for some reason, if its written down its much easier to enforce (the paper has a magic quality, if you say something it can be ignored, if you write it down, its OFFICIAL haha).

CailinDana Wed 28-Sep-11 20:31:05

You need to decide very firmly for yourself what your limits are and stick to them, barring unusual circumstances of course. It's better for the parents to know where they stand too. Stick to the four weeks' notice, as that's essential, and decide how far you're willing to travel with a child. Don't be afraid to be firm about these things - the vast majority of CMs have a very set way of working so you won't stand out as being odd or anything. When it comes to money, hard faced cow is the only way to go!

Oh and WRT to the college paying for the first child, tell the parent he or she will need to pay you from their own pocket and be reimbursed by the college. DO NOT work for free.

MaryPoppinsMagic Fri 30-Sep-11 17:12:53

ell, parent 2 reached a whole new level of taking the proverbial this evening!

After telling the mother that I can only accept cash and that they need to return the welcome pack before the child starts on monday!

Well tonight the father turns up..

No welcome pack and a cheque book. I told him nicely I can't accept cheques and I need the welcome pack before child starts on monday.

Not impressed by this whole situation to be honest.

MaryPoppinsMagic Fri 30-Sep-11 17:12:53

ell, parent 2 reached a whole new level of taking the proverbial this evening!

After telling the mother that I can only accept cash and that they need to return the welcome pack before the child starts on monday!

Well tonight the father turns up..

No welcome pack and a cheque book. I told him nicely I can't accept cheques and I need the welcome pack before child starts on monday.

Not impressed by this whole situation to be honest.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Fri 30-Sep-11 17:17:52

What's in the welcome pack?
Bear in mind, I've never used a CM, but,
can you get a welcome pack for each child?
In the pack, include your terms.
With regard to Monday, what happens if the child is brought to you but no money is forthcoming?

MaryPoppinsMagic Fri 30-Sep-11 17:27:59

The welcome pack has all my policies and procedures in, it has everything to do with eyfs and I need it all back before monday. Each child gets a pack as it becomes my log of everything for the child

I have to pick the child up from school on monday, the parent told me they will drop it off over the weekend. So hopefully they will do that!

MaryPoppinsMagic Fri 30-Sep-11 17:27:59

The welcome pack has all my policies and procedures in, it has everything to do with eyfs and I need it all back before monday. Each child gets a pack as it becomes my log of everything for the child

I have to pick the child up from school on monday, the parent told me they will drop it off over the weekend. So hopefully they will do that!

Groovee Fri 30-Sep-11 17:34:10

You're going to have to be strict and remain strict as it's a business. The college are taking the pee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now