Talk

Advanced search

I know I am but...

(12 Posts)
stayforthekids1 Wed 28-Sep-11 18:31:48

I have a dentist appointment and I know I HAVE to go...but...WAIL!

Last time I went to see the dentist, she informed me I was one of those unfortunate 'genetically disposed' people that get a lot of plaque forming right under the gums. I have good teeth, had my wisdom tooth out only and take care of them, but she said no amount of brushing, flossing blah blah can stop it and I need two monthly scales...with injections because they have to go below the gum line each time. She was very kind and arranged for me to have them on the nhs because of the frequency I will need them..for as long as I have teeth!

Its been six months and I havent gone. I know I need too, but just the thought of it. sad Big wimpy wuss that I am. Someone tell me to pull myself together and man up. It wont be that bad...will it? whimper

aldiwhore Wed 28-Sep-11 18:36:25

MAN UP! I'm having an extraction next week... meh.

YANBU I HATEHATEHATE the dentist but never miss an appointment because I'm more scared of having no teeth, they've always been problematic despite regular check ups and good at home dental hygeine (apart from smoking - bad me).

My DH has perfect teeth, no fillings, nothing but MAN he really really needs a descale and polish as they're unsightly to the point of beginning to make me feel a little sick... but he's a wuss, shit scared of the dentist and refuses to go.... I feel like smacking him one, BUT as I won't because I love him, may I smack you one instead??

YABU. BUT YANBU to be scared.

stayforthekids1 Wed 28-Sep-11 18:39:40

You can smack me one. You can smack me there. I am really toying with the idea of...oh next week. I will go next week. But I know I have to! I recently started smoking again....bad me sad and my gums have been a little not right...so I know know know that I have to go and that because of my 'genetic thingy' I am far more at risk of developing peritonitus or whatever its called but...wail.

I am going. But I am scared! I had my wisdom tooth out under local and it was a difficult extraction. Surely a lot more traumatic than a scale...but its just the thought of them scraping under my gums. Waaah!

lilyliz Wed 28-Sep-11 18:43:48

lets face it the really painful part is the bill even with an NHS dentist.

NatashaBee Wed 28-Sep-11 18:56:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stayforthekids1 Wed 28-Sep-11 18:57:04

Im going. I may not return! But I have wine on home arrival...wish me luck!

NatashaBee Wed 28-Sep-11 18:57:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marymaryalittlecontrary Wed 28-Sep-11 19:22:41

I feel for you. I would hate to be told that I needed to go so often.

Actually I have an appointment on Monday. It is my first for about 5 years, and that was my first ever. My mum had a fear of dentists due to a bad experience and so never took me, and subsequently I have a fear of going. When I did go I had to go to the hygienist and get plaque scraped off my teeth. I was terrified all the time the woman was doing it that my teeth were going to fall out. Thankfully they didn't, but after that I just put off going to the dentist for years.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and go, mainly because I want advice on how to improve the whiteness of my teeth. I am very scared though. I hate looking at my teeth for fear I'll see one about to fall out or something, so I hate the idea of someone actually touching them!

When I have kids I'll take them to the dentist regularly when they're little so that they won't fear it when they're adults!

buzzskillington Wed 28-Sep-11 19:24:45

Go, you don't want bad gum disease - your teeth would fall out eventually.

youarekidding Wed 28-Sep-11 19:30:02

YANBU. I go to the dentist monthly as my teeth are in a bad way. They look fine to look at (except the overbite and wonkyness) but suffer with really bad gum problems and abcesses.

So sympathies but a kick up the arse.................. you know you need it wink

stayforthekids1 Wed 28-Sep-11 20:01:03

well! I only had the fittest dentist on the planet. Rrrrr, he was hot. He can do whatever he likes to my teeth grin so turns out they are in good nick and so are my gums, but I have a wee infection in the very front lower gums which he says is caused by smoking blush so I have a little course of antibiotics to clear that up. Have to go back for a clean, but he said they didnt look bad at all!

youarekidding Wed 28-Sep-11 20:53:25

grin

Great news and if the hot dentist get's you back there then all the better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now