Talk

Advanced search

To be really shitting myself? Think we may have a guest.

(181 Posts)
beatrixkitto Wed 28-Sep-11 17:38:45

To cut a long story short........ Moved to our lovely detached (this is relevant) house at the start of the year and everything has been fine and dandy, we have plenty of space, 3 large bedrooms, family bathroom, downstairs w.c. conservatory etc.... The house is 30s style with bay windows etc

Anyhoo, a couple of months ago dh were in bed on a sunday morning a lovely bright morning, birds singing outside etc and started to hear banging noises coming from the attic it was coming from both the outside wall where the bay window is and the wall opposite (next to dd1 bedroom) as soon as I sat up in bed it stopped immediatley. Then the following weekend it happened again, this time I kept myself laid down with my eyes closed and it carried on for a good 5/6 mins untill there was a loud bang that shocked me and I sat up, again it stopped and DH and I had the "what the fuck was that?" conversation.

We haven't really thought about it or spoken about it until now, we have been upstairs with DD I have been in the shower etc, DH waiting to get out of work overalls and jump in etc and started to play with DD and is jumping around, doing a silly little dance etc to make her laugh and the banging started again only this time really loud and was echoing DH's banging. This happened around half an hour ago, it went on for around 10 mins.

If this is not a ghost what the hell else could it be? I am at home during the day with DD and am now bricking it for tomorow and being home alone.

beatrixkitto Wed 28-Sep-11 17:39:27

Can't believe I just said anyhoo.

AtYourCervix Wed 28-Sep-11 17:40:27

racoon? pigeon? possum? skunk? ghost?

Deesus Wed 28-Sep-11 17:40:40

Daft question but have you looked up in the attic.....?

lubeybooby Wed 28-Sep-11 17:41:17

banging... what kind of banging... can you compare it to something like footsteps, or tapping, or a drum or something?

could it be the hot water pipes? they make some weird WEIRD noises in my house on and off.

bringmesunshine2009 Wed 28-Sep-11 17:41:18

I don't believe in ghosts exactly, but would also be pooping my pants. Send DH to look in attic I reckon.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 28-Sep-11 17:41:24

Water hammer in the pipes? Get a plumber in and check the ballcock in the header tank as well.

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Wed 28-Sep-11 17:42:01

Go and look <curious>

AgentZigzag Wed 28-Sep-11 17:42:23

Was it windy?

StrandedBear Wed 28-Sep-11 17:43:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

picnicbasketcase Wed 28-Sep-11 17:43:54

Is there any point speculating if you haven't looked yet? Go and look. Then if the noises continue call a priest.

beatrixkitto Wed 28-Sep-11 17:44:22

It is like someone banging down from the attic with their fists or stamping their feet. What was weirder is that it was echoing dh's banging.

ThePumpkinKing Wed 28-Sep-11 17:44:44

Pipes, almost every weirdness originates in the pipes.

I suppose you might have a haunted water system. I once read a ghost story where a ghost tapped out S.O.S on the pipes.

or giant rats are knoking over the stuff in your attic. I read a story like that once too.

I need to read more 'worthy' stuff.

lubeybooby Wed 28-Sep-11 17:45:03

right - send your dh up to look!

Birdsgottafly Wed 28-Sep-11 17:45:38

You can have rats in your loft/attic.

You need to have a look, rodents can cause a lot of damage. If could be pigeons, it will need fumigating.

beatrixkitto Wed 28-Sep-11 17:45:54

Dh has just been up there to check and there is nothing out of the ordinary up there.

northerngirl41 Wed 28-Sep-11 17:46:24

Squirrels in the attic? They make one hell of a racket!!

picnicbasketcase Wed 28-Sep-11 17:46:56

Not even a spooky, creaking empty rocking chair moving all by itself?

<disappointed>

nakedandangry Wed 28-Sep-11 17:47:56

I second getting a plumber in to check the pipes. How old is the ch system? If it has pump it may not be doing its job ( whatever that is, I'm getting out of my depth now so will shut up). Any way ghosts sort of 'whoo' rather than bang don't they?

ThePumpkinKing Wed 28-Sep-11 17:48:00

I seriousy doubt that your house is haunted by a phantom banger, if that's what you're getting at grin

lubeybooby Wed 28-Sep-11 17:48:31

How odd.

I still reckon it could be pipes, mine make noises that sound nothing like you would expect. Banging, creaking, allsorts.

ThePumpkinKing Wed 28-Sep-11 17:48:34

seriously even!

Sillyness Wed 28-Sep-11 17:48:58

pigeons? must be bloody big pigeons!!

nakedandangry Wed 28-Sep-11 17:49:21

<am aware how clueless I must appear in my above post>

beatrixkitto Wed 28-Sep-11 17:49:38

Shit. What the hell am I going to do? Dh is a bit of a sceptic as I usually am but this has really shit me up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now