Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that this maybe a scam? Geeky input needed....

(16 Posts)
msfishneedsabycycle Wed 28-Sep-11 17:36:55

Came home from work to a phone call from a "Kevin Davis" who said that my computer was full of viruses and would crash in a couple of weeks if his company were not able to fix it for me. He declined to write to me with details of the problems but did give phone number and name of company - in Brent....
"windows security service centre"....AIBU to think that it would be foolish of me to just give his company access to my computer to "fix" it? He also said he had my computer license number????

lubeybooby Wed 28-Sep-11 17:37:28

well known scam. ignore.

Byeckerslike Wed 28-Sep-11 17:38:33

Ignore definitely, well publicised recently

msfishneedsabycycle Wed 28-Sep-11 17:38:59

Thank you Lubey. Have a thanks

olibeansmummy Wed 28-Sep-11 17:53:01

Scam! And I'm not even a technology geek

mumwithdice Wed 28-Sep-11 18:01:01

Oh, scam definitely.

ivykaty44 Wed 28-Sep-11 18:02:59

If you do phone him - can you give me a call and I am happy to have a couple hundred quid off you as well [flowers]

msfishneedsabycycle Wed 28-Sep-11 18:03:02

Thanks everyone.....I must be a bit of an innocent as I half believed him when he said computer would crash....imagine...no mumsnet!

plupervert Wed 28-Sep-11 18:03:58

Remote control of your computer can be granted - I did it once to sort out a problem with my Norton antivirus. However, I made the call. It was bloody scary, to see the cursor skipping about the screen, REMOTELY.

<shudder>

planetpotty Wed 28-Sep-11 18:04:29

This kind of thing is called scareware if you have upto date AV you will be fine.

Sometimes it comes in the form of nasties which will say quick click this or your PC will contract a virus and then in clicking that actually gives you the virus.

Only trust things that come from your AV (as I say as long as its up to date).

Pandemoniaa Wed 28-Sep-11 18:07:52

I was round at ds2's place last week when exactly this sort of call came through. Ddil spoke to the scamming gits and told them that she thought they'd cope very easily without Mr Davis's services and take the consequences of the terrifying crash that he so confidently predicted. Chancers!! So ignore all and any of these calls if you get any more.

Crazyfatmamma Wed 28-Sep-11 18:10:00

It happened to me recently- this guy was also called ''Kevin''. I put the phone down straight away.

gethelp Wed 28-Sep-11 18:14:09

I laughed and put the phone down yesterday and the fucker phoned me back and asked me why I was laughing! I said I find attempted fraud always makes me giggle, put the phone down and he rang back again! I asked him which IP address the report was coming from as we have five in the house, this time he put the phone down.

fit2drop Wed 28-Sep-11 18:14:48

Scam doing the rounds again,

They rang me some time ago, I let him do the speel, I acted dumb(not so difficult) asked some silly questions which he tried to baffle mw with waffle telling me how serious this virus was that they had detected and only they could get rid of it etc etc etc
convo ended with me acting saying in a very worried voice "where is this virus"
him saying in a patronising tone "in your computor"

me saying " We don't have a computor"

He hung up grin

msfishneedsabycycle Wed 28-Sep-11 18:24:43

I have Kaspersky...can we have bun fight about what security is best.....grin

DilysPrice Wed 28-Sep-11 18:32:55

Repeat after me.

"A bug within Windows you say? Oh I think there must be some mistake because l don't use Microsoft, I'm running an experimental operating system on my home machine. It's called Pombear."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now