Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this is not normal?

(10 Posts)
SexualHarrassmentPandaPop Wed 28-Sep-11 14:34:07

DH has been to the GP this morning to request a vasectomy. They spoke about it and the GP filled in his referral.

Then he asked DH to strip from the waist down so he could examine his testicles for cancer (which dh obligingly did grin ) DH hadn't mentioned any pain or lumps or anything. Is that standard procedure?

I told dh I would find it weird if I went to the doctor to ask about being sterilised and he asked to examine my breasts to check for cancer.

AIBU to think that seems odd?

Lizcat Wed 28-Sep-11 14:36:13

The GP checked DH's testicles before signing the referral. In our area it is because they are done by a private clinic so if the clinic finds something they send you back to the GP no vasectomy, but the NHS still has to pay for the procedure as the clinic is out of pocket.

Dirtydishesmakemesad Wed 28-Sep-11 14:36:47

It does sound a little odd - maybe the doctor though he would just make the most of the visit!

SexualHarrassmentPandaPop Wed 28-Sep-11 14:38:16

It's not done privately here but I'm sure they had their reasons. DH seems unfazed by it anyway. Despite me ribbing him that a man asked to feel his balls and he just let him grin

aldiwhore Wed 28-Sep-11 14:39:45

Maybe it was a case of 'while you're here lets check you out'.... when I had breast pain in one boob the GP checked both and had a good look at them. Nothing untoward, he already suspected the pain was 'just one of those things' but it didn't hurt to have a thoroughly good check.

Men notoriously don't go and have a tezzer check, even if something feels wrong.... so I guess your GP was catching him will he could?

SexualHarrassmentPandaPop Wed 28-Sep-11 14:40:52

But surely they wouldn't just examine you if you went in with a throat infection? Maybe they should though as men don't go to the docs with these things like you say.

AKMD Wed 28-Sep-11 14:42:41

I went to the doctor for something yesterday and 'while I was there' she gave me the flu jab. <shrug> saves me making another appointment. I would have quite liked to have had a cervical smear done too but there's only so much you can fit in to a 5 minute slot.

aldiwhore Wed 28-Sep-11 14:43:51

Correct me if I'm wrong OP but a vasectomy happens around the nethers, so its all 'nethers' related!!

If he went in with a throat infection, yes, that would be weird grin

SexualHarrassmentPandaPop Wed 28-Sep-11 14:45:54

I guess I thought it was weird cos he didn't have them out anyway. But I'm sure the doctor wasn't doing it for fun was just wondering why. I'm still going to pretend to dh that I think he was doing it for fun though

aldiwhore Wed 28-Sep-11 14:49:44

Don't blame you OP, anything to wind an OH up about is valid - on that note, YANBU at all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now