Talk

Advanced search

to think Dr's surgeries shouldn't ban buggies?

(138 Posts)
AlbaDeTamble Wed 28-Sep-11 11:13:47

Mine does, and I generally ignore and a blind eye is given, but yesterday unavoidably with both DCs with me (4yo and 8mo) with all their bags and baggage from the day, just picked up from childminder, I was told I couldn't come in with the buggy. The waiting room was not full. So it wasn't a space issue.
I said either we came in with the buggy or they cancel my appointment (did not feel up to carrying everything) so they relented, after much tutting, and I felt very scolded.
But it strikes me as a highly unreasonable rule? The HCP I saw quoted 'fire hazard' and 'it makes the carpets dirty' and 'elderly people may trip over the buggy'. I don't see any shops or crowded cafes banning buggies for any of those reasons, so why should a Dr's surgery?
But it appears to be common round here... I went to check out next nearest surgery this morning (with sleeping baby in buggy) and they had a big sign in the door saying 'Prams and Pushchairs must be left outside' so I got no further.
Is this really the norm everywhere? Is it really reasonable?

CustardCake Wed 28-Sep-11 11:17:58

Our old surgery banned buggies and since we moved, our new one does too so in my limited experience 100% follow this rule.

I have never noticed anybody feeling overly put out by it. I walk most places and just left school bags in the shopping basket (even in London nobody's going to nick those) if I needed to and carried the rest inside with us. Lots of tiny babies arrive in car seats which are allowed inside.

Your single buggy in itself isn't going to be a problem like you say but like all these rules, if they allowed everyone to do it, the whole waiting room could be packed full of buggies and prams some days and the floors would get filthy and it would be dangerous to have even just 3 or 4 of them in a smallish waiting room.

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Wed 28-Sep-11 11:19:25

Get a sling. There are plenty of cafes near me that do say no buggies allowed, and with good reason.

BigBadBear Wed 28-Sep-11 11:20:55

Seems odd. My surgery has two designated areas for buggies (quite big, you can get about four or six in each), and there is seating nearby so you can sit down if your child is asleep in the buggy, and they have never batted an eyelid at anyone taking their pushchair into the consultation rooms. In fact, they've just installed a second floor plus lift, so it's all very parent friendly.

Is the waiting area not very big at your surgery?

belgo Wed 28-Sep-11 11:21:10

You can choose to not go into a cafe, but you can't choose not to go to the GP if your child is ill.

I have never come across this rule in Belgium and I have to say, it is a ridiculous rule.

It's fine to say carry a baby in a sling, but what about an ill older child, who is too ill to walk to the GP?

LRDTheFeministDragon Wed 28-Sep-11 11:21:32

Ours does and the reason given is that you use that buggy all the time so pushing it into a waiting room full of airborne germs is not the best idea. I've never really thought much about it, mind - just a thought?

It does seem a bit of a pain (and surely shoes from outside are just as messy as buggy wheels?).

AmberLeaf Wed 28-Sep-11 11:22:00

YANBU

I can sort of understand the reasons why they do this, but at the same time its a tad ridiculous.

Ive been at surgeries where they wouldnt let you bring them in [what exactly do they expect you to do with them after youve walked there with them?!] and ive been to other surgeries where they werent a problem so clearly its workable.

It always pissed me off and I did on occasion refuse to not bring it in stating that I dont drive so needed the buggy.

AlbaDeTamble Wed 28-Sep-11 11:22:09

I have a sling and usually use it, but SPD is back with a vengeance so I can't sad. The buggy does all my carrying for me for now.

slavetofilofax Wed 28-Sep-11 11:22:34

yabu, especially because you tried to blackmail the staff over your appointment! How selfish! You would waste an appointment and the doctors time just because you couldn't get your own way or couldn't be arsed to carry your own stuff! hmm

Your appoinment obviously wasn't that essential if you could think of cancelling it on a whim like that.

Just because the surgery wasn't busy when you went in, doesn't mean it's like that all the time. One buggy probably isn't a hazard, but more than two would be, so that have to have the rule.

Upwardandonward Wed 28-Sep-11 11:24:39

My surgery has a buggy park outside - although it's a nuisance, the building is a terraced townhouse.

Quintessentialist Wed 28-Sep-11 11:25:34

My old surgery took this a little step further. They moved to premises that did not have space to park anywhere nearby. They said it was for environmental reasons. You either walk to the surgery, or come by bike!

The only parking spaces were of course reserved for people working at the surgery. Of course you can at the same time overlook the environment for a bit and be encouraged to come by car to work, when you are fit and healthy and have no sick kids to ferry around....

MrsBuntysSunnyCuldeSac Wed 28-Sep-11 11:26:58

YABU, sorry. i have come across this at a previous surgery I was registered at and whilst it caused me inconvenience I can understand why they do it and complied. You sounded like you were unnecessarily rude at your surgery and are being precious.

Whatmeworry Wed 28-Sep-11 11:29:13

Its not your buggy thats the problem OP, it's when everyone else brings theirs too- bear inmind illpeople also quite often have restructed mobility.

I wish the local Cafe Nero would ban buggies too, it can be nearly impossible to walk around in it when its in full PFB session and you are balancing a tray of stuff.

Dirtydishesmakemesad Wed 28-Sep-11 11:29:16

yanbu my pushchair was stolen from outside a building that banned them a couple of years ago. People who dont have cars cant always use a sling especially if they have more than one child or like me have an injury or coniditon that makes it painful. Fair enough to ask you to fold them once in the surgery if the space is that limited but to ban them altogether is unreasonable.

mousymouse Wed 28-Sep-11 11:33:00

my old gp was in an old victorian house with narrow corridors and stairs, but they had a porch where you could leave the pushchair.
my new gp is in a purpose build building and pushchairs are allowed. would be silly if not, as many people in our area don't use cars.

fatlazymummy Wed 28-Sep-11 11:33:47

I thought that this was common practice. Yes, inconvenient at times, but just one of those things that you have to put up with.

MrsHuxtable Wed 28-Sep-11 11:34:00

Hmmm, buggies are bannes inside my GP's as well. My baby is still in utero so it never bothered me but

what happens if you have twins?? You can't put them both in a sling, can you?

EldonAve Wed 28-Sep-11 11:34:00

One of our local surgeries has this rule and it's a reason why I wouldn't use them

Sidge Wed 28-Sep-11 11:34:43

I have worked in three GP surgeries - 2 (including the one where I work now) let buggies in but one didn't. It was a converted old house and there just wasn't the space for pushchairs, especially some of the monstrous beasts seen nowadays. There was a sheltered Buggy Park outside, slightly round to the side of the surgery.

Even where I work now it can get a bit jammed with buggies, mobility scooters, walking frames, wheeled trollies etc and we have quite a spacious surgery. I dread to think how we would easily evacuate if the fire alarm went off confused

NestaFiesta Wed 28-Sep-11 11:35:02

YANBU. They expect everyone to bloody drive these days.

Also- the "use a sling" argument. I get so tired of hearing this. I used a sling for six months with my DS and loved it. Once he hit the 20lb mark it was hard to walk and breathe at the same time. I have asthma and now he is 28lb I have no chance of getting him in a sling unless I walk on all fours.

And yes I can see the arguments for not enough room, and muddy wheels etc but what are we supposed to do when its raining or when the surgery is 2 miles walk?

elliejjtiny Wed 28-Sep-11 11:35:20

DS2 didn't walk until he was nearly 3 and by then I had ds3. I could never have carried a nearly 3 year old and a newborn plus bags into the waiting room and then through the rabbit warren of corridors to our gp's room.

coccyx Wed 28-Sep-11 11:35:29

Do the surgeries not plan for the likelihood of a parent and child using the centre?? Ridiculous and bad planning on their behalf. Do they allow wheelchairs? think of the dirt they must bring in and as for saying a buggy will pick up all the germs present??? crazy

acatcalledfelix Wed 28-Sep-11 11:36:10

At my surgery you can't take them upstairs (so to several of the clinics) but you can to the GP's. At my local baby clinics you are expected to take your baby out and park your buggy in one of the designated spaces (which are pretty secure). I'm sure with two LO's it's very tricky and I may be a bit miffed if they don't make the odd exception (if you have a sleeping sick baby for instance)

worraliberty Wed 28-Sep-11 11:37:03

Buggies have to be left in the lobby at my Doc's and the same at my old Doc's.

If I were the receptionist I would have simply cancelled your appointment.

Catslikehats Wed 28-Sep-11 11:38:12

My old surgery banned buggies too - always think it is very odd especially when most of the time you are at the drs you are there becaue either you or your DC is sick and therefore carrying anyone other than an infant is quite an onerous task.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now