Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why people say "full fat" coke?

(135 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Wed 28-Sep-11 10:10:19

Because it's not. Coke has no more fat in it than Diet Coke or Coke Zero. The difference is that Diet Coke is sugar-free but instead has all the other nasty sweeterners. So if you have to, call it "full sugar" coke or whatever but
FULL FAT coke does not exist. It's one of my pet peeves.....

MissPenteuth Wed 28-Sep-11 10:12:25

I think people just mean 'not diet'. They're not speaking literally.

CristinadellaPizza Wed 28-Sep-11 10:12:51

I'm sure most people realise that it hasn't got any fat in it. hmm I think it's a bit of a joke, a sort of ironic take on the dieting industry.

Guadalupe Wed 28-Sep-11 10:13:50

I've heard it called fat coke rather than full fat coke - I assume because of the amount of sugar and therefore calories in it.

MrsHuxtable Wed 28-Sep-11 10:15:19

Feeling rather pedantic this morning..

itisnearlysummer Wed 28-Sep-11 10:15:31

Yep, it's irony. No one thinks there is fat in coke!

discobeaver Wed 28-Sep-11 10:15:31

There's fat coke and thin coke. Everyone knows that.

BarbaraWoodlouse Wed 28-Sep-11 10:16:10

We say Leaded and Unleaded grin

smartyparts Wed 28-Sep-11 10:18:11

I say 'full fat' coke but am aware that there's no fat in it! Think it's just become part of the common vernacular.

MrsHuxtable Wed 28-Sep-11 10:19:19

It's different, I guess, if everyone knows it doesn't have fat. I'm not a native speaker, you see, so stuff like that irritates me when I don't know any better.

A similar thing for example is that people here keep calling all sorts of drink, especially fizzy drink, JUICE. I always have to force myself not to say, "but it's not juice".

MissPenteuth Wed 28-Sep-11 10:24:11

I call squash 'juice'. I know it's not really juice, but I use the word as a collective term for fruit-flavoured drinks. <shrug>

Arion Wed 28-Sep-11 10:24:20

Fat coke / thin coke - you get fat drinking too much of the sugar one!

GetOffOfMyCloud Wed 28-Sep-11 10:25:56

YANBU, it's just fallen into everyday speech for a lot of people. I call them fat coke (sometimes with the full) and skinny coke, even though I know there's no actual fat in either.

Now juice for all drinks I completely agree with you there. Juice and squash are two different things but often get called the same, and as for calling a fizzy drink "juice" confused!! YANBU!!!

PopcornMouse Wed 28-Sep-11 10:26:19

Imho it's called "full fat" because if you don't use the sugar you consume, it turns to fat and, well, makes you gain weight...

GetOrfMo1Land Wed 28-Sep-11 10:27:25

Getoffofmycloud every time I see you on here I think it's me at first grin

I don't get why people call it full fat when there is no fat in it, it's stupid. I call it red coke and diet coke.

AnitaDrink Wed 28-Sep-11 10:28:29

Yadnbu! Most strangeconfused

SjuperWolef Wed 28-Sep-11 10:29:42

ive never heard it called full fat coke! you'd have to be a bit daft to come away with that surely? its coke then diet coke. ive heard it called red coke but only when weans are sent to get it in the shops you hear the mum minding them. all the other cokes dont exist in my world grin

ReadRideABikeSwim Wed 28-Sep-11 10:31:52

Now that IS being pedantic

I call it full fat - sugars turn to fat / jokey term for high calorie

missorinoco Wed 28-Sep-11 10:33:00

I say full fat coke. It's irony.

MrsHuxtable Wed 28-Sep-11 10:33:15

Arion - I like your explanation. I'll go with that one from now on.

GetOff - I work in a cafe / deli type shop and the looks I get when people ask me what kind of juice we have and I politely say "apple and orange" is hilarious. Well, actually not. They look at me like I'm an idiot. I then point out the fridge with all the standard fizzy drinks in it and yes, you wouldn't believe how often this happens...I'm in Scotland. Maybe it's a regional thing...
It took me years to "train" DH, who is Scottish, as we would keep bringing all sorts of drinks back when he was doing the shopping and the list said "juice". He still doesn't get the difference between juice and juice drink. Maybe I should just give up.

caramelwaffle Wed 28-Sep-11 10:34:20

It is said with irony i.e. obese or super obese person ordering a large meal in McDonalds and a diet Coke.

So people now say "full-fat Coke" for the irony.

BonnyBanks Wed 28-Sep-11 10:34:25

I'm assuming you don't live in Scotland or have any Scottish friends Mrs H otherwise the use of the term 'ginger' for any fizzy drink (including but not limited to, Irn Bru) would be driving you mad as well......,

eurochick Wed 28-Sep-11 10:35:07

I'm sure people who use the term "full fat coke" are well aware that there is no fat in it (I use the term and I certainly am). It's just a tongue in cheek name for it. I heard it first years ago when my old boss was bemoaning having to entertain some dull American clients and claimed their idea of a good night out was one full fat coke (he was a chap who liked his alcohol).

However sugar that is not used quickly will be turned to fat by the body so it's not that far off anyway.

I've never heard juice used for anything other than fruit juice (whether fresh or from concentrate). I've never heard it applied to squash. Maybe that's a regional thing.

BonnyBanks Wed 28-Sep-11 10:36:12

Oh x post Mrs H - you ARE in Scotland!

PeneloPeePitstop Wed 28-Sep-11 10:36:24

I call it full fat or fat coke.
I also used to call lambert and butler silver full fat fags...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now