Talk

Advanced search

Son likes wearing nail varnish..

(28 Posts)
pyjamasinbananas Wed 28-Sep-11 09:45:22

2 and a half yr old DS loves having his nails painted. I see no problem with it as it's just dressing up in my opinion but wanted some views on it FIL went mental saying he'd turn out a 'woofta' I told him to never repeat that to me again as I don't care if my son turns out to be gay/straight/unicorn/whatever but AIBU to paint his nails?
Am I setting him up to be bullied?

ArseyContarsie Wed 28-Sep-11 09:46:38

wearing nail polish cannot turn you gay and 2 yr olds don't get bullied

ArseyContarsie Wed 28-Sep-11 09:46:48

or bully

Sirzy Wed 28-Sep-11 09:47:07

I would tell your fil to grow up!

At that age they don't understand "girls things" and "boys things" and I for one won't be forcing those ideas on ds. He is nearly 2 and loves pretending to put my eyeshadow/face cream etc on!

pyjamasinbananas Wed 28-Sep-11 09:47:16

That's what I thought. Some of the other boys at nursery have beautiful nails as well so he isn't the only one

CristinadellaPizza Wed 28-Sep-11 09:47:30

So does my DS. Now he's at school, he's only allowed to wear it on the weekends though smile

Your FIL is an idiot

QueenOfFeckingEverything Wed 28-Sep-11 09:47:36

FIL is a numpty and clearly has issues smile

solidgoldbrass Wed 28-Sep-11 09:48:53

My DS is now 7 and still likes nail varnish, so I do his nails sometimes. Nail varnish (now and again) is fun. Tell your FIL not to be such a silly old fart and offer to paint his nails for him. After all, David Beckham wears nail varnish...

pyjamasinbananas Wed 28-Sep-11 09:50:18

Maybe I should get DS a sarong as well. He has beautiful eyelashes he'd have made a lovely girl. Unlike his tomboy sister who is sat here ignoring her dolls for the box of cars!!

itisnearlysummer Wed 28-Sep-11 09:50:43

My parents used to say the same to me about my DS who wore nail polish and his hair in bunches regularly before starting school.

He's since grown out of it and, at 12, is showing no signs of becoming a 'woofta'. And if he did, I wouldn't be attributing it to the nail polish and hairstyles of his early years!

Not only did he not get bullied for it, it was only the uber-boys (the ones who were encouraged to be a bit aggressive because that's what boys are like hmm) that didn't. Loads of his friends did at that age!

itisnearlysummer Wed 28-Sep-11 09:52:16

Oh and he enjoyed trying the make up testers in Boots until he was about 9 or 10! I think he probably still would and it's only embarrassment that stops him!

valiumredhead Wed 28-Sep-11 09:52:38

So did my ds - he loved having blue 'Power Ranger' nails grin

booyhoo Wed 28-Sep-11 09:53:11

my two and a half year old ds is currently sporting a daring red on his nails. he also like to have his hair brushed and put in a ponytail/plaited/pigtails. it wont make him gay. if he is gay, he will have been gay from before he ever knew what nail polish was.

pyjamasinbananas Wed 28-Sep-11 09:53:56

He wants barbie rapunzel for Christmas but also a monster truck. And he quite happily lets me put bunches and clips in his hair. He did cry a bit when I drew the line at him wearing his sisters dress to nursery but there's plenty of time for that when he's older!!
I let him girly up a lot more to visit FIL grin

Grumpla Wed 28-Sep-11 09:56:36

Tell your FiL that using the word "woofta" makes him sound like a bigoted old fart, and you rather your son turned out gay than one of those.

Add a tinkling merry "only joking" laugh at the end of the sentence, if you must.

I paint my DS's toenails sometimes, I used to paint my Dad's when I was a little girl too smile he's not turned into a "woofta" yet either. Mind you my sister is a lesbian. She HATES having her toenails painted....

pyjamasinbananas Wed 28-Sep-11 09:58:05

DD wears boys boots and hates having her nails done. funnily enough FIL hasnt accused her of being a lesbian yet!!

Hullygully Wed 28-Sep-11 09:58:43

He will deffo be homerseckshal and a danger

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Wed 28-Sep-11 09:59:37

Ah this thread is making me smile.

I remember those days! My son (now a hard looking strapping great 14 year old that even a drunken sailer wouldn't pick a fight with) used to prance around in his sisters pink tutu and wand and fairy wings.

I have a photo somewhere ready to show his first girlfriend.

OP - YANBU of course

Incidently I find "rock star" type slightly scruffy men who wear dark nail varnish incredibly attractive.

CoralRose Wed 28-Sep-11 10:06:17

YANBU

My 2.6yo has a princess obsession (he's watching Tinkerbell at the moment). They see no difference between boys and girls, it's so sad that people feel the need to label when it comes to such young children, they are learning and exploring just as children should, there should be no restrictions! My DS often pretends to put make up on when I'm doing mine, but he also copies Daddy and uses my nail file on the heels of his foot hmm

You need to be very careful that your DS doesn't pick up on these comments though, my DS recently got very upset at me picking out a princess toy for him at the supermarket, it later transpired that one of DHs friends made a remark that morning and DS was embarrassed sad

pyjamasinbananas Wed 28-Sep-11 10:07:39

I love that he can go from being a proper boy to a girly boy.-- Actually would quite like him to be a musical theatre star but don't want to conform to stereotypes--

pyjamasinbananas Wed 28-Sep-11 10:07:49

Bloody formatting!!

It's funny that I always loved painting ds's nail and toes until he sadly grew out of it, but I always feel slightly uncomfortable painting his younger sisters, with ds it was all play and pretend, whilst with dd I hate to feel I am 'prettifing' her.

SOmetimes dp lets me do his black for high days and holidayswink

pyjamasinbananas Wed 28-Sep-11 10:20:34

I feel weird about attempting to do DD's as well. Mainly as she's 15 months but also like I'm saying well you're a girl so you have to do this

itisnearlysummer Wed 28-Sep-11 10:22:57

WTWTA God I was think the exact same thing! My DS was rarely without nail polish as a young child, but I'm really against his sister wearing it for the same reason.

In my head - a boy with nail polish = parents who aren't conforming to stereotypes and are letting their child explore the world and express himself; a girl with nail polish - parents are conforming to stereotypes and teaching DD that the world will only value her for her beauty.

itisnearlysummer Wed 28-Sep-11 10:23:18

*same reason as you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now